“Fantastic Second Stay At Crowne Plaza Glasgow!”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow for Take That at Hampden. I received a call from the hotel around a week before my stay to offer a coach service to the concert and back. FANTASTIC! Thank you so much, very well organised and really took the hassle out of traveling to Hampden ourselves.
As always the hotel is beautiful. Very modern. Hotel rooms are spacious and modern. Hotel lobby, bars and restaurants are fantastic and great value.
As a Manager of a Travel Agent, Crowne Plaza Glasgow is my number one choice for a great value, modern hotel with fantastic service from all staff for me and my customers.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank missmuimui
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2009

Thanks for such a positive and constructive review. I do hope you will return and stay with us again. You are right about the deals on the Hotel website.

Regards

Dominic McVey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,449)

Reviewed June 29, 2009

arrived at end of june i had booked two rooms on the internet i am a platinum card member of priority club. the problems began when i was asked for credit card authorization i hater this and i feel its unnecessary it would appear they wanted me to make a deposit for extras up front i politely said i would pay everything at end then i received one room card for one upgraded room i pointed this out and the other not upgraded room was on the floor below. i was too tired to argue the airconditoinig appears to be centally controlled and kept coming on very noisily in the night in both rooms in spite of the airconditoining knobs being turned to off position next morning the breakfast fell well below the expected standard a lot of the items were inedible having gone hard and dry the utensils wewre hot to the point of dangerous and there was a long and poorly managed queue. also the juices were diluted to the point of tastelessness.the hotel is 40 minutes walk from town or you can walk on the bridge to the railway station which tqkes 3 minutes to central and is cheap.bar food on the saturday night was of excellent quality. my wife was woken at 2.30 am the next morning by someone opening her door at 2.30 fortunately the chain wa son . i reported this the next morning and to be fair saw the duty manager immediately who was polite and concerned and investigated promptly all the staff are polite and friendly.apparently you can check whether the key cards have been used at what time . she emailed me to say that the door cant have been closed even with the chain on my wife was sure it was closed but at least the matter was investigated when the people whod tried to get in went in the correct room the paper thin walls ensured my wife could not get back to sleep the air conditioning was still an issue. breakfast was slightly better the next morning but i feel still below 4 star standard. so to summarize noisy rooms and below average breakfast friendly staff do atone to some degree. car parking is good but i would probably not stay here again.incidentallly i have been offered an upgrade the next time but then i should get one anyway

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank CleethorpesGtfcfan
Reviewed June 27, 2009

i found this hotel extremely overrated for a crowne chain, it was out in the middle of no where and had to take cabs to and from the city centre some $15 dollars each way i selected this hotel for it,s location to shops and nightlife and could not have been further from both., The lobby ws nice and staff were friendly enough, the rooms were a little small at least mine was, breakfast in the morning was the most expensive i have ever seen, it was 30 dollars american for a scottish breakfast, that is extremely overrated, all in all if your looking for value this is not the place

