“Great location,great hotel!”

Ranked #70 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Falkirk, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great location,great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a great little hotel,close to the best shopping and eating areas of Glasgow.
Only a 5/10 minute walk from both main railway stations
We only stayed 1 night as we were attending a concert at the famous Barrowlands venue, only 15 mins walk through the buzzing Merchant City area.
We are now looking for another reason to visit The Mercure again! The room was a good size with a massive and extremely comfortable bed. The bathroom was modern and very clean ( which is the 1st thing I check!) Breakfast was great with a large choice from the buffet and menu.All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful.
I'd recommend staying here to any visitor to the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your great review about your stay with us at Mercure Glasgow City.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found everything you needed.

I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

Monica Docherty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

The location is excellent for train stations, pubs, restaurants and shopping. Breakfast was very good with excellent service. Reception staff were helpful and friendly. Only complaint was to do with the room size. Was very small and had to move furniture the one chair to another place in the room. There wasn't anywhere to store our case in the room. At least one drawer in the room would have been appreciated. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback on you stay with us at Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel is of an older design and as such the room sizes can vary, I hope that this did not detract from your stay.

I hope that you will decide to stay with us again in the future.

Thanks again

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were staying overnight in Glasgow for my partners birthday night out, one night only.

The location of this hotel is fantastic, and the room looked great when we arrived, small but had everything we needed. On returning from dinner though, our room was stiflingly hot, and with no air conditioning and no way to control the radiators we could only open the windows a crack which didn't help and only accentuated the noise from outside- try to get a room at the back if you can, it was a Friday night but even so it was really noisy into the early morning.

In addition, the bed was very uncomfortable and as a result, we slept terribly. On checking out we told the staff this, but did not receive an apology or any kind of compensation. They just explained that they had the heating up high as it was cold that night.

Such a shame as it was a convenient place to stay, but we definitely won't be going back next time we are in Glasgow.

Room Tip: Don't have a room at the front as it was very noisy, even for a weekend.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and feedback about your stay.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have air conditioning, the windows do have safety catches which stop the window opening fully initially, however, these can be released which allows the window to open fully. The heating is activated centrally, however, the radiators in the rooms can be controlled with the thermostatic control on each heater.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, and I am disappointed that you will not return to the hotel in the future. I hope that your experience has not put you off booking other Mercure hotels in the future.

Yours sincerely

Monica Docherty

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I'll echo the review by Lisa K. My hotel evacuation was two nights later at 12.30 at night, again no explanation.
The hotel is in a great location, the reception is efficient with friendly staff but the rooms leave a lot to be desired.
Mould on my windows, heating erratic, hot-ish water only after running the shower for ten minutes, wifi doesn't reach the rooms and if you're near the front the constant drone of the two small lifts will keep you awake.
It's not the worst but I won't be back.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and comments regarding your stay.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. From time to time, situations will arise which causes the fire alarm to activate, the hotel has set procedures which must be actioned upon any activation of the fire alarm, whether false or not. The fire brigade will attend to site and give the all clear at which point, it will be deemed safe to re enter the building. I am sorry if it was not made entirely clear, however, we are happy to answer any queries that any guests have as a result of fire alarm activations.

We are working on a project to bring WiFi to all guest bedrooms, I am hoping that this will be going live soon. Unfortunately it has been delayed. In the mean time, free WiFi is provided in the lounge and there is internet available through the in room services.

I am sorry to hear that you won't return to the Mercure Glasgow City, I hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure hotels in the future.

Your sincerely

scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I would like to say that the staff at this hotel are extremely friendly and very welcoming but it is just a shame this is let down by the rooms. I stayed at this hotel 4 years ago when it was under a different name and although the rooms were small I had no complaints with cleanliness. This time however was different. Our room smelled of dampness hence the reason the window was left open and the bathroom was not cleaned to a high standard. The overflow on the bath was filthy, skirtings grubby and dusty . The bedroom area was fine and bed linen spotless but fittings are tired and in need of refurbishment. Yes the rooms are small but fine for an overnight shopping trip. The location is excellent. Food was good but not the best breakfast I have had in a hotel. I asked for a room at the rear of the hotel and noise levels were much less than on our previous visit. Had I paid full price £141.00 for this room I would definitely have complained but since we got a good late deal of £30 room only I made do with what we were allocated.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City.

I am sorry for the issues you encountered with cleanliness. Poor standards of housekeeping are not acceptable and I have passed on your comments to the head housekeeper to ensure re training of the team.

It is a shame that we were unable to redeem ourselves at the time of your stay. I hope that these issues have not permanently marred your opinion of us and that you will book to stay at other Mercure hotels in the future.

Yours sincerely

Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Visited the Mercure Hotel for a weekend away with my boyfriend, first impressions of the hotel were great, in a great location and the hotel reception staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The room we stayed in was clean and fine but for the price we paid we expected better accomodation! All in all I would stay again if the price was right! I wouldn't pay £100 to stop here again however that did include breakfast which was delicious!!! Good points - right by Merchant City (Nice bars & restaurants) and in walking distance to the central railway station and the shops! Bad points - value for money!

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review and feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.
I was pleased that you were able to take advantage of the hotel's ideal location and that you enjoyed your breakfast.
I am sorry that you felt the hotel did not represent value for money, I do hope that this has not put you off booking again in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had a one night stay for Valentines day but we had to stand outside for a while when the fire alarm went off at 11.30pm and we weren't given any explaination by staff why.
The room was very noisy because of high traffic outside. Our room (Room 105) must have been located underneath a boiler because there were continuous loud banging noises throughout the night which kept waking the 2 of us up and it was very hot with no air conditioning- just a window which let in heavy street noise.
The bathroom was very chipped and shabby looking and there was no plug in the sink- just a huge hole with no drain cover.
If you plan on watching TV there is an odd selection of channels available (e4+1 but no e4, itv2+1 but no itv2 etc)
The staff were nice and efficient but I would never stay here again- probably the worst nights sleep of my life.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room- not room 105.
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback regarding your stay.

All of the bedrooms are on a preventative maintenance schedule which deals with maintenance issues as they appear, I have asked the maintenance engineer to revisit this room to address the issues you have reported. I am sorry that these issues were not dealt with prior to your arrival.

The hotel is fully non smoking, regrettably, not all guests adhere to this rule and a guest smoking in a bedroom caused the alarm to activate during your stay. I am sorry for this, and I thank you for your co-operation in evacuating the hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy you stay, I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure hotels in the future.