“Would be better for business than a vacation”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed November 15, 2006

The only real problem was the location- nothing to do for a tourist, except for the science museum. Luckily, this was just a one-nighter. The room entirely lacked character, as to be expected of this type of hotel, but it was a, huge, b, comfortable, and c, with everything brand new. The breakfast was delicious; I ate four massive, rich croissants, which everyone later regretted. There were mainly business people to be seen, which confirmed my suspicion that the hotel does not cater to families with children on vacation. Still, you haven't lived until you've seen a hotel bathroom that amazingly flawless and shiny.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank ASBehringer
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2006

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us which I suspect coincided with a large conference.

Sorry the newly refurbished room wasn't to your taste, hope the breakfast made up for it.

Reviewed September 30, 2006

Stayed here for 1 night. The room was very good - well appointed, very clean and spacious, huge bed (matress was very hard but probably because it was brand new), nice views of the Clyde, air conditioning unit was quite noisy so we switched it off. The whole room looked as if it had been recently refurbished. Staff were friendly. No complaints, although can't comment on food as we were room only. The gym area looked small but equipment looked as if it was good quality. Fire alarm went off at 0050 which wasn't much fun for those in bed but we were sitting in the bar at the time - the staff gave no explanation as to what was happening and did not appear to be very organised but thankfully we weren't outside for long and there was obviously no serious problem. All in all, would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SaltyW
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2006

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the new beds very comfortable. Sorry about the fire alarm. As you quite correctly state it wasn't anything serious but you should have been told that at the time.
I hope you will come back to stay with us soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2006

I would say this hotel is OK. The rooms have recently been refurbished so they were fairly new. The room was very small and we had a king. I am not sure if there are any rooms smaller than ours was or if the only benefit to having an upgrade is the conceirge lounge access. We did use the lounge for breakfast every morning and it was adequate. The bed was new and it was the hardest bed that I have ever slept on and I spend about 50 nights a year in hotels. It was "new bed crummy mattress" hard so although it was new it was just extremely uncomfortable. To be fair though, I am probably comparing it to the Westin Heavenly Bed or the new Marriott Bed. We did arrive at the hotel around 9:00 am and our room was not ready- which is reasonable. We did get into our room at about 11:30. I noticed that there was a breakfast buffet than ran about 30 GPB so I was happy to have the conceirge lounge to eat breakfast in. The service was ok. Most of the hotel common areas are currently under renovation.
This hotel is no where near downtown. You have a healthy walk to get to the center of the city. I am not sure if there are any better hotels in Glasgow. I did not love Glasgow so I probably will not return anyway but if I did I may try to check around for a better hotel. Overall, I thought it was nice enough but not fabulous.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RHJF
Reviewed September 11, 2006

A group of us stayed at the Crown Plaza for a weekend as we were attending a wedding in Loch Lomond and I was very disappointed with the hotel. It was booked last minute and we did get it for a low price - I certainly would never have paid full price. This hotel does not live upto it's four star rating or it's Crown Plaza name. I've stayed in a lot of 4 star hotels and other Crown Plaza hotels - this is far from the standards I would have expected. Certainly on the cleanliness front.

We waited ages in the bar area to get served and when we did it took a while for our food and drinks to arrive.

The bedrooms are cramped and dingy and although we had a nice view, others in our group did not. The wall paper was peeling off and all black around the air conditioning unit. There were 2 empty beer bottles in our bin when we first got into our room and the room cleaning standards were terrible - our bath was not cleaned during our stay.

Luckily it didn't dampen our weekend as we actully spent little time there. Certainly wouldn't want to return......

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SamiP
Reviewed September 6, 2006

Stayed here for overnight visit to Glasgow for concert. Stayed with friends. First impressions was the bar area was big and reception was small. Only one girl on reception who was obviously run off her feet trying to sort something out for another guest. Room was adequate for two people although new carpet nothing else looked new! Showerhead in room was filthy although the view over the Clyde was very nice. Room generally was clean although there were hairs stuck in the blanket and some stains on the thrown but all in all had a good nights sleep. Didn't eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food although did have a drink and this could have been chilled a bit better. It was a bit of a hike to the hotel but all in all adequate for our needs which was a bed for the night.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank liz21
Reviewed August 26, 2006

i dont normally complain about things but this was a particular experiece i feel needs to be shared with the paying public

i visited this hotel on thethis month. on arrival i was told my credit card needed to be pre approved, id heard of this before so wasnt too bothered, i allowed it to go through and went on my way to my room on the 11th floor,

i cannot fault the first night , the meal was excellent well presented , the room on arival however was grubby , there was an inch thick layer of dust where the glasses and free water was , however it was well presented all thru despite renovation work going on .

