“Great location but needs attention”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #70 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Amesbury, United Kingdom
“Great location but needs attention”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel has a great position in the centre of Glasgow and the exterior/reception area is very smart and typical Mercure. The hotel has car parking but I didnt manage to find it and the hotel needs signs outside or details on the reservation email to make it clearer.

My room was quite small by Mercure standards and it definitely needed a facelift. The bed was rather lumpy and didnt give me a good nights sleep. The hotel has different Wifi rates but the free rate was ok for emails.

The breakfast was disappointing - why do so many hotels spoil breakfast with a buffet! I was the first person down for breakfast but the bacon was already dry & just warm as were the potatoes and eggs and where was the haggis or black pudding? The food seemed of good quality so why ruin it by leaving it to spoil!

1 Thank John_The_Miner
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the hotel.

I shall pass on your comments regarding the car park to the eCommerce team who will be able to investigate the possibility of adding directions onto the reservation. The website currently has the facility to access and download the directions on a portable document format for printing, smartphone or other portable device. Unfortunately, the hotel location prevents the addition of any external signage as this requires permission from the local council and there are several ways to approach the hotel.

I am sorry for the shortcomings you experienced, particularly with regards to breakfast. I have passed your comments to the appropriate teams for immediate redress.

Thanks again for your comments, I hope that you will decide to stay with us again in the future.

Monica Docherty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I held a weekend event here for a number of delegates. The value was excellent for a city center hotel, close to all the amenities. Although the hotel itself is a little dated the rooms are comfortable enough. The staff were the real bonus for this hotel, friendly, helpful and able.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the alley that runs down the side of this hotel. It can be very noisy when t...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that your event was a success.

Thank you for your comments on the staff, I will ensure I share your feedback with the team.

Thanks again

Aberdeen
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My initial impression of the room was just how small, shabby and hot it was. The window was open but all that did was let in the load buzzing of the air con outlet which is one of my absolute pet hates!!
The bathroom was quite shabby and tired too but overall it had everything we needed, the bed was comfy and everything worked.
I had a pretty bad nights sleep due to the noise outside and in, I'm not sure if it was just air con but it was a constant loud electrical noise all night, like a fan or something and although the window was shut to try and help it just made the room really hot.

It's a shame as the location can not be faulted, it's so prefect being right in the city centre and the staff we encountered were very helpful and pleasant. Also the parking is a bonus too and I don't really mind the charge either as we always travel by car.

Basically as a couple looking for a nice weekend away the basic double didn't really suit but I'd probably stay here again if I were on a big night out simply for the location and I'd just hope that the alcohol would send me off into a drunken coma so that the noise didn't bother me. I only paid £60 too so what more could you expect.
Also there are better rooms that you can up grade too so maybe these would be a lot better.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet your expectations and that you didn't enjoy your stay.
The building is of an older design which means that the room sizes can vary. Noise is a very emotive issue and I am sorry if your stay was spoiled by this. I am unsure what would be causing an electrical noise and will ask the hotel maintenance to look into this.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure properties in the future.

Yours sincerely

Erskine, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Service and attention to detail by all staff was exemplory, courtious and friendly.
This was a deul celebration for primary need of attending a wedding at a city centre venue and a belatent anniversary celebration..
I thought the attention and outstandingly good manners of the gentleman who served our meal were exemplory and worthy of specific mention and he is a merit to your organisation. This was our second visit and will not be our last.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. I will be sure to share this with the rest of the team.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotels location is superb for any visitor that hasnt been to glasgow this would be perfect as its right next to train stations, shops and much more. The rooms are small but clean and come with everything you need including a kettle, phones, tv and iron and iron board. There is a 24 hour bar which gives excelent service and will deliver to your room for a small charge. Free room wifi. We booked a double room and were very surprised how quiet the rooms are and how comfortable the bed is. Bathroom was good but shower was a bit low considering im 5-5 I think a tall person may find it harder to stand and shower. Excelent hotel and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will ensure I share this with the rest of the team.

Thanks again

Dufftown, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a city centre hotel. Fine for a night.

The rooms are ok. The usual TV, tea//coffee and bathroom. Nothing special. The bathroom needed the skirting boards cleaning as they were very grubby. The room was clean and the bed comfortable.

The food is adequate. Fine if you are staying there and don't want to eat out. I had a pasta dish which was tasty. The cheese selection was expensive for what it was and there were no grapes.

The breakfast was fine. The usual cooked selection. I asked for two poached eggs and hey were fine.

The service in the hotel was good. The staff were very polite and the man serving food in the evening was very good and deserves a mention.

I would stay again for business as it is centrally located and handy; but next time I will eat out for my revenging meal as there are plenty of good value restaurants near by.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back as the front ones over look a main street.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the hotel.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback especially concerning the staff and I will share this with the rest of the team.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here with the group Unite The Union. I really enjoyed my stay overall. The staff were pleasant (bar one man on reception on night of arrival whom i found very unhelpful and at times rude!) I was not the only person to comment on his attitude... It was a little off-putting! However, I arrived a little later on due to traveling from Dumfries & Galloway, my table of 12 for dinner kindly awaited my arrival as did the chefs and waiter! I found this quite endearing as I know how hotel shift can be long! My room was clean and equipped with all relevant necessities (although I found the shower rather poor!) the bed was very comfy! Your meeting room facilities were extremely good as was the lunch provided on both days! Fresh and filling and couldn’t have asked for a better variety! Breakfast also had an extensive choice which I was over the moon with as breakfast is by far the best part of the day! Come the evening we used the downstairs facility as we had a dinner dance! The cocktails were excellent! I think I tried everyone available on the night! I also like the fact as to how close the hotel is to George square, thus being pretty central to the City and its stores.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the facilities agreeable.

I do hope that you will decide to stay with us again, should you be in the area.