“Crowne Plaza Glasgow”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
“Crowne Plaza Glasgow”
Reviewed May 29, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at the end of May.
Check-in was swift and efficient. Reception staff were friendly & helpful. The foyer and open-plan restaurant on the ground floor are impressive and large.
We had a refurbished room and it was stylish & comfortable. The fluffy robes, mineral water & chocolates were very nice touches.
The bathroom & room were very clean and the bathroom had plenty of large thick towels & a heated towel rail. Nice quality toiletries too.
We were on the 10th floor with impressive views down the Clyde to the SECC.
We ate dinner in the hotel on one evening. It was average. My husband had fish & chips which he said was ok. I ordered salmon salad but the salad turned out to be just lots of shredded lettuce covered in mayonnaise. It wasn't to my taste & not what I expected. I expected a normal mixed salad; lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers etc. So I had to leave most of it. Next tme I'll check before ordering as it was an expensive mistake !
There are good restaurants within a few minutes walk of the hotel. We went to a good Thai restaurant. There is also an Indian restaurant which looked good.
The hotel is in an impressive setting next to the Clyde and the night-time view from our room was stunning.
I recommend using ear plugs at night as it was quite noisy with other guests talking & banging doors.
Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice & very helpful & friendly waitresses. Breakfast was available for quite a few hours so you could easily avoid the peak times.
My only complaint is that the tables for two were far too close together and you could hear people's conversation & they could hear yours. Unfortunately we were sandwiched between two tables with noisy babies on them. It was like having breakfast in a creche !
You can walk into the city centre. It takes about 15 mins. There is a pleasant walk along the Clyde into town.
I would recommend this hotel. It represents excellent value for money. We paid £65 for the room per night including breakfast. Brilliant !
I will definitely stay at this hotel next time I visit Glasgow.

3 Thank Heather V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 20, 2006

We managed to get nice new rooms. Very nice. There is also an executive lounge on the 15th floor but you have to pay extra for that. We tried for an upgrade but didn't get it as hotel was very busy with a conference ( loads of suits ). Breakfast very good but went into town for dinner.

Understand whole hotel is getting refurbished.....place doesn't look like a building site though.

Will be back again some day

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glasgow
Reviewed May 14, 2006

I normally stay at the City Inn, but thought I would give the Crowne Plaza a try, due to the fact that it had undergone major refurbishment. This information is given on its website and various other websites offering accommodation. I was disappointed to see that the bedrooms do not seem to feature in the refurbishment programme! The paper was peeling off the wall, the lampshades were all stained. The bathroom was so old, it must have come out of the ark. The leaflets in the room were all dirty and well worn. The general feeling overall was run down. This hotel was not worthy of its four stars. Next time I will go back to the City Inn.

2 Thank glasgowdee
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, May 16, 2006
I'm sorry you were quite obviously allocated a room that has not yet been refurbished. We are currently in the throes of a major refurbishment of all areas of the hotel which has been planned to cause the minimum of disruption to our guests. I am pleased to confirm that we are on schedule and have already completed 6 floors of rooms with another 2 to be returned in june.Feedback from our guests has been wonderful.

We are also refurbishing all the public areas and conference suites and are introducing a new restaurant. Again, all planned so as to minimise any disruption.

Again, my apologies you did not get to stay in one of the new rooms. Please do call in next time you are in Glasgow as we would be pleased to show you the improvements that have been made.