“Overnight stay for secc event”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay for secc event”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with a great situation for events at SECC. You do not need to go outside to attend the venue. The public areas were extremely crowded before and after the show making it impossible to get a table for a meal or a drink..It did have a very good buffet breakfast and this was much quieter.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your experience with us. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed everything we had to offer and found our breakfasts to be particularly good. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dominic McVey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Bristol, UK
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've stayed here a few time on business and it is one of my favourite places to stay in Glasgow. Highly convenient for Scotstoun and the SECC, with several decent eateries within walking distance. Rooms are very comfortable, a decent size and comfortable beds and seating. baths are a bit on the small side, but then I do love to luxuriate in a massive bath, and these are perfectly adequate. The restaurant selection is good and reasonably priced, breakfasts start early and provide a good spread. Oh, and the staff - very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I’m very pleased to read such a lovely review of our hotel. I’m extremely pleased everything was satisfactory and you enjoyed all we had to offer. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future whether you’re on business or just want to treat yourself.

Grangemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was at a concert last night in the SECC and stayed overnight in the Crowne Plaza.
Smashing hotel, lovely rooms, great breakfast and very nice staff.
One comment-i waited approx 20-25minutes when the show finished to get a drink from the bar-
the queue seemed endless. This show was a sell-out and the hotel was full!1
I can never understand why there is never enough staff on when they know this. However
I loved this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: We were on the 14th floor-room 1411-lovely view-lovely room!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for reviewing your time with us. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay a great deal and found everything to be to a high standard. I’m sorry you had a wait for service, but as you rightly pointed out it was a very busy time for us. This will be looked into for when our hotel is next at maximum capacity. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for work. I had last been there two years ago, and it seems to be improved from then.
Check-in was quick and my room was comfortable and quiet with a good view along the Clyde. It was at the end of a floor, so I had virtually no passing noise. Room facilities are of a good standard, mine seemed to have been refurbished recently. The air-conditioning is awful though - it sounds like a jet engine! Thankfully it was winter, I can't see how anyone could put it on during the summer and manage to sleep, it is terribly noisy.
Breakfast is good and they seem able to cope with lots of people at one time. I also ate in the restaurant and had a good steak at reasonable cost.
The hotel is good for the conference centre, but a bit isolated from the city, with not much around it. If you are looking to visit Glasgow to sightsee, I would suggest picking somewhere closer to the centre of the city. But otherwise it's a good hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving feedback on your stay with us. I’m very pleased to read that you consider us to have improved since your last stay and you found us to be a comfortable and quiet hotel. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Crieff
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This review was blocked by IC Hotels say it was 'Inappropriate".....................
I booked this as a 2 for 1 offer but 2 for 1 is not quite what it says when dealing with Crowne Plaza / IC Hotels. You get a price for the night and you would think that that is the price you would pay on a 2 for 1 deal, well, they take some sort of average price and your 2 nightv are based on this. I thought I would be paying £94.50 but just before I hit the pay button I noticed in the bottom left hand corner of the page a price of £189.00 !!
As it was a special occasion I just booked it but felt miffed enough to call IC hotels. Well, that was it, take it or leave it and it was only after about 10 minutes of discussion that I suggested that complimentary breakfasts might be a nice gesture, she agreed.
We arrived on a very cold night (Jan 18th) ad there was no sign of a porter to help with luggage. The receptionist was very nice, efficient but only confirmed one comp. breakfast. She did give me the second but made it look as if it was her that was doing me a favour. No offer was made to get help with luggage.
The suite was clean but needed a refurb and the standard was about 3 star. The bed was very comfortable so top marks for that.
Breakfast next morning left a lot to be desired regarding service. This was provided (or not as was mostly the case) by foreign staff. They seemed more interested in chating between themselves than clearing tables or offering tea and coffee. The food quality was very good but let down badly by the staff.
The second mornings breakfast was just as bad as the first although again, they were not busy.
To be honest we have had better, cleaner rooms in a Holiday Inn Express with better service and a lot less to pay. This used to be a great hotel but maybe the total lack of the sighting of any management is the reason that it is now at the bottom of the league with IC Hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear UrinaBucket,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review regarding your stay with us. We welcome feedback especially from valued guests like you.

I am saddened to hear that we were unable to give you the typical high level of service which our brand is known for. I am truly sorry for the poor expereince you have encountered in our restaurant and regret that you didn't find our suite to your liking.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. We all hope that should you return to Glasgow, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and allow us to redeem your faith in the quality of our brand.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Really enjoyed this stay. Our room very comfortable and clean. The food at breakfast was of very good quality. The staff was professional, friendly and attentive. Every staff member we came across was friendly, we had an excellent view from our room. Will definitely return in the future. Lovely big secure car park. Prices were excellent for a hotel of it's size.10 out 10.

Room Tip: Choose a low floor room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JimM311
Thank you for reviewing your time with us. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us a great deal and found everything to be to your liking. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Greenock
Reviewed January 25, 2013

> On reading some of the reviews since my last visit it never ceases to amaze
> me how some people can complain about absolutely anything and nothing,
> having just returned from our 3rd stay in a couple of months I have to say
> again that the Hotel , Management and staff are excellent , very efficient
> very friendly and all very customer focused , the room again was spotless
> and the food excellent, in the hotel a wedding and an awards dinner where
> in full swing and 2 sell out events at the SECC but due to the efficiency
> and professionalism of the staff you wouldn't have noticed , the check in
> staff are the friendliest I have ever come across in any hotel, again the
> use of excellent leisure facilities was a pleasure, we had struck up a

> conversation with what turned out to be the hotel manager outside the hotel and we

> were telling him how much we liked this particular hotel and for us £ for £ it's
> the best hotel in Glasgow he then
> spent some time at the bar with us bought us a drink and told us how he had
> assembled some of his excellent staff , again can't wait to go back and the
> only down side for us was checking out.

We have just booked again for February and cant wait to go back

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cherryandwhite
It is so wonderful to read such a glowing review of our hotel. I’m so happy you found everything to be perfect and that you enjoy your stays with us so much. I look forward to seeing you in February. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.