“Good hotel”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Stayed here for one night when I first arrived in glasgow from london.
we arrived at 1.30am staff very friendly and as I had pre warned them of my arrival time they used my name straight away. the room we had was on the 10th floor hated the lift with the view thou as I am scared of hightes. The room was really nice 2 double beds lots of space to move around and very clean except for the net curtains. we did have a problem with the shower the next morning as they have the glass shower screens if you don't have the shower head angled right you tend to spray water around the bathroom. Over all really impressed and would stay here again

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2010

Thanks for your review - i'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have been able to locate the room you stayed in and as such have now asked maintenance to check out the shower screen.

I hope you will come back and visit again soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2010

Well actually I do - I get free nights because I use other hotels in the chain a lot!

But every time I have stayed in this hotel I have been woken by a fire alarm going off, in fact talking to friends and family it seems to be a bit of a standing joke about this hotel, what is embarassing is that Mr Dubaiweegie claims to have built this hotel....

Our room was small and dingy although clean enough, but generally could do with a refurb. The view of the building site next door is particularly romantic!

Dinner was nothing special, but adequate. Problem with this hotel is that there really isnt anywhere else to eat nearby, unless you want to take a taxi.

So after all this and another fire alarm wake up call, we decided not to stay another night and find another hotel.........

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2010

Thanks for posting a review which states that you stayed with us in August.

I assume you are a member of Priority Club and that you were redeeming your points with us. I am sorry that we consistently don't live up to your expectations as you found the room too small and that you felt the food was not up to much. I am concerned that you appeared to be woken up ( again) by a fire alarm as we do not have any record of any activations in August apart from the routine tests which are normally held mid afternoon.

I am sorry that your view also included the New National Arena that is currently being built. Unfortunately, i cannot do a lot about that.

Please do let me know when you plan to stay next and we will do everything possible to ensure you enjoy your stay.

Thanks again,

Reviewed September 1, 2010

We booked a Club room for that added bit of luxury which turned out not to exist! Room not ready even though it was early afternoon. We tried again to check in early evening (admittedly a busy time), but the two staff were struggling to cope with a queue of more than 12 people who were swamping the reception area and it took 20 minutes to get checked in.

The room was very small and hot. Turning thermostat down as far as possible didn't help. Spoke to staff in Club lounge who said it was a problem for the whole Club floor - I understand the hotel had been having a problem with the temperature. What was galling was that the hotel had not alerted us to the situation when we checked in, or told us what to do about it. The staff in the Club Lounge had portable fans for their use but the guests were left to fend for themselves. After several hours we asked for a fan, which was promptly provided but we still had a very hot and uncomfortable night.

We were also surprised that, though it was supposed to be a double room and there were two occupying it, there were only amenities (e.g. robes, slippers, 'giveaways'), for one. When we queried this, we were told we only had to ask for a second set (why should we have to?) and items are restricted 'because guests steal them!'.

Not what I expect from a 4 star hotel!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2010

Thanks for your review.

I am sorry that your room was not ready when you arrived early afternoon. unfortunately sometimes we cannot have the correct room types ready by 2pm due to guests choosing to check out later than expected. I am sorry that the situation being compounded by the desk being busy when you returned later to check in.

I am pleased to say that we have now reviewed our policy regarding bathrobes and two are put in double occupancy rooms.

I do hope you will come back and stay with us - let us know if you decide to.

Reviewed August 31, 2010

in side the hotel need a lot off tlc i did not like the look of it and i did not like the food the best bit of the hotel is the garden and the garden could do with a bit of colour a lot of slaps need repaired spend more money on it not hunders but thousend would do the garden and the hotel a lot of good thanks yasmine

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank yasminfromspain
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza for my Hubby 2B's birthday - had a fantastic time! The Hotel was fantastic, the room was on the 14th floor and the views were excellent. The room itself was very spacious - king size bed, all the mod cons - air conditioning, plasma tv, mini bar, etc.. very modern decor in the room and throughout the hotel. The only negative is the location - it is right next to the SECC and you do need to take a taxi into the centre of Glasgow but we knew this already so it didn't bother us. You can walk across the bridge to a retail park where there are plenty of restaurants, bars, and a casino - we did this on the first night, ate in Frankie & Benny's then hit the Casino, taxi back to hotel was only £6. The following day we headed into the City Centre for shopping again taxi fare around £6/£7.

Would definitely stay at this hotel again, the service at reception was very good, we received free morning papers delivered to our room and a voucher for a free drink at the Hotel bar on our 1st night, we booked direct on their website and got a better deal than what was available on laterooms.com. We never ate in the Hotel, my other half is a real fussy eater so we headed into town for our food, however the menu did look lovely with loads of choice.

If you are looking for a modern, relaxing and comfortable hotel to come back to after a day of shopping or sightseeing this Hotel is ideal, the spa and pool are well worth a visit too!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I am quite fussy about hotels (having worked in the trade for 30 years) and I often upon looking at the room usually ask to be moved (as sometimes it smells, too cramped etc) and if the hotel is not obliging we leave the hotel and look for an other - this drives my family mad! Anyway, we arrived having booked a room with two double beds at a great price including breakfast and dinner. We were upgraded, as there were no two double bed rooms available, to a lovely room with a massive kingsize bed with a lounge on the 16th floor (1601) with a sofa bed in the lounge area. As my son is asthmatic we gave the massive bed to him and his brother (the lucky ones!). My husband and I slept on the sofabed - what agony with what seemed really bad bed springs digging in your body all night but at least it was not as hot as the bedroom - there the very noisey air con did not appear to work and the boys sweated buckets through the night. Not a great nights sleep for anyone. Pillows are really hard as well. However, next morning we asked reception if someone could look at the air con. By the end of the day on arriving back from our day out, no one had been and we asked reception again and they had no reference of any request etc. Finally someone came along and said it was working at its best and suggested a fan. From lack of sleep the night before and with a fan we all slept a bit better but Crown Plaza you need to sort out -
* The air con
* The sofa-beds
* The pillows - no amount of lavender perfume is going to make those hard pillows appear comfy
* Logging of complaints at reception
* Water too hot in the ladies showers in the leisure centre

Those negatives did NOT however put me off booking for a weekend a week later for our trip back from the highlands - as there is so much this hotel does so well - all the staff are really lovely - Gregor and Craig in the restaurant really looked after us and Laura on reception always offered us a warm welcome. The free drink in the lounge for priority customers is a nice touch. The decor of the room was lovely, with luxury towelling dressing gowns and cholcolates, and the leisure facilities are such a bonus. Food in the restaurant was really good quality and offered a great choice. I would suggest that for breakfast the sausages are changed as they are a bit fatty and the bacon is cooked a bit more - looked barely cooked and really fatty.

I tried to get the same price deal for the following weekend but the receptionist had to go back and forth with my request to her manager hiding at the back of reception and ended up converying the incorrect details to the manager- not the receptionists fault - why didn't the manager just come out herself and deal with the query?!

For our return weekend we asked the receptionist to log the fact that we would like a polyester quilt for the bed (not a feather quilt) for my asthmatic son. On arrival we had to remind reception again and then it seemed quite a palaver - I thought that a hotel of this calabre would have been aware of allergy issues like asthma etc.

Overall both weekends were great - so please do not be put off by my few negative comments - if you are prepared for these issues, I am sure get them sorted quite quickly.

I would definitely go back as the location of the hotel is also great - away from all the hustle and bustle of glasgow and just an hour away by train to edinburgh and the views were fantastic from the room - the staff are especially helpful and the food is great and the swimming pool was a huge hit with the two teenagers.

On the whole - I would recommend this hotel and have done so to my family who are planning on staying.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2010

At least a 20 min walk to the city so not for those who want to stay right in the centre. It's a lovely walk along the river though. Staff were very friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple