“Very nice hotel but with rude staff”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The hotel itself is beautiful. The rooms are lovely and breakfasts are brilliant. But the reception staff I found to be very rude and impatient.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank kmac710
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Thanks for posting a review and the maximum scores. I was sorry to read your comment about the reception staff but will discuss with the team.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

Have actually stayed here a few times now and it is my favourite hotel in Glasgow. Right on the banks of the River Clyde and particularly lovely at night time when everything is lit up! Stayed on Sunday night with my mum for the Dolly Parton concert, which was fab, very handy as hotel has access direct into SECC. Our room was on 7th floor looking North - which is my preferred view - it was beautifully decorated and the beds were extremely comfortable, made all the more so by the lovely light duvet and firm pillows. Had a lovely swim in the pool and used the sauna and jacuzzi as well before breakfast (towels provided), which is always a delight as there is so much choice. As usual ate far too much! Car Parking is relatively good value at £6.00 per day and on checkout the receptionist said it would be ok to leave the car in the car park while we did the sight seeing tour of Glasgow on the open topped bus, which stops just round the corner at the SECC. Half the bar was closed during our stay for refurbishment but the Hotel phoned and left a message on my phone to let me know. This didnt hamper our enjoyment of our stay at all, just meant the bar was VERY busy before the concert! Have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful so no complaints on that front.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing North for fab views of the River Clyde
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

What a great review. Thankyou so much. I am pleased that the refurbishment works did not inconvenience you at all. Thanks for your kind words about the team. They really appreciate it when one takes the time and trouble to say thanks.

Regards,

Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel is set alongside the waterfront at the border of the city center. When you look at the hotel from the outside it looks like a modern hotel, but once you enter into the lobby you can see this hotel is really in bad shape. It carries the age it has with difficulty and is badly in need of refurbishing. This is what is going on for the moment: major refurbishing of the lobby. We took a room on the clublevel ( 16th floor). The room looked slightly better that the rest of the hotel, but getting into the bathroom you can see that this is an old hotel. The clublevel offers a small lounge where you can enjoy a drink and a (modest) buffet breakfast. Not a bad solution if you've got little time. So, all in all, we think this a hotel in which IHC group needs to invest more, otherwise try to find a better htoel in Glasgow !

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for posting a review following your stay in August. As you quite correctly state the hotel was undergoing a major refurbishment during your stay which I am pleased to report is now finished and the results have been really well received from our guests.

I do hope that if you are ever in Glasgow again , you do consider staying with us again.

Regards,

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed for 1 night at the Crowne Plaza. We were going to a concert at the SECC so it was very handy to get there as the SECC and the hotel are adjoined by a walkway. This was a great bonus as there was not far to walk. On checking in we were given a room upgrade as we were selected due to being priority members. Needless to say we were delighted by this. The hotel, room, bar and restaurant were excellent and we would definately return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Thanks for posting a review following your stay. As you quite correctly state, the Hotel is ideal if you are attending a concert at the SECC particularly as we have a direct link by an internal corridor.

I hope you will come and stay again soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed here with my partner for her 21st birthday. The check in staff were very attentive and welcoming and were more than happy to advise on local resturants and attractions. I mentioned that it was my partners birthday and that i had forgotten to order chocolates and champagne to be ordered to our room. The receptionist was more than happy to arrange this for me and did so at no extra cost. It was a lovely surprise for my partner to have it delivered to our room just as we were settling in.
The hotel is not as close to the centre as others but a 5/10 minute taxi journey and you are in the centre. We walked back along the river in the evening and it did not feel like it was a long way as it is such a lovely area.
The room itself was lovely, big and spotless. The bed was also extremely comfortable. We also thought it was very well sound proofed as we heard nothing while in the room. The air conditioning was very good too and not noisy at all.

The breakfast was excellent and included everything and more than we expected.

We cannot wait to stay here again, we hope to be back very soon!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thanks for a great review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. A belated happy birthday to your partner. I am glad the Fizz was appreciated !

Reviewed August 21, 2011

The hotel was undergoing refurbishment when I stayed here recently with my partner. I can understand the need for periodic updates and I'm fine with that. My issue was with other factors...
On arrival I walked up to the reception desk and was greeted by a grumpy looking girl who simply asked for my name. No welcome; nothing. I felt a little disturbed by it and when a smile finally appeared I found it cynical and off-putting. Not a good start but I was willing to accept staff can be under a lot of pressure at busy times.
The room was fairly spacious with a comfortable bed. In the £235 (yes, twice the price most folks pay!) club king room we had, there was a "sleep set" of aromatherapy pillow spray and breathe easy roll-on oil which sounds great. There is also a leaflet telling us all about how sleep is important. Unfortunately, these sleep aids are useless when the room temperature is hot enough to keep crocodiles and the windows do not open. We were in a sealed box with the air con on lowest setting and it was still unbearable. We slept very poorly on top of the covers. I don't get ill very often and I don't complain often but I'm writing this the day after my stay and I'm still feeling the effects of that room with a dry throat and stuffy dry nose. If someone from Crowne Plaza ever reads this - please wake up and do something about the madness hoteliers seem to have about not allowing people access to fresh air. If the air con doesn't work properly, it creates a hellishly bad atmosphere from which there is no escape. And to get around the argument that it wastes energy if the air con is on while the window is open, why don't you design a system that switches it off if the window opens? Is it really that difficult? There was also some complementary fruit on the table covered in cling film but this had also succumbed to the heat and was covered in green mould. It wasn't exactly edible.
So after a very uncomfortable night we left the room and got instant relief in the corridor - we could breathe again! We went down for breakfast but the girl couldn't find us a table for 2, even though there were lots of fours available we had to wait a few minutes for a 2 to become free. Then once we were seated no one came back to ask us if we wanted tea or coffee so we had to ask for that as well 10 minutes after being seated. The food was adequate but the service was absolutely atrocious. The indifference of the staff was quite incredible.
The icing on the cake was when our parking token wouldn't open the barrier even though we'd paid the £6 all night hotel rate. I had to return to reception and they had to issue me with another card. Again, the staff dealt with the situation badly and made me feel like I had done something wrong.
Incidentally, two friends also had a similar room, and had a similar experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Thanks for your feedback following your stay with us. I have discussed your comments with both the Reception Manager and the Restaurant Manager about the poor levels of service that you encountered and I can assure you that corrective actions have already been taken. I am particularly concerned about the Air Conditioning issue as we have just replaced all our chillers. I will ensure we find out what the story is in the rooms you were allocated and get it sorted.

I am pleased to report that refurbishment you mentioned is now complete. I hope that if you do visit Glasgow in the future you will not be deterred from staying with us. I am confident that you will notice a vast improvement.

Rgards

Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one night in May. I found the hotel to be spotless and the staff friendly and courteous. The meals we had there were supurb and plentiful. The room was quiet and spaceous. Soon after we arrived there was a fire alarm and we had to evacuate the hotel. It turned out to be a false alarm but it was comforting to know our safety was paramount. If I had to find a complaint about the hotel it would be that as a physically fit person I always prefer to take the stairs but stair access was not easy and I don't think we were actually supposed to use the stairways.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

Thankyou very much for your kind comments following your stay . I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and hope that you come and stay with us again soon.

Regrds