“Top marks from a fussy traveller”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #39 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Top marks from a fussy traveller”
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I was treated to a night at the Crowne Plaza and travelled up from my home (also in Scotland) late afternoon. I was a little daunted when I saw it was a 'Tower block' hotel, but my misgivings vanished immediately when I entered the Reception area and sensed a warm and friendly atmosphere. The food was excellent and the staff fantastic, friendly and unobtrusive. My room was on the fifth floor, it had a gigantic bed, large TV complimentary tea/coffee etc and a spotless bathroom with good quality toiletries and fluffy towels all provided. I requested a very early wake up call and also a taxi for 6.15am, both requests were dealt with efficiently, and I spoke briefly to a smart and cheerful young man at Reception as I passed through to my waiting taxi, he changed my £20.00 note for smaller notes to pay my taxi fare. Despite being a large hotel hosting a Country and Western weekend, attended by several hundred guests, I was made to feel as I really counted as an individual, very rare these days!! The last meal I had in a 'tower block' hotel was at a very famous 7 star establishment in Dubai (naming no names) but I can honestly say I enjoyed my experience at the Plaza much more, and would happily return if I have the opportunity. Ellie

• Liked — The bed and the bathroom
  • Disliked — No faults
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Bernie-S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Montreal
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Stayed here for a conference like most others in the hotel at this time. A busy time for the staff which never affected the quality of the service -- very helpful and friendly, and room was of high standards, as Crowne Plazas go.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Seat11A
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed September 22, 2008

OK, so where do I start .... we booked a family room (2 double beds) in June for a long weekend with our 5 year old. On previous stays, we have been given a nice family room and it's been great.

This time we arrived about 4.30pm, and were given a room on the 6th floor. When we got to the room, it was a standard bedroom with one double bed only. Someone had been sick in the bathroom and the smell was horrendous. A concirege then appeared with a dodgy fold-up bed for our son, with no space in the room for it. I went down to reception and then we were moved to a 2 room suite on the 5th floor.
Next problem was that our son would have to sleep on a sofa bed in the lounge area - no problems here but the main air-con unit in the corner was making a racket, so he couldn't sleep. We couldn't find how to switch it off so called reception. A really nice guy came up and told us it was the main unit for the floor and couldn't be turned off. This was now 11pm, and we then got moved to the same room on the 1st floor. Surprisingly exactly the same unit in there and the same noise.
Normally that is the sitting room area, but is no use to sleep in.
We took our son in with us and I hardly slept a wink being kicked and punched all night.

I got a hold of the duty manager in the morning and he refunded our stay and we just left. We just came home a day earlier as neither myself or my wife had hardly any sleep. If I wanted a bad nights sleep with a fold out bed I would have booked a budget hotel for half the price.

Why were we not given a family room?, we booked in June.

Sorry, but that place has gone badly downhill. There were trays left out in the corridor where people had room service and they were still there the next morning. The carpets in the rooms were stained and furniture not even dusted.

Pathetic excuse for a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank kradcliffe
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, October 2, 2008
Thankyou for posting a review.I was aware of the issues you encountered during your stay and would like to add my apologies and regret to those of the Guest Relations Manager whom you spoke to on the Sunday Morning.
I am sorry that you were not allocated a double double room on this ocassion.We sometimes use our corner suites as family rooms in periods of high demand as all have sofa beds which you confirm was not an issue. I am however extremely sorry that our comfort cooling system was quite obviously not working as it should have been and that it could not be rectified during your stay.As a regular guest, you are aware we can do better and I am sure that we will return to those levels.Please let me know if you do chose to book again and I will ensure you get your preferred room type.No excuse for the trays left overnight. Regards and thanks again. Dominic McVey
gourock
Reviewed September 16, 2008

we arrived at this hotel for a family weekend 3 children and 2 adults we booked a family room for 5 when we arrived we had one room with a double bed and another room with pull out bed very small double bed to fit 3 children in !!!!!! first evening we went for dinner in the restrurant we were given 1 kids pack between our 3 children and told they didnt have any more, a table beside us arrived for dinner 2 children with them both children given gift packs!! we then had a cold buffet dinner and a bottle of wine we ate around 7pm left about 8pm went to our room about 11pm that night we were wakened by someone banging on the door it was the resturant manager to say he forgot to bill us for our wine we had given our room number when we arrived so there wasnt a problem we had to give him £20 at 11 oclock at night !they must have checked to see we were there until sunday afternoon this is friday night!!!!! next morning we went for breakfast which we enjoyed. i went to speak to the hotel manger to say that i wasnt happy about being wakened up at 11pm the night before with 3 children in our room he just grined and said he would have a word , i saw the two men laughing a few minutes later, dirty looks for the rest manger for the rest of our stay IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL NOT CHILD FRIENDLY !!!!!!!

