“Pleasant 4* Stay; Great Value 3* Rate”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #33 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant 4* Stay; Great Value 3* Rate”
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Really enjoyed my single night stay at this modern, welcoming Hilton about 10 mins walk from Glasgow’s Central Station. This hotel is the perfect choice for business travellers visiting Glasgow. My super clean room was very comfortable and featured a nice view (16th floor). I booked and paid in advance from my room from Hilton’s UK website and my rate, including breakfast, worked out to be less than £10 more than booking a room plus breakfast at the Premier Inn on Argyle Street. (I am a big Premier Inn - however Hilton offers a better product at a comparable price).

I cannot fault the service – which was attentive at check in and breakfast which was very tasty and included local favourites like Haggis (try it and just don’t ask what’s in it). If you’re looking for a modern, central hotel in Glasgow I recommend this Hilton without reservation.

• Liked — Tasty breakfast; sparklilng bathroom
  • Disliked — Pedestrian access to hotel unclear; would benefit from better signage
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Turkish first
canada
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Our family of three were in Glasgow in July this summer. We stayed at Hilton Glasgow for 3 nights as we got a good price via Hotel.com.

First, let me tell you about the parking. Because the space at the entrance/exit was extremely narrow, it was nerve-racking for us when every time we were in and out the garage, . We could tell there must have had some accident before as the wall had a big dent. In addition, one night we could not park at the hotel as the garage was full.

The room of the hotel was clean and a nice size. Though there was enough space, our room only had one armchair, so my husband and I had to take turn to sit at the table.

One more thing that bothered me was the mini fridge. I could not use it for keeping my baby's milk, as there was no space left in the fridge. If I removed the drinks inside the fridge, I would be automatically charged because there was some kind of sensor set up.

So my over all experience of the hotel was disappointing.

• Liked — The house keeping staff did good jobs on tidy up and cleaning our room.
  • Disliked — location, parking, minifridge
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
London
Reviewed August 20, 2008

To paraphrase a previous review, these comments on various hotels are indeed a matter of perspective and what you are used to. I too am a Diamond Hilton Honours member and would count my experience at the Glasgow Hilton as the worst Hilton I have been to.

Again - perspective... I stayed in this hotel for 5 + days a week for a number of months, hence my comments are possibly a little more balanced than people who stayed in the hotel for a night or two. I have stayed in more rooms than most people and can guarantee you that every room is different and in some cases, drastically different.

My first week at the Hilton, I spent in a room that had holes in the wall. My complaints were met with a response that a previous guest had made those holes and there was nothing they could do.

Another week, I had a leaking toilet - I was happy that it was leaking from the cistern rather than from the bottom of the pan but needless to say it stayed that way all week.

One week I turned up on a Sunday night. The room I was given was extremely dusty. Infact it was so bad that I wrote the word "dust" on the room service memu with my finger and went to work on the Monday morning. I watched that menu for the rest of the week and it was not cleaned.

Airconditioning within the rooms varies substancially. Some rooms can be like a fridge. Others can be extremely hot. In some rooms, the aircon does not work at all. Generally that wouldnt bother me but unfortunately you cant open the windows.

There are a few good rooms - these are on floors that have been recently renovated. As i know the hotel is currently refurbishing, I wont tell you what floors those are because it will change.

I found most of the staff (with the exception of the doorman and staff in Camerons) to be very unfriendly.

I would agree with many of the negative comments on this website - if you have stayed in one of the bad rooms, you will understand. I have also spent a fair amount of time in Executive Rooms which are miles better and when (i finally found them), the "better" standard rooms. I think the widely varying comments about this hotel could be accounted for because of this.

As for myself, I spent enough time in there to work out which rooms to ask for and which rooms not to stay in. I would think it should never come down to that in a 5 star hotel! It's all a bit of pot luck!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank NOTtheHilton
Geneva
Reviewed August 13, 2008

These reviews are often lacking perspective, I feel. People have different standards and habits.

To give you a frame of reference, I'm a Diamon Hilton member, and have been for years, which means I've spent hundreds fo nights in Hilton hotels.

I'm used to a high level of service and quality, and generally I am very pleased with HIlton for these. This, however, was the worst HIlton experience I've had.

This was a rewards stay, but I hope that the bad treatment was not because of that! I would assume that one should not be treated differently just because you are on a reward stay.

When I made the booking I insisted on the fact that I was travelling with my three children. The booking person called the hotel to confirm that they could accommodate 3 children in one room by putting a roll-away bed in. I was also informed that as a Diamond member I would have access to the Executive Lounge.

On arriving at the hotel at 4pm I was told the rooms were not ready, even though check-in time is supposed to be 3pm. We were asked to wait in the lobby. After a long day of travelling, nobody even thought to offer us a glass of water for the inconvenience.

Eventually at 4:30 we were told that 1 room was ready, however we would not have Executive Lounge access. We were told further that someone would come up within 30 minutes with the key for the second room.

On arriving in the room that was ready, I was surprised to see that there was no welcome package of any sort, such as complimentary water.