so i had high hopes for the second day and boy was i wrong.

firstly i should add that the rooms were supposed to be air conditioned and when i was there mine would only blow out hot air not cold , i contacted maintenence twice and they said ok sorry its broken ,

i arrived for breakfast which went well and was lovely i then went back up to my room to relax however was ment by terrible banging and thumping. i went out to the hall to see what was happening and was greeted by workmen brandishing a wet paint sign. i let it go understanding that the hotel was being refurbished.

then at lunchtime i was getting hungry and decided to call room service, they took 1hr to arrive with the food and when they did it was wrong , i had to wait a further half an hour for the other half to come up , then they forgot to bring my pudding , so when asked what i ordered i told them and was met with the reply , sorry thats not been on the menu for years , despite it being a new menu.

then at this point i decided to go and use the gym, i was on the 11th floor, so after waiting 20mins for a lift one finally came , i got in the lift and the doors banged shut with such force they opened again leaving a fairly wide gap , imagine my surprise when the lift started to move and continued to do so for one whole floor , i was really frightened by this and decided to get off quick smart and run downstairs

on the way back up i used the stairs as i was frightened to use the lift, once back at the room the air con still wasnt working and this was the final straw

i wnet downstairs and asked the reception to see a manager i relayed all this information to him , who said he would look into it and get back to me when i went down for dinner.

on arrival at dinner that evening i was looking forward to the meal as the night before was lovely and was greeted by a rather limp looking buffet as im a vegeterian i asked them what the vegeterian option was and the replyed we dont have one, but we can make u up a salad or pasta, however i dont feel that salad or pasta constitutes 15 pounds worth of main meal if you could call it a main meal. so i was offered a full plate of veg and sent on my merry way .

upon sitting down to tuck into the veg i couldnt even cut it with a knife it was that bad. so i complained to the waitress who spoke to the supervisor, and they then said ok dont pay for your meal,

so i didnt.

upon leaving the resturant i seen the manager dealing with my complaints earlier, he told me that yes my air con was working and that someone had been into my room while i was at dinner without asking me first , and that the air con was working now so that problem was sorted, he said that i wouldnt have to pay for room service as it was wrong , fair enough so far so good , as with regards to the lift he said , ive contacted engineers and they say that its not possible for a lift to move with the doors open , i was irate, i know that the lift moved and i was clearly shaken and frightened as i was helped by some american tourists at the time who witnessed the whole thing , however he made me out to be mad.

at this point i wanted to leave but it was getting late so i went to bed ready to check out first thing,

i went to reception to check out and they lady settled my bill and i left the hotel quickly as at that point id had enough,

on returning home i realised that they have messed up the check out , as well as having my pre approved amount debited from my account i had the charge for the room removed as well ,! i was outraged, so i contacted the hotel to tell them whats happened and spoke to a lovely lady there who said she was very sorry for what had happened and would pass the comments i made onto the manager, and they would return the pre approved amount as soon as possible,

i told the girl i wanted compensation for my experience and inconvenience that the check out had caused, and she said she would call me back. she did , and told me that they would return the pre approved amount but the manager didnt feel that any further compensation should be given, im outraged and still waiting to hear from the manager

i feel i was cheated, i had high expectations from this hotel and it let me down. i hope someone reads this and replys to me because i really feel that the standard this hotel set was dreadfull .

Stayed: August 2006
7  Thank rammie18
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2006

Needless to say, but I was extremely concerned to read of your stay which appears to have been plagued with problems.

The Guest relations manager fully briefed the team following your meeting with him. I can assure you that we treat feedback such as yours very seriously indeed.

I understand we have already written to you directly regarding the various issues and I do hope that you will visit us again so as you can witness first hand that the necessary corrective actions have been taken.

Reviewed August 22, 2006

My recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Glasgow was excellent in every way but one, the terrible service at breakfast. From the moment we arrived at the hotel until we left the staff were very attentive and helpful and the room was to a very high standard. Even though we were staying for one night and we had booked a cheap rate on the Internet the service was good in everyway almost. The disappointment was breakfast on Sunday morning, now I know the breakfast area is being renovated and this will cause disruption but the problem appeared to be the lack of interest the staff had. One incident was being asked by the guy with the tea and coffee which I would like and then him walking away without giving me any. There seemed to be quite a few other guests finding problems with the service. Its a pity that a hotel operating to a high standard can be let down by a small problem like this. I will come back here again the good points far outweigh the one bad point and hopefully this will be rectified soon.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Rineen