“Lovely experience - as always!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carlton George Hotel

Carlton George Hotel
Ranked #18 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow
“Lovely experience - as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We often stay at this hotel around Christmas time when we have our "shopping weekend" with friends. Great location for going back and forth with the shopping to save having it lug it around all day. OK, probably not the most modern of hotels (I actually prefer that) but pleasant well equiped rooms and very clean. The mini bar and free drinks lounge is a nice touch and is a nice way to end the day. We have never seen it being "abused" and offers a cosy atmosphere. Staff extremely nice, helpful and efficient - they do deserve a special mention. All in all a lovely experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room 3rd floor and above and facing the back to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Turkish first
West lothian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in an executive room which had access to the lounge with inclusive drinks which is a nice touch. I found the hotel a bit dated in decor. Our room was large with old style furniture with handles missing, drinks decanters stoppers were mismatched, our room had not been cleaned well on our return and we had to contact reception. The breakfasts were good, service was good and dealt with our complaint promptly and you could not get a better location but for not much more money you could stay in the blythswood which I would recommend.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments. I am sorry for the lack of attention detail in your room, I can sssure you that these deficiencies will be addressed and everything perfect on your next visit. Thanks also for the positvie feedback about the service.

Regards

Duncan Johnston
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Once again another great stay at this comfotable hotel situated in he centre of glasgow. I should stay out at the airport since I am always catching a flight he following day but this is a little piece of comfort before braving Moscow

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had found the Carlton George Glasgow online in 2008, after my husband and I had enjoyed a fantastic long weekend at a sister property in Brussels, Belgium. I enjoyed our stay so much that I looked at the hotel's corporate page and discovered there were others in the group, including one in Glasgow. My husband and I meant to get to Glasgow before our tenth anniversary, but it never worked out. So here was our chance to try out the Carlton George Glasgow at long last.

Finding the hotel

We arrived in Glasgow to clouds and cold mist. A friendly cab driver with a strong Scottish brogue promised to get us as close as possible to the entrance of the Carlton George. As it turned out, we were just in time for the city to be putting up Christmas lights and the street we needed was blocked. That was a pity, since we had a lot of luggage. It was about 4:30pm, but it was kind of dark outside. After hauling our bags to the main drag, we set them down and my spouse went looking for the hotel. A few minutes later, we found 44 West George Street, the address for the narrow building containing our bed for the next two nights. It's literally right next to the main shopping drag and is within walking distance to great shopping and restaurants.

First impressions

The small lobby had gaslit fireplace and a library motif painted on the walls. A couple of suited gentlemen were helping other guests as we approached. I had prepaid for a club room, but we needed to leave a credit card imprint for incidentals. As the receptionist was giving us the lowdown on our new digs, he told us the mini-bar was free "so drink up", he said, making a drinking motion with his hands.

We hauled our bags to the fifth floor with no help. I opened the door to a cozy room decorated in a Scottish motif. There was a queen sized bed, a desk with a lamp and a mirror above it, a flatscreen television, a small refrigerator stocked with beverages, and a liquor cabinet with three decanters containing scotch, vodka, and gin as well as the appropriate drinking glasses. When I opened the cabinet and peeked in, I also found a tea set that contained the makings coffee and hot chocolate as well. Internet access via Wi-Fi was included in the room rate.

Bathroom

The tartan motif continued in the bathroom, which sported a tub, shower, and a heated towel rack. High quality toiletries were included, though there wasn't any conditioner for my hair or mouthwash to cover up the smell of free booze. We later had to go to the drug store to pick some up. Luckily, there is a shopping mall just steps away from this hotel.

Breakfast and restaurants

I can't comment on the quality of breakfast or other food at the Carlton George since we didn't include it in our room rate. Room service is available or we could have gone to the breakfast room and paid to eat there. Having read reviews on Trip Advisor about the breakfast and its priceiness, we decided to find local establishments instead.

The Carlton George has a rooftop restaurant on the 7th floor that supposedly offers nice views of Glasgow. We did not venture there, nor did we visit the Irish themed bar. Had we wanted to, though, we could have upgraded our room to the executive level and gotten access to the lounge which offers more "free" beverages and food. Normally, I would have gone for such a deal, but our stay was so short I decided it wasn't worth the extra money.

Sleeping

While I mostly liked the Carlton George Hotel, I can't give the bed very high marks. I think the problem mostly stemmed from the pillows, which were quite flat and uncomfortable. Of the three places we stayed during our trip to Scotland, I'd have to say the bed at the Carlton George was the least comfortable. However, we didn't have any issues with noise, probably because our window looked out into a small shaft that barely let in the minimal sunlight!

Checking out

We would not be picked up for our cruise until 3:30 pm, so we left our bags with the Carlton George's reception desk and went to a pub to pass the time. This was not a problem at all. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the train station if you are not laden down with bags like we were. The Carlton George is also right next door to a subway station.

Overall

I liked the Carlton George Hotel, though perhaps not as much as I did its sister property, The Dominican, in Brussels. I have to admit we enjoyed the free booze; my husband especially liked the whisky, which was of pretty good quality. The Carlton George is a good bet for business travelers and leisure travelers, though if I stayed again, I might opt for a more deluxe room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Gourock, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just had a magical night with my friends in Glasgow and it was the Carlton hotel in Glasgow that made it special! What a great deal we got, and our rooms were adjoining so we were not cut off from each other. The deal included dinner and the meal was great, really really tasty food. Access to the lounge was brilliant, although we did go out for a wander round the Christmas market and a quick shot on the hobby horses!! We went back to the hotel lounge and had such fun. I cannot write this review without mentioning the staff in the hotel, all the staff who served us were efficient, prompt but more than anything else they were welcoming and friendly, with a special thanks to Paul who looked after us in the lounge and the restaurant! In closing, all I can say is, that the girls will definitely be back next year for our annual trip to Glasgow! We've found the best!

Room Tip: Adjoining executive rooms !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had a lovely stay at this hotel. The location is great, right next to Queen Street train station etc. Our room looked onto a courtyard - not the prettiest view perhaps, but it did mean we had no problems with noise which I usually expect in a city centre. The staff were helpful and the room was good for the price - clean and comfy with a complimentary mini-bar. Breakfast was good too and there's a nice lounge on the top floor with free hot and cold drinks. We were also able to leave our bags at the hotel after checking out, so we could do a bit of shopping before heading out of the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bromley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stay here when visting a glasgow location for work.

The reception service is swift, free wi-fi throughout the hotel and in the room I had there was a free mini-bar. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was fine and the drinks cabinet was used.

There was access to the exec lounge which ahs a comoplimentary bar, lounge chairs and a TV showing the news.

My room rate included dinner and breakfast. All meals were cooked fresh to order and were tasty, well cooked and hit the spot. This hotel is close to nearby bars and the great shopping centre. Will bestaying there again quite happily.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business