After 1 ½ hours of waiting and phoning down to reception, the second room was still not available, so we decided to go out for dinner. I complained once again at reception about the rooms and the lack of a welcome pack, and was assured that a pack would be sent up.

On our return the reception gave us the key to the second room. When we got up there we found that it only contained two beds, and the promised roll-away bed was not there. There was still no sign of any sort of welcome package. Being too tired to do anything and fearing that if we did try to get the extra bed at that moment we might end up being up all night, we decided to make two of our children share one bed for the night.

The first thing the next morning I went back down to complain and spoke to the duty manager who said that things would be rectified, and we went out for the day. When we returned we found that not only was there still no roll-away bed, but the room hadn’t even been made up. The wet towels were still sitting in the bath tub, the beds unmade. At this point I made alternative arrangements for my children to sleep elsewhere, having completely lost confidence that the management of this hotel were able to do the slightest thing.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank rollegva
Dublin
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I booked the Hilton as a treat for my friend and I while I came to visit her in Glasgow, just for one night. When you hear Hilton, you usually think it will be a good standard of accommodation, a high level of comfort, and customer service. All I can say is that it was far from a treat!
We got to our room, and there were stains on the headboards of both beds, the sheets, the curtains, the lamp, and even the walls! I never usually ring reception and complain, but I was so freaked out by the stains on the head board, that I did not feel comfortable sleeping in the bed. So I rang reception, explained that what was wrong, and they said they would send someone up. A few minutes later “house-keeping” arrived. The woman did not even introduce herself, she did not make any form of apology, she just marched into the room and asked what was up. So I showed her all of the stains, and she asked us to leave the room so that she could clean it, no new room for us! I was taken aback a bit. Obviously all of our stuff was in the room, and we had no where else to go, so I asked her where we meant to go in the mean time? She said that she didn’t know, maybe downstairs for a cup of tea! We decided that we would go for a swim to pass the time, so we asked her to leave the room for a few minutes so that we could get ready.
I was so annoyed at our treatment, we were made feel as if we were the ones who created all of the stains! Needless to say my comments to my friend were not exactly complimentary when the woman left the room. When we opened the door to go to the pool we realised that she was standing directly outside, so I’m sure she heard everything I had said.
When we got back from the pool the sheets had been changed, the stain on the wall was gone, the lamp had just been twisted so that the stain was to the back, and the headboards (which were wooden, and could have been wiped clean) were still stained, as were the curtains, and a picture on the wall.
If you are looking for 5 star luxury then this is not the hotel for you. The rooms are in need of redecoration, the pool area was not the most sanitary, and it is just generally quite grubby. We ordered room service which was good. The bathroom in the room was nice, and seemed to have been done up recently. Apart from the rude “house-keeping” lady, the rest of the staff were quite friendly. The walls are very thin, we even heard the person next door getting up to his 6am alarm amongst other things!
Not recommended for your stay in Glasgow!

• Liked — Location is ok, steam room is nice, pizza on the room service menu was good.
  • Disliked — The stains on the headboard/sheets/wall/lamp/curtains! Made my skin crawl.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank littlemissymay
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Me and my wife stayed at Hilton for a weekend in mid-July on our trip round Scotland and Ireland. Hilton was chosen because we got a very good price on the room, only 20 pounds more than we had to pay for a B&B the night before.

When we arrived, we found a clean and nice room, and from the 15th floor we got a quite nice view over the city as well. The stay went very fine, but the best treat was when we asked for help booking a trip from Glasgow to Belfast. The chief concierge made a small mistake when he assisted us, but made up for it - and then some - by fixing us a free car from the hotel Sunday morning and all the way to the ferry. Obviously we'd expected that he would make amends for the mistake, but we truly didn't expect what we got!

In addition: Really loved the breakfast and the service there as well. We surely will return to this hotel when we visit Glasgow again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stikkan
Newcastle, England
Reviewed July 7, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at the Hilton Glasgow. We chose this hotel due to its relative close proximity to the SECC (approx 20 minute walk away). We found the location very convenient, it's about half way between Glasgow Cental Station and the SECC, and much cheaper than the hotels around the SECC! We got two nights bed and breakfast with dinner on the first night for £195.
The hotel its self is very modern, and it contains all the facilities you would expect of a Hilton Hotel. The ground floor has a leasure centre which includes a small but perfectly formed swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi and gym. There are two restaurants which are quirkily decorated and serve pretty good food. The breakfasts deserve a special mention as they were just wonderful, so much choice and they really set you up for the day!
The room was like the rest of the hotel, very modern and very well equiped with a large TV, fully stocked mini bar, air conditioning (not that you need it in Scotland!) and a large and comfy bed. The bathroom was also very nice although the shower was the most complicated one I have ever encountered! My wife was also very impressed with the hairdryer, very powerful apparently! The only let down was that the plug in the sink did not stay down unless wedged with a damp flannel! Trivial it may be, but it was annoying!
We'd definately stay at this hotel again as it did everything well with no fuss, a quality hotel that does not break the bank!

• Liked — Modern and well appointed rooms
  • Disliked — Dodgy plug!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple