“Very good convention hotel close to the city center.”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I slept at this property for 2 nights while attending a conference. The front staff was really helpful and I did not have any problem checking in, even though I was a very late arrival at around 2 am. The hotel convention facilities are great, and so was the breakfast buffet. My room was spacious, clean and seemed to have been recently updated. All in all, a very convenient accommodation close to the city center.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Daniel025,

Thank you for taking the time to review your 2 night stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your breakfast and room.

We have recently refurbished our meeting and conference space, it's great to read your positive feedback.

I do hope you will have an opportunity in the future to come and stay with us again.

Lisa

Write a ReviewReviews (3,449)

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Having always stayed in other hotel chains' properties on other visits to Glasgow, my wife and I decided to make the most of our newly allocated Hilton Honors Diamond member status by staying in the Glasgow Hilton at the end of May. So would we recommend this hotel or stay in this hotel again - well, it must be said the jury is still out ...

Positives :

1) Location - I would describe this hotel as being in the western most point of the city centre, but once you knew your way the whole of the central city area was pretty much walkable. Better than this though, it was very convenient for the SSCC Hydro, which we went to see The Eagles at on the Saturday night, and was a pleasant 20 minute stroll from the hotel. One thing I would say is that it is quite difficult to suss out exactly how to get into the hotel the first time you get there, so I would recommend getting a taxi from the airport if it is your first visit. There was an excellent Wetherspoons (Edward G Wylie) just around the corner from the hotel.

2) Rooms - even though we weren't upgraded (due to the hotel being fully booked because of two weddings being held there on the Saturday), our King Deluxe room had obviously been refurbished, and was very clean and spacious. Okay, the view from the window was of the M8 motorway, but we were sufficiently high up for noise not to be a problem. A good standard of room befitting their 5 star status

3) Breakfast - as a general rule Hilton does the buffet breakfast very well, and this was no exception - loved the haggis as part of the "Full Scottish" !!

Negatives :

1) Customer Service - although we can't say the staff were rude or deliberately unhelpful, we did not feel that the level of customer service was anyway near what we have come to expect from the Hilton brand. A good example of this was the broken safe in our room; we discovered the in-room safe was jammed shut when we first got to the room on the Friday night, and could not be reset, so when we went out on the Friday night we asked reception to get it sorted. Nothing done by the time we came back, so we reported it again on the Saturday morning before going out ... and then on the Saturday evening when we got back prior to going out again ... and yes, when we checked out on the Sunday, the aforementioned safe was still firmly jammed shut, with no word from the hotel whether it had been looked at or not. This kind of typified the general lack of attention to detail with the customer service that a hotel serious about its 5 star billing should not allow to happen....

2) Executive Lounge - had seen other Hilton Honors members kicking off about the downgrade of this facility, and I must now add our voices of dissatisfaction to this, as it did prove to be something of a "final straw" after the in-room safe debacle. Now, I must qualify my criticism of this facility by saying that over the years the Executive Lounges in Hiltons around Europe have proved to be one of the major differentiating factors for us chosing the Hilton brand over Mecure, IHG or Marriott hotels, and we find it a really good perk that does sway our choice of who to give our loyalty to. Thus when we visited the Lounge on the Saturday evening for a quick pre-gig drink, we were somewhat unimpressed with what we found - the canapé and food options were quite pitiful compared to other Lounges we have been to, the place was dark and uninviting on the ground floor (apparently it was much better when it was on a higher floor in the hotel) and worst of all, there was only beer and wine for the alcoholic options - and the cheapest possible beer and wine at that. I only drink spirits, so seeing the bottles of tonic and bitter lemon in the fridge I thought it only logical that if I asked nicely (as a Diamond member) the staff would be able to serve me a gin or vodka instead... I was to sorely disappointed as I was abruptly and forcefully told by one of the staff that if I wanted spirits I would have to go the main hotel bar and buy it myself. Nice to see how much Hilton valued my loyalty !!! The whole place and fare on offer just smacked of penny pinching and pure disregard for their loyal clientele, so we left to get a drink at the Wetherspoons around the corner instead ... and from some of the conversations we overheard whilst there, I don't think we were the only HHonors members really annoyed and let down by this ...
You can probably tell from this rant that I was extremely annoyed by this whole affair, but when I asked to speak to the Guest Relations Manager, I was told she had gone home for the night; I ended up expressing my dissatisfaction to the HHonors customer service team, and in fairness the Hotel Manager Daniel van Wyck did write back to me, but blamed the issues on a new set of "Hilton Brand Standard" guidelines coming out which "will ensure consistency throughout our cluster" (whatever that means ...). He repeated the assertion that "spirits are no longer served in the Executive Lounge but can be purchased in our Connich Bar", which misses the point somewhat - in all other Hiltons we enjoy a drink in the Executive Lounge and then go down to the hotel bar to enjoy some more drinks; frankly with this cost cutting attitude we were certainly not going to give the Hilton another penny of our weekend spend, with the local pub being the main beneficiary of this !! I have a horrible feeling this short-sighted and very negative move to downgrade the Executive Lounge may well be rolled out to other properties in the UK, so I'm trying to find someone in the Hilton UK team who I can talk to and challenge this, but so far to no avail ... I can only re-assert our warning to the Hilton brand that whilst such a move may look good as a cost saving move, it will demotivate and alienate a large portion of your loyal customers, whom I'm sure will be well looked after by your rivals in the years to come ...

