“Comfy Suite, great service”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Comfy Suite, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed the weekend in a suite in August with my partner. We had stayed before so knew what to expect service wise but had never used a suite room before. Could not fault it at all. If you're staying for a longer amount of time i'd recommend it. Having the lounge area really makes the stay that bit more comfortable. You can watch your tv from the comfort of the sofa, as well as in the bedroom. Room was very clean and a complimentary paper delivered while we had a morning lie in. The food served in the Quarter Deck Bar was lovely and so reasonably priced. We had also bought a bottle of champagne with us for a little celebration and staff were happy to provide us with a bucket of ice and glasses to our room. Outstanding service. Great price. Fab hotel.

Room Tip: The suite is worth it if your budget stretches for a longer stay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah C
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I’m very pleased to read that everything about your stay was satisfactory and I am glad the suite made your stay that little bit more special. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Dominic McVey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Falkirk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for one night in November following a night out with friends in Glasgow. The hotel is about a mile west of the city centre, next to the SECC and the Clyde Auditorium (plus the new arena when it is finished). I booked using my Priority Club points. There are footbridges across the river to the BBC, STV and the Science Center. The area is safe but can be very quiet at night. Check in was busy but efficient and I recevied a little gift of tablet as a Priority Club Gold card holder. My room was on the 11th floor facing east. The room and bathroom were clean but the decor was a little tired. My TV remote didn't work but it was replaced after a quick call to housekeeping. The bed was comfortable and I had a good sleep. I didn't notice much noise from other room except I could hear the neighbour running their shower in the morning. I was given a discount on the breakfast buffet so it was £10 instead of the usual £17.50. There was the usual choices of fruit, cereal and cooked items, and all was pretty good quality. This is a good hotel if you are visiting one of the nearby attractions but is a little out of the city centre. There is a railway station about a 5-10 min walk away (mostly in a covered walkway) with frequent services into central station. The only negative for me was that parking is £6 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
1 Thank BigLighty
I’m pleased to read that your experience with us was satisfactory and that you enjoyed your stay. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending a conference at the SECC. The hotel is easily accessible from Glasgow city centre via a short train journey from Glasgow Central station (£1.50 return per person). The hotel is also joined via a walkway to the SECC so extremely handy.

Checkin was quick and the double standard double was surprising spacious as was the bathroom. The room had a good standard of amenities including iron.ironing board, fridge with still and sparkling water and trouser press. Rooms had A/c which could be noisy during the night if left on. The bed was comfortable. The only complaint I had was I spilt a small amount of coffee on the duvet (white) but this was not changed by housekeeping when they serviced the room, which was disappointing. The hotel was 100% occupancy but it didn't feel that way either through noise in corridors at night or restaurant activity.

I wasn't too impressed with the bar food and quite pricey. The salad that accompanied the burger was limp. Service here was slow too.
The main restaurant where breakfast was served was excellent with huge variety of hot and cold items at breakfast which really set you up for the day.

I would return here if staying in Glasgow either for business or pleasure - good location.

Room Tip: Room on 2nd floor had reasonable views of the Clyde
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us to be a comfortable and well run hotel. I’m glad your stay was quiet and not disturbed by the amount of guests we had at that moment. I’m sorry to read that your duvet cover went unchanged and you found our service could be slow at times. Your comments have been noted for discussion at a later time. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Good standard hotel. Rooms are well maintained and fresh. Also you have a great view of the Clyde. Hotel staff are friendly and efficient an the bar and food prices are extremely reasonable. The only draw back is that the hotel is slightly out of town an away from the action. It's not a long taxi journey. I however wouldn't try walking it. This hotel is ideal if you need to go to the Secc! I would use this hotel again as was impressed with the staff and the rooms. NB the showers are incredible:-)

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank vib08190
I am very pleased to read when our guests enjoy their stays with us. Our hotel is surrounded by many public transport links such as the train (£1.40 return per adult) which may be more suited to your needs should you return. I’m very glad our hotel team (and showers) impressed you so much. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Biggar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is a large hotel located by the River Clyde next door to the Scottish Exhibition & Conference Centre, Clyde Auditorium (aka the “Armadillo”) and the new “Hydro” which is due to be completed in 2013. It is therefore a handy place to stay if you are going to events at these venues.

We were meeting a group of friends to eat out in town but last minute accommodation in a more central location was scarce so it was a £5 each way taxi ride on top of the £93 B&B cost for a double room. As an alternative to a taxi you could walk to nearby Exhibition station and get a train to Central Station Lower Level - £1.40 adult single, 4 minute journey, although these don’t run after 11.20pm to the city centre & 11.35pm back on a Saturday night. Parking at the hotel is £6 per day for guests.

There is a restaurant on the premises (we only used for breakfast) and there are a few others within walking distance (e.g. La Rotunda and Yen) in addition to fast food at the arenas when open.

Check-in was quick and although the receptionist was very pleasant and asked if we had stayed before (we hadn’t) she didn’t really mention much about the facilities. For example we didn’t realise there is a spa and pool although on this trip we wouldn’t have had an opportunity to use them anyway.

We were allocated room #320 on the 3rd floor which overlooked the hotel car park and the river, with the Glasgow Science Centre & BBC on the far bank. The room itself was a reasonable size and on first impressions looked nicely furnished and decorated. The bed was superb - a good balance between firmness and comfort and I wouldn’t mind one like it at home!

The room was a bit cluttered with decorative cushions and more information display cards I think than I have ever seen in a room in my life - there was hardly a surface left free! Probably best just to put them in the guest information folder, which was also provided. Once we had moved the cards and leaflets we were able to make room for the tea/coffee making facilities (a pop-up plug socket is on the desk) as these had been tidied out of the way on a tray on a shelf . The (empty) mini bar is tucked in below this shelf at floor level and when down on hands and knees I could read that the contents could be ordered (£18.75 for a package of sorts) if required. With time to consider the price as I got to my feet again I decided against it.

The chairs and table provided in the room were handy for having a hot drink whilst catching up on the news on television prior to going out for dinner.

The room has decent storage space and the other facilities include a hairdryer and stored in the wardrobe a trouser press, iron and ironing board.

The ensuite was a reasonable size with a good shower over the bath and a vanity unit to store all your toiletries. It was in the bathroom that I noticed a few damp patches on the ceiling and marks on the wallpaper which were the only obvious signs of wear and tear in our room.

We had a drink in the bar when we returned in the evening and obtained discount using our Priority Card. There were quite a few guests around and the atmosphere was pleasant.

Breakfast was a buffet arrangement and although it was quite busy when we were eating there were no issues with the food which was being replenished as required and we had a good choice of all the usual suspects - cereals, fruits, pastries and a full complement of cooked items. The orange juice was dire and I wasn’t mad either about the large mural on the wall depicting Glasgow’s past. Staff provided teas, coffees and spent most of their time continually clearing and setting up tables - and looked as if on auto-pilot. I also saw at least one guest receiving poached eggs which had been specially ordered somehow. As we were leaving a bit of a queue had developed for tables.

Check-out was trouble free, just remember to get your parking ticket validated.

Room Tip: Ask for high, river view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a concise review of your experience with us. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found us to be a comfortable and well run hotel. If you do return to us, at breakfast , please let us know if there is something in particular you would like and we will always endeavour to assist. I have asked that the orange juice be checked as we have never had such feedback before.You will be pleased to learn that all promotional cards are being removed from the bedrooms following the installation of new Smart TV’s. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

North Berwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just stayed at Crowne Plaza Glasgow for the 6th time in 4 years. It is very convenient for the SECC as the two buildings are joined and that is the only reason we choose this hotel.
It is out of town so not convenient for shopping and restaurants.
It is quite modern in style and the rooms are pleasant enough though starting to get a little tired (I would suggest) due to the massive wear and tear as this hotel is always very busy.
There is always a queue to check-in and check-out, to go to breakfast and to go to the bar. I sometimes felt like we were on a conveyor belt.
Our room cost £180, breakfast not included. We had to queue at reception to buy vouchers for breakfast. No free wi-fi, no free parking.
Bed was comfy but the pillows were terrible; the hardest pillows we have ever experienced!
To conclude; it's OK. But maybe time to look around for somewhere else ...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
I’m pleased to read that you are a returning customer and I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are currently in the process of finalising plans for the next stage of our refurbishment programme which I hope to be able to announce before long. We are currently in discussions with our Wifi provider as well. We will check out the pillows as they should definitely be hard.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Dungannon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

great location for SECC concerts, had a good room with great evening view and good facilities
Deals for dinner excellent, food good, staff very good. Go for the evening dinner buffet, cant find value like this anywhere else
rooms just a little stuffy, and very warm.

Room Tip: get a high floor excellent views, especially if not normally a city dweller
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for leaving feedback. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us across the board and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future. When you return to us, if you find your room too stuffy, please ask a member of staff for assistance as they will be too happy to help.