“Could be so much better”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
gourdon
“Could be so much better”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza last night as we were down at a concert in the Hydro. Excellent location, just a short walk to venue however we were disappointed with the poor condition of our room. We waited for quite a while in a queue to check in then when we arrived in our room there were marks on the carpet and the bathroom looked really tatty. We expected so much more.
Staff in restaurant were friendly as were bar staff.
We went to check out this morning and the guy at reception said that payment for our stay was required but I replied we paid in full at time of booking and that the receptionist confirmed that when we checked in. He said he would have to go and check with the girl which he did then came back and said it was a mistake on their part!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your room; we try our best to ensure all our bedrooms are furnished to a high standard and I’m disappointed that this wasn’t the case during your stay. I would also like to extend my apologies concerning payment but I’m pleased this was rectified swiftly. I hope you return in the future to see what we can offer our guests.

Dominic McVey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
North Berwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before as we spend a couple of nights here, every year, to attend concerts at the SECC. For that purpose, the location is fantastic. You simply walk - indoors - to the auditorium. However, the hotel is SO busy, that the reception staff don't make any effort to make you feel welcome, it's more of a 'take it or leave it' attitude. I am an IHG platinum member, so I give the Crowne Plaza brand a lot of business, and I can honestly say that no other establishments have staff who are so brusque. After waiting in line, for fifteen minutes, to check-in, we were allocated a room and duly went to it. We inserted the card, opened the door and found another couple in there along with all of their belongings! They were not happy! So, back downstairs to reception and another ten minutes in-line to request another room. No apology but, as we were inconvenienced (a different female receptionist) said we could have complimentary parking (£6) (except when we checked-out, there was no record of this, and so it wasn't honoured.)
The room itself was fine, as it should be, for £220. Breakfast was £10 pp extra.
This hotel has the nuts and bolts to be fantastic. They make so much money because it is always very busy yet there are not enough reception staff on duty to cope with demand and, those who are, are stressed and not handling customers with enough respect.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to read that you continue to find your rooms with us to be comfortable and the premise of our hotel to be fantastic. I am sorry for your delay at check-in, I hope this was an isolated incident and I am pleased it was quickly resolved. I am sorry if you felt rushed by our team members; I can assure you this would not have been our reception team’s intentions. Nevertheless, I will discuss your review with them for future reference. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

stayed in this hotel on sunday evening as we were attending a concert in the clyde auditorium. a warm welcome at reception and then allocated a lovely room overlooking the clyde. great room with lovely facilities including tea/coffee/hot chocolate/biscuits, fridge, and bath towels were thick and fluffy. great breakfast with lots of choices. hotel is fantastic to walk through into the auditorium with the linking corridor. would highly recommended this hotel.

Room Tip: high floor, to overlook the clyde and views of glasgow
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I am delighted that you would happily recommend us and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Last minute booking excellent price. Room nice decor and crisp bed linen. Unfortunately the warm!!! air heating wasn't working. The staff did not appear surprised when we mention it and suggested we leave the fan working for over 20min to see if the heat came through. Gave it an hour and nothing improved. Staff supplied us with an electric heater which sufficed and offered a change of room if we wanted to move. Our evening meal in the restaurant was sufficient but nothing special for such a prestigious hotel. The tomato soup was watery with a few vegetables and did not taste of tomato. The carvery food, meats chicken etc., was a bit on the tough side. Breakfast was better. However, we did notice a lack of supervision with the young junior staff
waiting on tables. Just one or two showed real motivation and concern for the guests. Tables were not cleared to help guests have more space to put their breakfast items. When tables were cleaned the condiments and milk etc were not moved just the periphery was wiped and I am sure some of the spray went into the milk from time to time! The hotel was very convenient for the SECC so perhaps we will visit again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be comfortable and good value but I’m disappointed you thought our team members weren’t up to scratch or our meals to be of a high quality. As these are two points we rarely hear I will be sure to discuss these with our team members but I’m confident they are isolated events. I am sorry for the lack of heat in your room but I’m pleased it was sorted quickly and efficiently.

Scotland
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay and third encounter with this hotel and all have been very positive. My wife. daughter and I had booked one night here as they were going to the rescheduled Arctic Monkeys concert at the Hydro. It is a fantastic location for going to the Hydro and after a very friendly check in, my wife and daughter were able to take a relaxed stroll across to the concert (2 minutes) rather than the usual rush to arrive and get parked and then the long wait to get out of the car park afterwards.
The hotel has a pay car park which is accessed on the road on the left of the Clyde Auditorium. It is narrow and felt as if it was one way, but this is the main way. The reception and bar area is comfortable and relaxing and there is a gift shop on site too. During Comicon earlier this year, we queued for three hours to get into the event at the SECC. When it started to rain, we left the queue and went into the hotel to buy an umbrella. At this time, the shop was shut and the security grill was down but the girl in the beauty shop and another girl who works temporarily in the shop at times, arranged to open the shop up, sell us umbrellas and ponchos,then closed up again. We were so grateful for their help which was over and above what they needed to do, especially as we were. It staying at the hotel, but we have found that this is representative of how the staff are at this hotel.
At check-in we were upgraded to a suite which had windows looking over the Clyde and over to the Clyde Auditorium. It was very comfortable with all the expected amenities. My daughter was sleeping on a good down sofa in the sitting room and as there was no bed linen in the suite, I called housekeeping and they arrived within 5 minutes and offered to make up the bed.
We slept very well in very comfortable beds and easily controlled heating/aircon. It was also very quiet. Checkout was also very pleasant and it was useful to pay for our parking £6 at reception as there is also a machine in the entrance from the carpark.
Although this hotel has a great location for the Hydro, SECC and Science Museum, it only takes a few minutes to drive into the city and I would certainly consider this in the future. There is also a train link from the site to the city centre. Overall, a great hotel, and having already stayed here a year ago, it is the staff who are the great asset.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for reviewing your time with us. I am very pleased to read that as a returning customer you continue to find your time with us to be wonderful. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

London
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Sometimes I go to Glasgow on business and there are two hotels I usually stay in. The Crown Plaza is one of them. It is located by the water, right next to the Hydro so an ideal location for a night of entertainment. The hotel has great views over Glasgow and the staff always makes you feel welcome.
I never mind staying here and they have one of the best hotel breakfasts. It is not fancy just hearty and very tasty. I even tried the haggis, it was there and already cooked and indeed it kept me going all day and I didn’t eat again until 3.30 PM!
This is a very practical hotel, welcoming and it is always nice to come back to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and continue to find us welcoming with a great breakfast to keep you going. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Ive stayed at this hotel several times now and have not been disappointed yet. The view from the bedrooms out over the Clyde is spectacular - especially at night. Beautifully located for the secc, armadillo, riverside museum, science centre and the new hydro. The staff are obviously very well trained as the service is excellent and nothing too much trouble. I will definitely be back

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased that as a returning guest you continue to enjoy your stays with us and find our hotel to have everything you need for a wonderful stay. I hope to welcome you back very soon.