The sad thing is the Hilton Glasgow does have a lot going for it, but it needs to recognise its customer service issues - frankly I kind of wished we had opted for the Hilton Garden Inn by the SSCC instead, but perhaps we'll look at that next time.

So in short - don't bother spending the money on upgrading to an Executive Room as the King Deluxe room is good enough, and use the money saved to have your own personal "Executive Lounge" drinkies in the Edward G Wylie instead !!!

Room Tip: Get a high floor King Deluxe
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TOURISTTED
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review of your recent stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our loyal Hilton HHonors members.

While I am happy to hear your feedback on our location, rooms and breakfast, I see there were some areas mentioned in your review that prevented you from having an overall positive experience with us.

I have noted your comments regarding the Executive Lounge offerings and have shared your feedback with the relevant department managers.

As you mentioned our Hotel Manager Daniel van.wyk has since been in touch with you regarding our Executive Lounge offerings and I can confirm that we are continually reviewing the services and products we offer our guests.

Thank you again for sharing.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Went to the Hilton for the Rangers player of the year awards for a meal. The hotel reception was lovely and spacious, nicely decorated. The function room was very nicely decorated and the tables were beautifully set. The staff were very helpful and catered for our every need. Drinks were pricey but that was to be expected. All dirty dishes were quickly cleared as well as any unused cutlery.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear AlisonCD,

Thank you for taking the time to review your dinner at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to read your feedback and I am pleased you enjoyed your function.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed at the hotel when we were attending a ball on Saturday 14 June. The room we were allocated had loads of space with superb views overlooking Glasgow. The room was bright and airy and the standard of cleanliness superb. Only criticism would be that the air conditioning was a bit noisy and no vanity packs in the bathroom (cotton wool, cotton buds). Toiletries were a bit on the small side for two people to shower in the evening and again in the morning.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Eleanor O ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

It's great to read your kind comments regarding our services and facilities and I am delighted to hear you would stay with us again.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed here for a charity night ball. Excellent accomodation, very friendly staff. Used valet parking which was excellent. Lovely clean rooms very well appointed. Executive lounge with complimentary afternoon tea and canapes and drinks. Would definately stay here again

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear JORGE848,

I am delighted to read we are a "Great choice in Glasgow" and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed in an accesible room because of the walk in shower and grab bar by the toilet. The shower had a cracked drain which was a safety hazard and the water flooded the bathroom each time and then after the water was turned off emitted a loud noise for about 10 minutes. The decor of the room was very tired and not up to the usual caliber of a Hilton Hotels. The toilets in the other rooms were extremely low to the floor creating difficulty for someone in their 60s with decreased flexibility. The location is not good for sightseeing and is rather out of the way. Also bottled water which was available for free in our other hotels would have incurred a charge, and there was no coffee in the lobby for early risers as is normally the case with hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear music749,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am so very sorry to read that your impression of our hotel was not a positive one, in particular your room.

I have sinced shared your review with our Facilities Manager who has assured me that the areas requiring attention mentioned within your review have now been remedied.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend break in this lovely Hotel. It is located about 7 minutes walk from Argyle Street and the main shopping area of Glasgow, yet far enough away not to be noisy. THe buffet breakfast is really 5*****, and the decor in the rooms is very modern and clean. The staff are very friendly, helpful and welcoming. The recently refurbished Connaich Bar/Lounge area is very intimate and just perfect for relaxing in. One word of caution, the drinks are very expensive. However I would strongly recommend this Hotel to anyone who appreciates the finer qualities of a first class Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift lobby on each floor, as it can be noisy as peoople gather waiting...
1  Thank swanbelfast

Dear swanbelfast,

We appreciate your kind feedback and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.