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2009

we stayed here to attend a concert at the secc, we stayed in a king size club room, with access to the club lounge (free alcoholic drinks and canapes from 5pm-9pm) we stayed on a dinner b&b basis, the room was spotless, massive bed(3 pillows wide) bottled water in room, which was very much appreciated,we were on the 15th floor, the club rooms are on 15th and 16th floor, the club lounge on the 15th.we got a good deal buying from the hotel website, advance ticket for only £149.00 per room per night for DB&B excellent value,our dinner was buffet style and was the best salmon i've ever tasted,the breakfast was buffet style with plenty fresh food to choose from.
access to the hotel via a walkway from the car park is super when wet,as is the direct under cover access to the secc, made it all so easy.
i left my handbag lying in the restaurant and it was quickly recovered by the staff, well done to you all for providing a lovely stay, lovely friendly staff.
The following night we stayed at kinloch rannoch for £250.00, i've never felt so ripped off in all my life.
We will definitely be back to the club rooms at the plaza.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane N
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza for my birthday, the hotel is large and modern on the waterfront. slightly away from most of Glasgow but very handy for the SECC. Service from reception was brilliant, even going so far as to change a dodgy Scottish fiver (I'm fairly sure it had come off an inkjet!) which the taxi driver they had recommended gave in change. The room was great and had a large, if aging, entertainment system, a comfy, large bed and a spacious bathroom. The view was good of the river and if I squinted I could just about see Ibrox, which as a Glasgow visitor is a bonus. Breakfast was of a large international buffet style. Plenty of choice and very filling, in fact so filling I'm fairly sure I didn't eat lunch whilst in Glasgow! Dinner at the hotel was quite nice, a good selection and reasonable prices, having a river view also helps. Be careful if you have an inclusive meal as it wasn't immediately obvious that you were limited to a certain spend per person.
Though I enjoyed my stay at the Crowne Plaza, I do have an extremely large gripe- Fire Alarms! We stayed two nights, the fire alarms went off three times at night and no apology was given at check out. I know safety is important but three times in 2 nights seems like a fault to me.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotel_bed
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My girlfirend and I are getting married on the 6th of June, as you can imagine, the run up has been a little stressfull!. To give us a break we booked a night in the Crown Plaza, and we had tickets for the Pavillion that night to see one of our favourite Comedians. We had booked a club room on the 16th Floor through our 'Priority Club' membership. On booking in we were given our room and informed by the nice lady that we also had access to the club lounge on the 15th Floor which had complemetary tea, coffee, wine, beer and food.!! Unfortunately, we didn't have time to take advantage of this, but I did go in before it was busy, and was very impressed..........You can't beat it!

The room itself was very modern. spacious, with a stunning view over the clyde. All mod cons, such as air con, mini bar internet access etc. A lovely large bathroom, with complimentary shampoos, etc all very nicely laid out. The bed was large with 3 sets of double pillows and a small box with chocolates for us, the bed was made to a high standard too!.

We had dinner as part of our package and had pre booked it, I would recommend to anyone to do this, as the hotel was busy. Dinner was Buffet, and the food was top notch, as was the service, my only gripe (the only one I have in fact) is that the buffet area in my opinion is too small and at times can be a bit like feeding time at the zoo, with all the diners pushing for postion on the hot plate. That said ,the staff were on hand to help, serve and keep the food fresh, with portions being brought from the kitchen constantly.

As it was a nice night (not often like that in Galsgow) we decided to walk into the city centre. Glasgow has been transformed in recent years and the walk along the clyde was great.

We also had to time to give hotel a once over the pooland facilites look great, however we didn't have the time to sample them unfortunately.

Breakfast in the morning was also excellent, with a varied and plentifull ammount of food on offer.

Check out was fast with no issues, It must be noted howver there is a charge of £5 per day parking which is added to you bill. No problem for me, but someone staying longer may want to look into that. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel with its stunning views of the river Clyde and the city at night. Our only regret is that we didn' have enough time to enjoy it as much as we would like. We plan on returning later on in the year, possibly to combine Xmas shopping. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for a city break. Its not cheap, but you certainly get what you pay for!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigdel5412
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2009

Thanks for such a positive comprehensive review. We do hope you'll visit again. Let us know if you are.

Dominic McVey

Reviewed May 24, 2009

We booked this hotel as a last minute stay through laterooms.com as we were in Glasgow for a Girls Aloud concert, late rooms stated that this hotel was close to the SECC and we were given a good rate, which was exactly what we fancied. The hotel was really easy to find as you just head straight for the SECC which is well signposted all the way into Glasgow.
The hotel has its own private parking and couldnt be closer to the SECC, infact, you dont even have to leave the hotel as their is a walkway into the Clyde Auditorium.
On arrival, we found that there were no double rooms left so we were upgraded to a king size room. The room its self was very clean and spacious, had a nice modern bathroom and decor and had a good view over the clyde and city. There was a swimming pool etc in the hotel but we didnt use it.
The bar prices were reasonable and the breakfast which was included was good.
If you are looking for a city break or you are going to something in the SECC, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple