“terrible staff wont be back”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
gourock
“terrible staff wont be back”
Reviewed September 16, 2008

we arrived at this hotel for a family weekend 3 children and 2 adults we booked a family room for 5 when we arrived we had one room with a double bed and another room with pull out bed very small double bed to fit 3 children in !!!!!! first evening we went for dinner in the restrurant we were given 1 kids pack between our 3 children and told they didnt have any more, a table beside us arrived for dinner 2 children with them both children given gift packs!! we then had a cold buffet dinner and a bottle of wine we ate around 7pm left about 8pm went to our room about 11pm that night we were wakened by someone banging on the door it was the resturant manager to say he forgot to bill us for our wine we had given our room number when we arrived so there wasnt a problem we had to give him £20 at 11 oclock at night !they must have checked to see we were there until sunday afternoon this is friday night!!!!! next morning we went for breakfast which we enjoyed. i went to speak to the hotel manger to say that i wasnt happy about being wakened up at 11pm the night before with 3 children in our room he just grined and said he would have a word , i saw the two men laughing a few minutes later, dirty looks for the rest manger for the rest of our stay IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL NOT CHILD FRIENDLY !!!!!!!

• Liked — swimming pool
  • Disliked — small be bed for children food, staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank 1969barracuda
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, October 2, 2008
Thanks for your review. Unfotunately as the review relates to a stay 2 months ago, we are having difficulties investigating the circumstances. I have sent you a message separately in this regard.

I can only apologise profusely for the actions of a member of my team and can assure you that an incident of this nature will not occur again.

I am pleased to confirm that we are currently reviewing our " Childrens Offering" to ensure that they feel really valued, get loads of attention as we do really want them to come back again.

Thanks again.

Dominic McVey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Ellon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2008

lovely hotel. Great views.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, UK
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed 1 night at the Crowne Plaza, and paid extra for a club room via the website

Due to motorway works blocking our exit from the M8 we struggled to find the hotel, though this would normally be easy given its location adjoining the SECC which is very well signposted

We arrived early in the afternoon and were greeted by a friendly receptionist who told us our room was free and we could check in, even though it was before the check in time notified to us

Our room on the 15th floor was furnished in a contemporary style and had views downriver - it was very clean and the bed was comfortable

We decided to go shopping and got a fairly inexpensive taxi into town - the taxi driver like all those we met in Glasgow was very friendly and chatty

After a good shop along Buchanan Street, we got a taxi back from the Station - our timing wasnt great and we crawled along the riverside in rush hour traffic

We used the Club Lounge facilities and got talking to some Scottish ex pats, now residing in Australia, and spent a couple of hours topping up our glasses and snacking on the very nice canapes

We then went back into town for a meal that we struggled to eat after our time in the Club Lounge, though the member of hotel staff in there was really helpful, suggesting options for restaurants and booking a table for us

We walked back to the hotel , which was a longer walk than it seemed in a taxi, and through an area that wasnt the nicest by night - would recommend using a taxi unless you are very fit

Breakfast had a good choice of items in the buffet, though as others have commented , service was slow and tables werent cleared too quickly despite the place not being that busy at 9am when we ate. It even took 5 minutes for us to be offered tea or coffee

However this would be our only criticism of a very large, modern but friendly hotel and we will definitely stay there again when visiting Glasgow

• Liked — The staff ( other than some of the restaurant staff), club lounge and views
  • Disliked — Restaurant service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mackem1
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from an overnight stay ay the Crowne Plaza Glasgow. In the main it was an enjoyable stay, check in went smoothly and the room was spacious and clean.
The leisure facilities were good, nice swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.
We booked on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast deal and chose to eat from the buffet in the evening, there was plenty of choice and the food seemed good quality and lots of it.
The only down side was the breakfast buffet which could only be described as a shambles. There were lots of tables which were cluttered with dirty dishes with no sign of anyone clearing them.
In the end we had to clear one ourselves and obtain our own clean knives, forks, cups and saucers!
Tea and coffee arrived fairly swiftly on request and the food when we got it was good with plenty of variety.
We were in the dining area for 45 minutes and none of the tables either side of us were cleared in that time despite plenty of guests wandering around looking for a clean table to eat from.
There did seem to be plenty of staff who were cheery and pleasant enough but just seemed to lack some direction.
My wife was wearing a blouse and black trousers and was less than impressed when she went for some fruit juice and was asked by a fellow guest to clear a table for them, she was obviously mistaken for a member of staff !
I did raise our concerns at check out but we got the impression that this seemed to be a fairly normal breakfast service as "it was busy" not good enough.
In the end breakfast apart we enjoyed our stay, it's not very often we get away without the children so we always make the best of it and would consider returning if the disorganised breakfast was sorted.

• Liked — Good clean room
  • Disliked — Poor breakfast service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Latchie
aberdeen
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Got one of the best rates we have ever had at any hotel, maybe due to the hotel being really quiet, which was great for us.
I had stayed at the hotel previously at a business event, and I recommended it to my partner, he was taking me away to cheer me up after having a spinal injection. We frequent Glasgow quite often but usually stay at another hotel in Glasgow.
After enduring the agonising drive to get there, we arrived at the hotel. On check in the girl was extremely pleasant, but had no details that b/fast was included in our stay!!! She said she had amended it, so off we went to our room. The room itself was really dusty, and the dusty kettle contained stagnant water from previous guest!!! Not what we expected at all from a 4* hotel.
The room decor was nice but showing signs of age & equipment was dated. e.g.(TV)
The room was uncomfortably hot even with the noisy a/c switched on. We contacted a senior member of staff who offered us another room, but it was just as hot, so we kindly declined his offer even though it was a suite!!! He told us to advise reception when we were going out so house-keeping could clean the room. However on our return it was the same. We contacted the same person who apologised and said he would arrange for cleaning to be carried out right away. But I needed some rest and not someone cleaning at 17:00 hrs. But we kindly accepted the offer of a fan as I had no sleep due to the heat in the room & the noisy a/c.
When we went down for b/fast, we were not on the b/fast list and I found this very embarrassing & stressful to say the least. We were given an apology and told it would not happen the following day, but it did.
We did not venture to far due to my back and decided to eat at the hotel during the evenings of our stay, you could not fault the food on the 1st night, but the 2nd night my partner's meal looked terrible and I believe it tasted terrible as well. The Chef came out from the kitchen and discussed the problem with my partner and the matter was resolved amicably. I was just a bit upset that I had to eat on my own, while my partner waited for his replacement meal to be served.
On a more positive note, the Chef was excellent as was the woman on b/fast duty, she was extremely pleasant and helpful, and the lounge bar staff were also extremely efficient and friendly.
While staying I used the beauty salon which I enjoyed very much. The hotel's swimming pool facilities were also great and were near empty, which We found so relaxing, I am always worried about someone banging into my back, and usually avoid anywhere that is overly busy. The hotel was very quiet during our stay, which I appreciated.
The location of the CP is one of the reasons we chose it, as you definitely get a room with a view.
I found the charge for using the car park as a resident quite expensive & there is a charge for connecting to wireless internet. (Our usual hotel does not charge for either)
My partner wrote to the hotel regarding our issues and received a reply from the Manager. It's good to see he actually reads and replies to both negative and positive comments about his hotel, this in itself great customer service.
We hope to stay again in the future, and that these issues have been addressed.

• Liked — The Pool facilities
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008
1 Thank MissW45
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, August 12, 2008
Sorry about the confusion surrounding your rate and the meal your partner ordered. As you have pointed out, we have already replied to your e-mail and I confirm that our Chef has been in discussions with our supplier regarding the specification of the dish in question. Thankyou for the nice comments regarding the team. I have passed them on to those concerned.
I am delighted that you will be back. Please do let me know when you are coming.

Dominic McVey
Co. Antrim
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I spent a few nights in this hotel recently. Unfortunately I left disappointed. The reasons why were numerous, and the hotel left me with the impression it needs to sharpen up generally, especially given its location.

The hotel itself is in a quite awful location, unless you work for the BBC or STV, or are staying one night to go to (or play) a concert at the SECC. The city centre is certainly not walking distance. I know because I walked it. A sign outside the SECC says it is a mile, but it seemed more like 2 just to get to the edge of the city, with very little to hold your interest in between unless you are a fan of terrible architecture.

The restaurant is also a bit pricey. I was there on business, but given a tight month I simply could not afford to eat there. I would expect a hotel restaurant to have an affordable menu available to guests, but I did not see a meal priced under £10 ($19.92, €12.69 at today’s exchange rates).

If that is outside your budget you really have little choice given the location. My room looked over one side of the hotel which was dominated by car parks as far as was practical to walk. In my time there I chose to walk in the other three 3 directions. The city centre is a distance along the Clyde. I walked north on one occasion, past the SECC, and over a footbridge across what I now think is the clydeside expressway (based on Google maps). I ended up in a high street of some description. It was after dark and looking around I got scared and went back to the hotel.

On a different occasion I went south across the Clyde expecting to walk along the towpath to what would best be described as a leisure park for an evening meal. There as ample choice. Nandos, Frankie and Bennies, Burger King, Chiquitos etc. The problem was that a section of the towpath had been closed off as a private garden for some of the ugliest apartments I have ever seen. This meant I had to walk along Govan Road, Given my previous experience, had it been after dark I would have went back. Instead I carried on, and passed a pub with the letters YCV (a Northern Ireland loyalist terrorist organisation) spray-painted on its facade. Eventually I made it to the Burger king and had a meal, but it wasn't worth the journey!

The one meal I had in the restaurant was breakfast buffet, which was excellent. Anything you could imagine from bacon, sausage and eggs, to croissants, to kippers, to Danish pastries was available.

The hotel is also nice enough of itself. It has a horrible mural painted on a wall of the breakfast/restaurant area; however the lobby area is quite pleasant besides that. Rooms are cleaned every day, though not thoroughly. There was a strange stain on the ceiling of my room, and I was able to write in the dust on the dresser, as my pictures show. The ironing board in the room was also terrible. It was about as bumpy as the moon, only with more water on it (which poured out of the iron). There was also a terrible smear of black silicon (pictured) around the tiles in the bathroom which given the price of the hotel should have been avoided.

The ice machine on my floor was also faulty. I reported this to reception on my last night, but when I left the following day this remained the case. I was assured this was to be dealt with, but as I don't know what the problem was I can't be sure if this was still the case when I left for reasons of a failure to deal with it or a technical issue.

I also had problems checking out. My reservation had been made with via a travel agent by my employer. The hotel had a record of reservation, but not that I wasn't to pay. This meant they needed a credit card to guarantee payment when I checked in, and a bit of a drama when I left for payment. Having spoken to colleagues of mine the travel agent in question is very reliable, so I can only assume the problem originated with the hotel. As I don't have a credit card and had to guarantee payment via a colleague’s card, I was left in a rather awkward position.

All in all I would have reservations (no pun intended) about staying at the Crowne Plaza again. I didn't pay for my visit, but given the prices I have seen on the internet I would not consider it, unless visiting the SECC, BBC, or STV. Given the prices I have seen quoted, the best I can give is 2 stars. I would not like to spend more than £100 per room per night on this hotel. Management seem to be responding to quite a few tripadvisor reviews, which must be welcomed, but they would be better served sharpening up their act...

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — the Location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank QSIDE
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, August 4, 2008
Sorry you were disappointed with your stay. I was particularly concerned to read of the dust in your room but am pleased to report that our housekeeper has deffinately taken this on board which has been reflected during our daily room checks.I can also confirm that the ice machine has been replaced and the stain in the corner of the ceiling addressed.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your breakfast. Sorry if you found our restaurant menus too expensive. We do take a lot of care when compiling menus,particularly pricing and always try to offer the best quality at the correct price.We receive so many nice comments on our location, sorry if it didn't suit your needs.
Dominic McVEY
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I stayed for two nights with work and found the hotel to be really comfortable.

Lovely room with very large bed and all the pillows you could ever desire! Big TV, and all the usual tea making, shirt ironing facilities. Good view over the river towards BBC Scotland and the science museum. The bathroom was also lovely.

The only downside was that there was a continuous knocking noise coming from the air vent even when air conditioning was off.

At breakfast the waiters seemed very very slow even when it wasn't very busy but other then that I had an overall very good experience.

I walked into town along the river which was very easy but it was a particularly nice day. Getting a taxi back from the town centre was easy.

I would recommend staying there especially if on business.

• Liked — Smart, high quality, clean hotel
  • Disliked — slow waiters
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business