“stuffy rooms !!!”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Had a great night at a charity event in this hotel- food and service were great . Used the gym and pool which were average.
The rooms however are awful !! Too hot and stuffy as the design of the hotel means the windows cant open. Really not good at all. I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone who likes fresh air !!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2010

Thanks for posting a review and sorry about the heat in the room. We are currently upgrading our air conditioning units in all the rooms so hopefully that will address it.

I am however very pleased that you enjoyed the Charity Event.

Dominic McVey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,423)

Reviewed July 25, 2010

Hotel and rooms up to the usual Crowne Plaza standard, main problem was with the location - the hotel is a bit away from the city centre, but a quick train journey gets you into the centre. There are few eateries etc locally to the hotel, which makes the hotel have a bit of a capitive market. The price of food is not completely unreasonable for a four star hotel and is of a relatively good standard. Drinks were quite expensive - so beware before ordering a second pint on expenses!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2010

Thanks for your review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay but note that our location did not suit you. As you quite correctly state, the train from the SECC is only a short trip in the centre ( 5 mins) or alternatively we do have a taxi rank at the front door.

We regularly review our Catering operation in terms of standard and pricing to ensure that we provide what our guests want and also to ensure that we offer Value for Money.

i do hope you will come back and visit again soon.

Dominic McVey

Reviewed July 24, 2010

I stayed at this hotel towards the end of July 2010 on two consecutive nights -checked out and then, due to a change of plan, checked back in again later on the same day!

Location: This hotel is very handy for the BBC and also for The Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC). It is less handy for Glasgow 'city centre' if you are on foot, but it is perfectly accessible. It is also easy to access from the motorway network, as is Glasgow City Centre itself.

Service: From check in to check out, I would rate the overall level of service as good. ALL of the staff members that I encountered were courteous and professional, and many exuded the warmth of Scottish hospitality -I'm from the Midlands myself and it's just so nice to see a person smile at you! Check in on both occasions was swift and friendly: exactly what I expect from an InterContinental Group hotel. Service at breakfast was at times a bit slow, but overall it was satisfactory. The service at dinner was actually quite good in the restaurant (second night) and exceptional in the bar -the staff there kept coming back to check if I wanted a top up/anything else, and I think the bar staff did the hotel proud.

Rooms: I booked my first night about 5 days in advance, and paid £85 for the breakfast flexible rate as I wasn't sure if my planss would change. As a Platinum Royal Ambassador member of InterContinental Group's loyalty programme, Priority Club Rewards, I was upgraded on my first night to a Club level room. These rooms are, as I later found out, recently upgraded. They have a flat screen TV, new carpets etc and also upgraded bathroom amenities (such as Crabtree & Evelyn bath products -a nice touch; a floral arrangement in the bathroom and slippers/bathrobes. This room was very nice and had a good view over the surrounding area -not much to see really, but still a good view!

I booked my second night about two hours before I checked in, again paying 8£85 with breakfast. This time, I was not given an upgrade, and no acknowledgement of my Platinum status was forthcoming. I know the hotel had Club rooms available as they were still open for sale at the time of booking and subsequently after check in (I looked on their website!) Whilst I know that upgrades are "subject to availability", an upgraded room was available so I was a little bit disappointed that the hotel didn't care enough to upgrade me. I appreciate that upgrades are often processed in advance by room controllers or reservations, but there is no reason why the Front Desk staff should not click to the fact. I could've asked, but it just sounds like I'm a "Do you know who I am?" type, which I'm not...

The room this time had twin beds (I had not booked a twin, I hasten to add), and were much older. The Air Conditioning was NOISY and ineffective, despite the outside temperature not being hot -I can only imagine what the rooms must have been like in our recent 'heat wave' -well for the UK anyway! The rooms had older CRT TVs and lacked the extra amenities in the bathroom described above. As far as I can tell, these rooms were the same size as the club rooms, and the bed was very comfortable. No issues for an overnight business stay. The only thing I think management should be aware of is that the room felt a little stale/dirty. I couldn't quite put my finger on it as I wasn't in there long enough, but the bed sheets were a tad creased -I know they were fresh as the smelt fresh, but it is possible that someone had been checked into this room earlier and then been moved -the bin had a Dairy Milk wrapper in, and it smelt of smoke even though the hotel is non smoking as far as I know. I think it is best practice for Housekeeping or a front desk person to check rooms if they have been allocated and subsequently returned to Vacant/Clean status for re allocation. Maybe it was just a rushed housekeeping job. The shower also looked like it needed re-grouting -the bathroom in the Club room felt a lot fresher.

The hotel takes part in the 'Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage' programme: this basically includes new bedding and 'sleep amenities' such as some sort of pillow spray...It sounds ridiculous, but I slept very well, and I think that this was to do with the comfy bed and the nice smelling pillow :) (!)

Food: I ate dinner in the bar the first night -very nice menu. I ate dinner in the restaurant the second night (steak) and this was actually a good effort -tender and cooked to my order. Spot on.

On the first morning, I ate breakfast at about 06:00 as I had a long day of meetings, and everything was freshly cooked -excellent. The second day, I had a bit of a 'lie in' and ate at about 09:00 when it was much busier -the food still was hot and fairly fresh, so no complaints as far as buffets go.

Conclusions:

This hotel is a fine hotel for a Crowne Plaza. The rooms are ok -go for club -you also get lounge access although I didn't try it as I arrived at 22:00 and left straight after my 6AM breakfast.

Overall, this is a good quality hotel with decent food and pleasent staff. I think if you want Glasgow City Centre, there are probably better hotels in terms of location and price, but for the exhibition centre, it is a good choice. As I am loyal to the InterContinental Hotels Group, I would certainly stay there again. For those with Priority Club Rewards Platinum Status, like so many properties, you get inconsistent recognition. This is something that annoys me as it is very easy to be done correctly.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Thanking for posting such a comprehensive review. I was very pleased to read your comments regarding the staff that you encountered during your stay. It is always appreciated when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge good taff.

