“Must Surely Take the Crown”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Just spent one night in this sumptious well appointed hotel. Room 1002 has an amazing view down the Rover Clyde with a Puffa boat and Waverley moored across the river. NHS Helicopters are sited just beyond the hotel and are fun to watch if not a little noisey.Breakfast was the Full Scottish and should see you through the day. The viewing lift going up to 12th floor is worth a ride.Car parking at £5 for the day must be a bargain and taxis are reaily available at the front door.

Room Tip: I suspect even numbered rooms get the River views but I may be wrong. Great reminders of the Ship...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you for your review and I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay in the hotel. Hope you will return again very soon.

Regards
Dominic McVey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,423)

Reviewed May 13, 2012

This was our third or fourth stay at this hotel and unfortunately there's always something relatively minor that mars an otherwise good experience. I agree with previous reviewers about the air con - very noisy even on the lowest setting - and unfortunately our room on the ninth floor is desperately in need of a refurb, especially the bathroom which was extremely tired and grubby, in particular around the top of the bath where the sealant/grout is either missing or black.
Food and service in the bar was ok and we didn't bother with breakfast as we were on an early train, but we agree with previous comments about the staff being professional and efficient but unfriendly. When I mentioned my thoughts on the room etc, and handed over the various feedback forms (which I always complete, good or bad), the receptionist couldn't have been less concerned and I doubt my forms have been read by anyone. I certainly havn't had a response ten days later, despite giving all my contact details. They also managed to get my Priority Club points wrong and I am still awaiting a response from the "service centre"!
Would I stay there again, yes probably because apart from the air con it's quiet being in the middle of the SECC complex and the train into the city centre is only a couple of minutes' walk away, but there are better options available.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can as the ordinary rooms are tired
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rupert_allison
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Thanks for your review. As you may have noted in previous responses, there are plans for refurbishment of certain areas but in the meantime I have asked Maintenance to check all rooms on the 9th Floor as there is no excuse for the sealant to be in that state.
Please be assured, we do read each and every questionnaire we receive and take what ever corrective action is necessary. I am sorry about the points - Ihope that has now been corrected.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights as I was working at thhe convention centre. The main factor for me was how close it was to the convention centre.. it's so quick to get there. I had a nice room on one floor from the top, had a great view.. I did not like the fact I could not open a window for actuall air.. however the a/c was good. Breakfast was plentiful. Dinner in the bar was good. I went to the gym once which was a bit small I thought and machines a little cramped as almost on top of each other.. however overall not a bad stay

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your 3 day stay with us while you were working at the SECC. I am particularly pleased that you found the Airconditioning effective as we have just replaced all the Chillers and controllers in the Hotel. This is necessary as the windows do not open due to the height of the building ( 16 floors).

I hope you will come back and see us again before long.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have stayed at the Glasgow Crowne Plaza more than once and found it comfortable and efficient, with spacious rooms, nice beds and good breakfasts. The location may be convenient or not, depending on whether you need to be in an absolutely central spot for shopping and eating out or not. It is certainly convenient for the conference centre - less so for the shops and the restaurants. Charging drinks and food to your room only possible if you make sure you get reception to preauthorize your credit card and put the appropriate sticker on the bit of cardboard with the room number that I normally don't carry in case I drop it together with the key. The reason being that I'd rather people who found my room keycard don't know which room it is for. Still, if you don't tend to drop keycards or make sure you get new codes I suppose it isn't much of a safety risk. It is a procedure I have never seen at other hotels and I don't think it is charming - other hotels have all guests leave credit card details for incidentals and do not seem to be worse off for it. Apart from the slightly out of town location, the only downside to the hotel is that it has the loudest a/c in the United Kingdom and that you can't shut the system down completely. An earplugs hotel. But the bed is soft and you can dive under the pillows if needed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for your review. We do ask all guests staying in the Hotel for Credit Card authorisation should they wish to charge items onto their room account - not all guests take this route thus the stickers on the key card to enable the team to identify those who have.

