“Club Rooms Not Worth the Extra Money!!!!!”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed February 11, 2008

We stayed here on the 9th Feb 2008 and I have to say I was really dissappointed with the Club Room. I booked this for my husbands birthday and after having stayed in a standard room previously as it was a special occasion I decided to book a club room, which in the in room literature it decribes it as being a more comfortable room with snacks and access to the club lounge.

The room we stayed in was exactly the same as a standard room with the only difference being a flat screen TV, I don't know about you but for me that doesn't make the room more comfortable!!! Apart from feeling a little ripped off with the the fact we didn't get this more comfortable room, the rooms are nice, could be finished a little better we had wallpaper peeling off beside the bed and above the main mirror in the room.

Then there was the problem with the Club Lounge!!! This hotel has 2 floors of club rooms the 15th and the 16th, the club lounge is on the 15th floor with only 4 tables, yes 4 tables. We tried to get into the lounge about 6pm on the Saturday night however as you can imagine with only 4 table is was full, we then asked if we could take a drink back to our room only to be told that you can't take drinks out of the lounge. For me one of the main points of booking a club room was so we could go somewhere quiet for a drink before going out for our meal however this was far from the case not only was it full it was also full of children running around and screaming at each other!!! We did try again at 7pm and it was still full and then again at around 7.30 when we eventually got in. I did complain to the hotel on both counts and was told that all rooms are of the same standard (strange when the literature suggests a different thing and the reason for the lounge being so busy was they has a 200 people dinner dance on and the hotel was busy - I suggest this is not my problem if the hotel offers this service then it should be large enough to cope with at least 50% of guests using it as any one time the did refund half of the upgrade cost however by that point it had already wasted our stay.)

The location of the hotel is really good for the SECC and doesn't cost much in a taxi to get into the city centre - however after my last stay I won't be back.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pammy0
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2008

Thanks for you review which I already had the opportunity of discussing with the Duty Manager you spoke to during your stay. I am sorry if the Club Lounge was so busy during your stay and acknowledge your point about not enough room should all guests want to use the facility at the same time.I am sorry if there were children running around and screaming at the time and that the hostess did not bring this to the attention of their parents. All rooms were fully refurbished in 2006 and our club rooms have a completely different scheme and include various extras some of which you highlighted.
Iam genuinely sorry if you were disappointed. Dominic McVey

Reviewed February 1, 2008

This hotel is a good standard 'corporate' facility, my main beef is that the website gives no indication that it is entirely non-smoking, including all bedrooms. Room availability sometimes states that rooms are non-smoking, others come up with a 'no preference' symbol next to them and in my naivety I had assumed these are smoking rooms, particularly as the website asks the booker to state a preference for smoking or non-smoking accommodation.

If you are non-smoking hotel, fine - but tell me in advance and I will book elsewhere.

Also, watch out for the 'breakfast included' rates. When I booked (two rooms, each with single adult occupancy) I could have had the rooms only for £89.00 each, with breakfast this rose to £109.00. On arrival, there is a sign on the front desk offering upgrades to include breakfast for £10.00 per person. The receptionist seemed a bit nonplussed when I objected to paying £40.00 for breakfast for two persons but after disappearing into the back shop, did agree to regrade us to room only + £20.00 for the breakfasts.
The hotel also charges £5 for resident parking, another pet peeve of mine and a growing trend in the hospitality industry. I am further concerned that for this particular venue, it may sometimes be impossible to find parking there, as their car park also allows non residents to park there - I can imagine that this might be problematic when there is a big event on at the SECC next door - having spent the best part of an hour getting out of the SECC car parks post event, I can imagine that there must be seasoned attenders who might think it quicker to use the hotel car park for a more speedy escape. Otherwise, rooms are fine, some nice touches such as bathrobes and a couple of free bottles of mineral water, but not exactly cutting edge for a hotel in this price bracket. Breakfast (on a Sunday morning) was a bit chaotic, a self service buffet, but the chef managing the stand seemed to wait until items had actually run out before going for replenishments, so lots of hold ups while people hung on at the front of the queue for a slice of bacon, or an egg to arrive. The 'continental' option is a joke - half a dozen slices of cold meat and a selection of small cheese portions which included such continental classics as Philadelphia, the Laughing Cow and Babybels - the sort of '5 for £1' cubes that supermarkets sell. Room service, as usual, is a rip off - £7.95 for an egg and cress sandwich + £2.00 more to deliver it, but this hotel is hardly alone in that respect. All in all, I won't be back because of the smoking policy, but excellent location for the SECC and a reasonable standard overall for the price.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank mawreece
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2008

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you were not aware of our non smoking policy which is clearly stated on the description section of our website.It has proven to be a popular decision by smokers and non smokers alike. Re the confusion over the breakfast supplements, my reception manager has taken this on board. The car park has 250 spaces and does get busy at times, particularly when there is a major concert or match on. To date, we have not had much of an issue with this , but as with all constructive criticism, your views are appreciated. Similarly, we will look into our bar and breakfast offerings. DMcVey

Reviewed January 15, 2008

We have been to to the Crowne Plaza for the last two years on New Years Eve, and have thoroughly enjoyed both events. The rooms are well equiped, and very comfortable.