• Liked — swimming pool
  • Disliked — small be bed for children food, staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank 1969barracuda
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, October 2, 2008
Thanks for your review. Unfotunately as the review relates to a stay 2 months ago, we are having difficulties investigating the circumstances. I have sent you a message separately in this regard.

I can only apologise profusely for the actions of a member of my team and can assure you that an incident of this nature will not occur again.

I am pleased to confirm that we are currently reviewing our " Childrens Offering" to ensure that they feel really valued, get loads of attention as we do really want them to come back again.

Thanks again.

Dominic McVey
Ellon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2008

lovely hotel. Great views.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, UK
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed 1 night at the Crowne Plaza, and paid extra for a club room via the website

Due to motorway works blocking our exit from the M8 we struggled to find the hotel, though this would normally be easy given its location adjoining the SECC which is very well signposted

We arrived early in the afternoon and were greeted by a friendly receptionist who told us our room was free and we could check in, even though it was before the check in time notified to us

Our room on the 15th floor was furnished in a contemporary style and had views downriver - it was very clean and the bed was comfortable

We decided to go shopping and got a fairly inexpensive taxi into town - the taxi driver like all those we met in Glasgow was very friendly and chatty

After a good shop along Buchanan Street, we got a taxi back from the Station - our timing wasnt great and we crawled along the riverside in rush hour traffic

We used the Club Lounge facilities and got talking to some Scottish ex pats, now residing in Australia, and spent a couple of hours topping up our glasses and snacking on the very nice canapes

We then went back into town for a meal that we struggled to eat after our time in the Club Lounge, though the member of hotel staff in there was really helpful, suggesting options for restaurants and booking a table for us

We walked back to the hotel , which was a longer walk than it seemed in a taxi, and through an area that wasnt the nicest by night - would recommend using a taxi unless you are very fit

Breakfast had a good choice of items in the buffet, though as others have commented , service was slow and tables werent cleared too quickly despite the place not being that busy at 9am when we ate. It even took 5 minutes for us to be offered tea or coffee

However this would be our only criticism of a very large, modern but friendly hotel and we will definitely stay there again when visiting Glasgow

• Liked — The staff ( other than some of the restaurant staff), club lounge and views
  • Disliked — Restaurant service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mackem1
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from an overnight stay ay the Crowne Plaza Glasgow. In the main it was an enjoyable stay, check in went smoothly and the room was spacious and clean.
The leisure facilities were good, nice swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.
We booked on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast deal and chose to eat from the buffet in the evening, there was plenty of choice and the food seemed good quality and lots of it.
The only down side was the breakfast buffet which could only be described as a shambles. There were lots of tables which were cluttered with dirty dishes with no sign of anyone clearing them.
In the end we had to clear one ourselves and obtain our own clean knives, forks, cups and saucers!
Tea and coffee arrived fairly swiftly on request and the food when we got it was good with plenty of variety.
We were in the dining area for 45 minutes and none of the tables either side of us were cleared in that time despite plenty of guests wandering around looking for a clean table to eat from.
There did seem to be plenty of staff who were cheery and pleasant enough but just seemed to lack some direction.
My wife was wearing a blouse and black trousers and was less than impressed when she went for some fruit juice and was asked by a fellow guest to clear a table for them, she was obviously mistaken for a member of staff !
I did raise our concerns at check out but we got the impression that this seemed to be a fairly normal breakfast service as "it was busy" not good enough.
In the end breakfast apart we enjoyed our stay, it's not very often we get away without the children so we always make the best of it and would consider returning if the disorganised breakfast was sorted.

• Liked — Good clean room
  • Disliked — Poor breakfast service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple