“Quite good bit a bit dated”

Carlton George Hotel
Ranked #17 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Pros:
Location
Comfortable bed
Friendly staff
Great breakfast
Decent dinner food
Free bar on 7th floor

Cons:
Feels a bit dated...could use a bit of a modernisation and sprucing up a bit in the rooms
Room a bit cramped
Not the best of wifi signals, but works

Overall, a great stay, would stay again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Daniel5153
Write a ReviewReviews (1,920)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed for one night, third year in a row, excellent as always. Reception staff George and polish girl, she wasn't wearing a name badge were extremely helpful. Executive lounge was super as usual and I like there is a large flat screen tv. The newly redecorated rooms are lovely and I still like tartan tiles in the bathroom. I have recommended to friends and colleagues who have stayed more than once as well. A little gem in the centre of Glasgow.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alison R
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Went to the Carlton George as part of our honeymoon holiday taking in a few Scottish cities and we weren’t disappointed. I walk by the hotel everyday going to work and have always wanted to try it. The hotel is modern, clean and the staff are very helpful. We took advantage of the Sunday night offer with a 3 course meal,access to the executive suite and breakfast. The room was first class and it’s a great touch having complimentary Vodka/Gin/Whiskey and a mini Fridge with juice in it. The meal was superb with the food fantastically cooked with a great setting looking over Glasgow at night with the only grumble being no steak or champagne available and the Prosecco that was substituted with it being nearly double the price than the champagne I had ordered without being advised. Our room was forward facing but you would have never thought that in the morning with early morning rush hour outside with no noise coming through what so ever. All in all a great stay and great start to our honeymoon. Highly recommended

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nespa1
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Booked in for a one night stay, all very last minute.
Stayed in a club room on the 5th floor, which was very comfortable indeed.
There is a balcony with this room, but the sacrifice is the room is a little smaller than other exectutive rooms which I have had in the past- it all depends what you are looking for I suppose, but if you want an over sized room, just be aware.
Access to the exec lounge on the 7th floor- very comfortable, with the added bonus of a well stocked bar, which is free to use from 5pm onwards.
If you can get a deal on the exec rooms, this can make your stay very, very good value.
Good breakfast in the rooftop reastaurant- lovely and bright, with some good views to look at whilst planning your day.
I find this place hard to fault for the money- I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John L
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here recently for business with a panel of international scientists (the sort of people you need to impress) and the Carlton George cartainly stepped up to the challenge, the entrance is welcoming, clean and warm and check in was a breeze with the very helpful front of house staff.

Our rooms were clean, warm and came with a complimentary minibar and decanters of whisky, gin and vodka. I'd never seen this before, and our panel certainly welcomed the complementary toddy after checking in!

We had an early start the next morning and so we ate at the rooftop restaurant at night, having booked the executive bar and private dining room. Again the service was excellent. The one waiter we had did a great job, he was attentive and served food and drinks in excellent time with professionalism and courtesy.

Sadly I didn't eat breakfast the next morning as I was too full from the meal the night before,but the checkout was just as easy however.

The Carlton George overall, is an excellent boutique hotel. I would definitely recommend it and I'll certainly consider using it again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank eyley
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked a champagne afternoon tea as a treat for my mum as I was viisiting her and we had a fabulous time. The service was excellent, the staff were attentive but not clingy. The food was wonderful - the sandwiches were very fresh and tasty and they were stuffed with fillings. The cakes were very fresh and we're pretty sure they were homemade as were the scones which were still warm when they were served to us. The only downside was that it was served in the executive lounge rather than the rooftop restaurant but I think that was down to the time we visited.

I would highly recommend the champagne afternoon tea at the Carlton George as it was very reasonably priced and very worth the visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank M_in_the_city1981
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel previously and thought it was brilliant, so naturally expected it to be similar when we returned - I couldn't have been more wrong. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again!!! The Staff were rude and uninterested, the rooms were dirty and when we asked to me moved they told us there were no empty rooms and would send somebody up to clean. I don't expect to have to do this in a hotel that I am paying a lot of money for. When we returned to the room there was not much change. They had sprayed some air freshener, but not cleaned he bathroom or the fridge as we asked. I certainly wouldn't have consumed anything from that fridge. They had decanters with spirits in them, but if they didn't clean the bathroom then my reckoning was that they wouldn't have cleaner that either!!!! We had booked for a meal and the view from the restaurant was really good. Unfortunately, that is the only positive I could give this as the quality of the food was shocking. In the bar afterwards everybody was complaining about the pork. I was one of the few that complained to the staff and they cooked me some fish instead, but to be honest this was only slightly better.
There are so many nice hotels in Glasgow that have good locations, so I would advise checking out one of them. The Millenium Hotel just along the road from this one is a completely different class and quite often has good offers. With all the Daily Deals websites with good deals on hotels, I am quite happy never to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay on this occasion. I was surprised to read your comments, particularly those about the staff, as the majority of rewiewers, including yourself on your last visit, are full of praise for them. I note that you stayed in August- the menu has changed since then and the comments about the food have been good. We don't use daily deals sites, the best deal is always available by booking direct.

Duncan Johnston