Yes the lifts can be frustrating, but a little patience helps especially when it is so busy.

The same applies with the bar area, but the staff are very friendly, despite being extremely busy.

In respect of the function itself, we were spoiled in the first year, with a fantastic event and you couldn't fault anything. The manager even gave us a bottle of champagne as it was our wedding anniversary. The 2nd year, was not quite up to the same standard, and it was unfortunate that the power tripped at midnight, but it was outside the hotels control and we would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to have a good time.

2  Thank Wood7
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2008

Hello again,

Thankyou very much for your review. I am pleased you came back to visit us again and hope that we will see you this Hogmanay which we have already started planning so your feedback is particularly helpful.

Keep in touch.

Reviewed January 13, 2008

We had an excellent stay at the CP Glasgow. Although we only stayed one night we found all the staff friendly and helpful. The room was clean and very well equipped and there was a very good selection for breakfast. Although its a short taxi ride to the City Centre (there is also a bus stop very close), the location is superb right next to the river.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mkgz
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2008

Pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you will come back and visit.
Thanks for staying with us.

Reviewed December 29, 2007

Haved stayed at this hotel five times in the last year eachtime using my priority points..every time upgraded without asking...everytime room is ready, clean and without any issues...club lounge always fully stocked, someone on hand to answer any queries and a good selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks...always eat in the restuarant and the carvery is great value and choice.

I stay with the holiday inn brand at least 100 nights per year and often visit the same hotel every week but they seem to fail to get that consistency right and perhaps need to take a leaf out of the way the manger views and responds to every comment good or bad on this site...

I'll definetly stay again and I'm sure it will be to its usual high standard.

1  Thank PMACCA
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2007

I am pleased that you enjoy staying with us on a regular basis. You are quite correct that consistency is very important however we still continually review all aspects of our operation, and update or tweak certain standards in an effort to ensure we address our customers needs.

Please ask for me next time you're staying.

Happy new year.

Reviewed December 22, 2007

We stayed using our Priority points. Had to pay for breakfast as an extra for £10 per head which was fine. On the 14th floor- would have been nice to have been offered an upgrade or use of club lounge as a priority club holder- but maybe it was too busy. Bar staff were excellent- very pleasant. Breakfast was great- good range. Bed was comfy. Something wrong with air con in the room-loose dial but fixed immediately. Covered walkway as others mention to the SECC and also to the car park. Range of restaurants within walking distance- the Yen Rotunda is good. Small quibble- housekeeping...hair on the toilet seat cover, in the bathtub and surrounding the tub- overall, the bathroom was clean -so can only summaise that it is the hair of the room cleaner- still not a welcome sight. Must compliment the manager for taking the time to always respond- hallmark of good management. I have contributed to Tripadvisor for years and travelled on business around the world- I think this manager is the first I have seen who consistently puts in a response. Well done! Hope his senior managers acknowledge his attention to duty!

1  Thank ScottishPrincess
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2007

Thanks for your kind comments, but sorry about the bathroom. The housekeeping team are on the case already.

I do hope you come back sometime. Let me know if you do book and we'll see if its possible to ensure you get to experience our Club floors.

Happy Christmas.

Reviewed December 19, 2007

I stayed here in July for 4 nights. This was the second occasion I had stopped here.
Whilst not in the city centre, the hotel is in a great location on the banks of the Clyde, close to the SECC, the Science Centre & IMAX cinema. There are also good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.
It is possible to walk into the city centre from the hotel, it only takes about 15 mins.
The hotel is also ideally located for visits to Loch Lomond & the Trossachs.
I had an excellent room & lovely bathroom with plenty of large fluffy towels. Chocolates were placed on the pillows every evening which was a nice touch. There were also 2 free bottles of mineral water supplied every day.
The reception, cleaning and dining room staff were all friendly & helpful even when it was very busy.
The breakfast buffet was excellent with everything you could want.
I used the gym which was ok but very small. There wasn't much floor space for exercise or stretching. There is also a small pool.
My only complaint about the hotel is that I was charged £5 a day for parking, that amounted to an extra £20 on my bill. I had booked the room on business/government rate & I expected the parking to be free as I'm a BAE Systems employee. I understood that parking would be free for me but I was still charged £20. If the management reads this a refund would be nice !
Apart from that it was a great stay & I highly recommend the hotel. I shall definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vick2
DJMcVEY, general manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2007

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. Its true to say, we do get many good comments about our location particularly as we are still so close to the city centre and still within easy reach of Loch Lomond etc

I hope you will come back to stay sometime. Please do get in contact so as I may answer your query about the carparking personally.