I am also grateful for your comments regarding the food and in particularly breakfast as we are currently reviewing all our food and beverage operations.

Sorry about the Priority Club recognition, we'll take that one on board and ensure all are aware of the standard so as a consistent approach is followed.

Thanks again, Dominic McVey

Reviewed July 24, 2010

quite expensive, we were on the 16th floor, beatiful views , room modern and clean, robe slippers and chocolates .
Had to be moved in middle of the night due to strange mechanical noise in room, so had a very sleepless night.
Good base for visiting SECC , and Glasgow.

Had a bar meal, was average.

Staff very helpful , parking in hotel at a small charge.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review and I am sorry that you left with an unfavourable impression of the Hotel.

I was concerned about your comments with a noise coming from the Roof and have asked our Maintenance Manager to investigate fully. I am appreciative about your comments as we are currently reviewing all our menus in terms of content and style , so all feedback gratefully received. Thanks again, Dominic McVey

Reviewed July 20, 2010

I had an excellent stay recently at CP Glasgow. On arrival the reception staff and concierge were welcoming. I stayed in a standard room. The bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean, as is the whole hotel. I had dinner with a colleague. We ate off the a la carte menu. I recommend the Aberdeen Angus fillet steak – delicious!! Overall the hotel has a fantastic atmosphere due to the friendly and committed staff. I like the way the GM mingles with the guests and is approachable.

CP overlooks the Clyde and is just a few minutes taxi ride from the centre. We took the tour bus (bus stop close by the hotel) We enjoyed a guided tour taking in Glasgow’s fine architecture and places of interest, museums, winter garden and the city centre. You can hop on and off the buses they run every 10 minutes. Just ask concierge they are most helpful. I have stayed in the centre before but prefer Crowne Plaza and its location. I would definitely return!

1  Thank kaye2010
Reviewed July 19, 2010

From the minute we arrived at The Crowne Plaza Glasgow we were treated like royalty.
The reception staff were all very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. When I mentioned I would like to go on a sight seeing tour the concierge was only too pleased to arrange it all for me. The bus picked us up from outside the hotel and the driver was expecting us.
The hotel itself it very well maintained and the staff are a pleasure to speak to/deal with.
We ate in the restaurant on several occasions and found the food and service to be outstanding. The steak I had on the first evening was one of the best I have ever had...
The bedrooms were very well maintained and were welcoming from the offset, I found the aromatherapy sleep kit a nice touch, and was suprised at how quiet it was in the room overnight.

I spend a great evening in the bar with friends and was impressed to see the hotels General Manager socialising with guests.

Overall I found the hotel to be a brilliant place to stay and am already planning my next trip there.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I booked this hotel as a surprise birthday break for my partner and I. The good news - the hotel was very close to the SECC - so handy for Leona Lewis concert (amazing!). The very bad news - the Crowne Plaza hotel. The room rate was very expensive compared to other city hotels of the same star rating. On arrival, we were asked to confirm at reception that we were sure we really wanted a double room, not a twin, as we were two adults checking into the same room. When I confirmed a double was what was booked, the receptionist again challenged this as though I didn't understand her - presumably as we were two men checking into a double room! She said this line of questioning was standard company policy - but would she have asked the same of a heterosexual couple? This made us decidedly uncomfortable and a little annoyed. In all our many years of travelling at home and abroad, we have never been challenged in this way before. When we asked the receptionist for some basic sightseeing local information, the receptionist was distinctly lacking in knowledge, as was the concierge. We later found a tourist information screen sited just a few feet away from the main reception, but the staff failed to direct us to this. We were given a first floor room with a terrific view of a corrigated iron rooftop. Rooms on higher floors with great views were apparently reserved for 'early booking' guests. This didn't hold water as I had booked the room months ahead for this special occasion and had especially requested a room on an upper floor. The receptionist dismissed us when we queried this point. The room itself had a large comfortable bed, and was reasonably well furnished. However, the TV was out of the ark - an old cathode ray job with intermittent sound - no flat screens in this 4 star hotel, at least not for us (perhaps they had some on the upper floors!). The furnishings were chipped and damaged and the carpeting tired. The same tired look was consistent throughout the public bar and restaurant areas. Be prepared for excessively high restaurant prices. For example, a fillet steak main costed £25 without any side dishes or sauces for which an additional £2.50 was added for each. The ambience could be compared to a local Pizza Hut. To their credit, the dining room staff were very warm and friendly and recommended the evening carvery which was of an average standard and decently priced (our waitress advised us to nip back for seconds if we liked!). The inclusive buffet breakfast was of a good standard too. I am a proud Scot, now living in England, but I am sorry to say that I am ashamed of these fellow Scottish hotel reception staff who presented such a poor image of Scotland which prides itself on giving visitors a very warm welcome. We would never return to this hotel, and frankly, we would have had a more comfortable stay in a travelodge at one third of the cost, no doubt with a very positive warm welcome. We rarely find much fault with hotel services either at home or abroad, so we were very disappointed that this expensive venue failed to live up to expectations. Avoid this one at all costs!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fiftyjusttraveller
DJMcVEY, Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2010

I'm so sorry that your stay with us was not a pleasant experience and that we made the fundamental mistake of making you feel unwelcome from the outset. I can assure you however, this was not our intention whatsoever. It is our brand standard to reconfirm all reservation details on arrival - I'm so sorry it did not come across this way.

We have obviously left you with a very unfavourable impression of the Hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you personally and would be grateful if you could contact me at your convenience.

Regards. Liam Spillane, Resident Manager