I am pleased that you have stayed with us on a number of ocassions and do hope that we can welcome you bvack before long.

regards,

Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza because we were attending a concert at the SECC and the hotel seemed best located.
It is indeed very, very well-located for any concert-goer. It is litterally linked to the SECC, they have a corridor leading to the concert hall so there is actually no need to go out to enter the SECC, which is just brilliant! There was no need to worry about taking any coat, bags or anything, we just took the hotel room's key! :-)
The hotel itself is a little bit away from the centre of Glasgow, about 20 minutes' walk I would say. It seemed to us a very long distance as we came by train into Glasgow and had to walk from Glasgow Central to the hotel - but I guess taxis are available for those not keen on walking.
Once at the hotel, I thought the location was lovely actually; it is by the river Clyde, just across BBC Scotland offices and next to the SECC. It is in a very quiet part of Glasgow and should you walk to the center, there is a river walk, which is quite nice.
We were allocated a room on the 14th floor. We took the see-through lift to our floor, which was quite cool as you have a great view onto the river, the SECC and Glasgow in general - people with vertigo beware though! ;-)
The room was lovely and spacious and we had a lovely view. Since we were so high, we had no problem with any noise coming from the streets! All conveniences in the room: tea & coffee making facilities, water, fridge, flat screen TV. The only negative thing about the room is that there was no way of opening the window, but I guess it is a security thing being so high...
On the night of our arrival, we had dinner at the bar of the hotel. The design of the bar is quite cool, and the menu, while not extensive, was very satisfying. We were a bit disappointed by the service though, waiters were going back and forth from the restaurant to the bar and we had to wait a bit before our order was taken, and served. But I guess the hotel was understaffed that night, and the waiters did their best.
On the morning after, we arrived for breakfast around 9.30am, and though they were very busy - and the breakfats room was kinda small for such a big hotel - we were sat very promply. The breakfast menu was very good and really impressive as there was a lot of choice: fresh fruit, Scottish breakfats (potato farls! :-)), a lot of different types of cereals, juices, yoghurts...
Overall we had a nice stay, my only negative was that the staff was a bit too professional and di not engage much with us.

Room Tip: For anyone who is afraid of heights, or who has vertigo, maybe requesting a 1st or 2nd floor is best...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for posting such a comprehensive review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much with us. With trgards to Taxis, we are also fortunate to have a rank at the front door and a trip into George Square would cost about £5. Alternatively there is the train from the SECC - Only 2 stops into Glasgow Central.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Stayed here with work. This hotel is located next to the SECC. The room I stayed in was on executive floor with access to the Executive Lounge. The room was very nice, fitted to a high specification and well equipped with good views over the river Clyde. It had good toiletries and bath robes. Being used to Hilton Executive lounges I was a little disappointed with the selection of evening drinks and snacks and there were not hot items on the lounge breakfast.
It’s quite a long walk to the hotel from the city centre especially with luggage and the only entrance I could find was on the opposite side from when you approach from the city / SECC - some better signage would help. Next time I would use a taxi or drive. Overall I had a very good night’s sleep - the bedding is of very high standard.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Thankyou for posting a review following your stay last December. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room comfortable. We have reviewed the offering in our Club Lounge since you stayed in an effort to offer more variety.

dominic McVey

Reviewed May 7, 2012

My partner and I booked an afternoon tea, bed and breakfast offer through a voucher site. The afternoon tea was very good. The room was very clean and the bed was biggest we had slept in.The breakfast was 1st class. Plenty choice and the hot buffet was cooked very well. We paid a discounted rate which was very reasonable. I wouldnt pay the going rate though.

One big down point however. The windows in the rooms dont open.The room was very hot. There is air conditioning but when switched on its very noisy and our sleep was badly disturbed by it.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the lift. Its noisy till late at night.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We get many good comments about the standard of food and service and you will always find the best rates available on our website. I hope you will come back and stay again with us soon,