“Great Stay at the Hilton”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #33 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Inverness Scotish Highlands
“Great Stay at the Hilton”
Reviewed September 11, 2006

After reading some of the reviews about this hotel, I was a bit apprehensive, so I contacted the hotel to express my concerns. I got a very nice e-mail back from the manager, stating that he had read some of the reviews and was also concerned, as they try to give a first class experience to all of their guests.

Well, I need not have worried. The whole experience was excellent. The staff were helpful and friendly, (including the doorman, who seems to have taken a few knocks from other reviewers!).

I would definately pay the supplement again for the Executive Floor Rooms, as they were nicer than the standard rooms, (which I have stayed in before - although there was nothing wrong with them). We thought of going out to dine on the second night, but we were looked after so well on our first night in Minskeys Resturant within the hotel that we decided to spend our second eve ning there. Wine prices on the high side but all in all, a great weekend. Will definately go back.

Stayed August 2006
6 Thank Highland2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Stayed once again at Hilton in late August - twice in one week! First time in ordinary room and second in executive one (Gold card member). I found I preferred the ordinary room nd wouldn't pay for upgrade. Hotel is excellent as always and great now Scotland has banned smoking. Everyone from doorman to reception etc were very helpful and obliging. It is, in my opinion, the best 5 star hotel in Glasgow. Please don't be put off by negative reviews here - give it a try - people are quick to moan but slow to praise!

Stayed August 2006
6 Thank catmum67
Glasgow
Reviewed September 2, 2006

I was delighted with every aspect of my recent stay at the Hilton Glasgow. Having read a couple of negative reviews of this hotel I was unsure I had made the right choice after I made the booking.

I could not have been more wrong. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the service in both restaurants was second to none.

I had a fantastic City view from my room, I had no idea that Glasgow had such beautiful architecture.

I paid £40 to upgrade to an Exceutive room which was well worth it as the executive lounge was a super facility to have access to.

I travel to Galsgow regularly on business and this will definately be my home from home.

• Liked — Spacious Rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank PaulNicol
Europe
Reviewed August 28, 2006

This hotel is excellent, clean, efficient staff and great breakfast. Would recommend to anybody going to Glasgow. We stayed on the 14th floor in two rooms and both of them were excellent.

• Liked — The cleannes and friendly staff
  • Disliked — location, little bit off for shopping, cost about 4 pound to take taxi home every day.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank sigurros2
London, UK
Reviewed July 17, 2006

I stayed for 3 nights in early July, on a cheap room-only deal.

As a 5* hotel, I expected a lot, but this hotel simply fails to deliver.

This is a reasonably modern (I'd guess 1980/s1990s) tower-block hotel with 20 storeys.
Location is ok, but could be better - a not-very-pleasant 10 minute walk from the city centre, or about £4-5 by cab. The hotel overlooks the M8, but doesn't suffer from noise due to the (unopenable) double glazed windows.

The rooms were of a reasonable size, but looking slightly dated. Grey wallpaper an interesting choice and I wouldn't have expected the bathroom tiles to have been cracked, but they were (Room 1213). The bed was comfortable. The air-con was allegedly adjustable but didn't seem to make any real difference (room slightly hot).

Communal areas of the hotel were clean and tidy, but a bit gaudy! Expect lots of brass/gold chandeliers and bizarre "themed" bar areas.

Check-in was ploite and friendly. I used the concierge servie once to find me the location of a restuarant (Arisaig), and they got it wrong! Sent me to Candleriggs (where apparently it used to be a few years ago, I later discovered) rather than to St Vincent Street.

I did not have breakfast or evening meal at the hotel. For £18 (plus another £3.50 to eat in your room) I felt that the breakfast was absolutely extortionate. Drinks in the hotel were, sadly, also at 5* prices. Almost £10 for a double gin and tonic or £2.95 for a mere can of coke from the minibar is - frankly - outrageous! Service at the bar (on the one occasion I used it) was slow and very unprofessional for a hotel of this (alleged) calibre.

And here is the crux of the matter with this hotel. It is OK, but just simply isn't 5 star. The quality of the rooms doesn't warrant it, and the quality of the service serioulsy doesn't warrant it. Little touches like the fact that only once when I arrived by cab did the doorman open the cab door. The other 5 times they appeared more interested in chatting amongst themselves. If I had paid full price I would have felt very short-changed.

If you can get this hotel for a 4* price and don;t mind a slightly less than central location, then I'd consider it. However, if you want a real tocuh of luxury, I'd recommend the Radisson SAS. If you want something 4* but more central then I'd recommend the Millennium Hotel.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank RMB72
London
Reviewed June 19, 2006

We arrived late on Friday night having caught the train up from London. Front of house all very friendly and efficient. Our Room (#1101) was one with a corner-window; large and nicely furnished. In-room dining ordered at approx 10:45 pm arrived very quickly. Breakfast in restaurant was excellent - good buffet and omelettes/pancakes made to order. However, I don’t think the plastic caddies are befitting of a 5 star hotel. Location-wise, it’s an easy walk in to town (via a walkway which we'd not found on the walk from the station). Dinner in Minskys (included in our package) was great - excellent seafood and hot buffet – with friendly and helpful staff. All in all, I'm sure there are hotels with more character, but for our purposes (low-stress weekend getaway) it fitted the bill.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank MIG2006
Kesgrave
Reviewed June 18, 2006

I spent a Saturday night with my wife in the Hilton and after reading the reviews was not sure what to expect.

I called a couple of days earlier and requested a check-in at 11:00 as we were flying in for a wedding and wanted to freshen up and get changed.

Driving in from Glasgow airport the hotel was easy to find and after following the directions printed from the website we negotiated the one way system to park in the hotels underground car park.

We arrived at the reception and as a Hilton Gold Card member I was offered an upgrade to an executive room, unfortunately there were no executive rooms available for early check-in and they said it would be another hour before one could be made available. As we were on a tight timescale I said we would prefer an executive room but that we could not wait.

In response we were offered a standard room for us to freshen up and when we returned from the wedding later in the evening we were checked in to an executive room on the top (20th) floor.

The executive and standard rooms are of similar size but the finishes in the executive room are of a higher standard as expected.

We pre-booked breakfast of part of our booking and although the food was of reasonable quality the setting was quite cramped and it appeared very busy for a Sunday morning.

We left our hire car in the underground car park when we checked out and the cost of the parking was not added to our room rate so I presume it is inclusive. Another good point was that although we checked out at 10:30 on the Sunday morning the car park exit ticket was valid until 18:00 so we left the car at the hotel and went for a walk around the shopping area of Glasgow before returning to pick-up the car in the afternoon and head for the airport.

I would agree with the reviews who said this is not a true 5 star, it is not, but if you can book for 4 star prices directly on the Hilton site it is fine with a good central location easy access to the M8 (runs past the front of the hotel but no noise) and a short walk to the main shopping areas.

I would also say the rooms were clean, well fitted and I could not fault the staff who went out of their way to be helpful.

• Stayed June 2006