“Good short stay”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #72 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here overnight. Got the room from lastminute.com for £30pn. Had a basic double room to myself, inward room with no real view to talk about. Although where the hotel is, I don't think there is anything to get a view of.

Facilities are good. Free WiFi in main reception/lounge area but not in my room? Room supplied with box of tissues, combination shampoo/conditioner and body wash and small bar soap. Iron and ironing board in room with trouser press. Tea, coffee tray supplied but no bottles of water to make it. So I guess they think you should take water from bathroom?

Great Tresemme hair dryer with styling nozzle. The only hotel I have come across where it's not attached to the wall, so you can plug it in anywhere, plus it has a long cord. TV with good selection of channels.

Room size is ok, little bit on the small side esp the space around the bed. Bathroom is a good size and is a bath/shower combi. There is a small single wardrobe for storage. Room was lovely and warm and bed I found comfortable.

Reception staff were very nice and I had an easy check in/check out. Unfortunately due to time constraints, I did not have time to have breakfast or try any in-house food drink.

Absolutely great location for shops, train and bus stations.

So why did I not give 5/5? It's easy to notice people passing your room, you can clearly hear conversations if TV is not on. Guests who let the door slam when leaving the room can be heard. I think this is due to a lot of the room doors having gaps at the bottom of the door? Little bit of mould on tiles in bathroom, which can easily be removed?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Amia_C
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing your experiences.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
We are currently working on a project which will replace all the bedroom doors in order to improve the sound proofing from the corridor. I am hopeful that this work will commence very soon. I will ensure I pass your comments on to housekeeping also to ensure that they are giving cleanliness all due care and attention.

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night on the 12th January 2013. Here's my thoughts:
Location - in the heart of merchant city. Perfect for pubs, restaurants and clubs. Also great for shopping. Location is great.
Rooms - ours was on the small side but clean and bathroom was a good size. All in all a good room but could have been a wee bit bigger.
Staff - this is where this hotel really shines - Jennifer checked us in and was really pleasant, chatty and funny. So much so that we booked breakfast there and then - something we don't normally do in case of hangovers! In the morning we went down for breakfast and was greeted with a cheery and lovely good morning from Margaret no 1. We say down and Margaret no 2 brought us tea and a mountain of toast! You can have the usual fry up buffet style (which we did) and you can also order from the menu with things like eggs benedict, kippers, poached haddock etc. food was really nice and nothing was too much trouble. We were well looked after which was such a nice change for hotel staff to be so attentive.

All in all we had a great time at this hotel and would recommend the Mercure to anyone looking to stay in Glasgow at a good cost. It's the only hotel we'll be booking on our next visit!

• Stayed: January 2013
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.
I was very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the team.

Thank you once again, and I hope that we have the pleasure of looking after you again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 13, 2013

me and my partner booked a standard double room for 1 night which was saturday 12th january 2013, on arrival there were no parking left but was quickly given another option at a discounted rate, near the hotel. the staff at reception couldnt have been anymore helpful and knowledgable, very polite and friendly. room 203 was very compact but had everthing we needed to go on a night out! as it was my birthday a member of staff knocked on our door and kindly gave us a tray with big balloon, cupcakes with candles, party blowers and other fun stuff. this was out the blue and was very thoughtful of them. it cheered me up on my birthday. check out was 12 noon but we had a late night and over slept (oops!) untill 2pm. the reception staff did not try and wake us and very kindly did not charge us extra :) this would have not happened in any other hotel. i felt they went that extra mile as far as customer service is concerned! i would defo go back here in a flash!! 100% to the mercure and their staff!! :) very satisfied customer!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank linnybin

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City.
I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable during your time with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and especially about the team. I will ensure your feedback is passed on.

I do hope that you enjoyed your special celebrations for your birthday.

I will look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Glasgow City the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here on 14 and 15 December. The location was good, the room was small but fine and the hotel facilities were good. We were on the second floor near the lift facing the main road and the first night was a bit loud. People were in and out of the lift but we got to sleep okay. The second night was horrendous. The hotel had a function on - a Xmas Party night event so people were in and out of rooms getting drunk, in and out of the hotel smoking and up and down in lifts. We complained and were given a full refund but I would have rather had a good night's sleep. I had to knock on someone's door at 4.20 am to tell them to keep the noise down. There were no cameras int he hotel and although I was assured that security had patrolled the hotel, there was no evidence. Some guests were evicted, there were people who weren't guests up and down the corridors. The hotel cannot be responsible for the appalling behaviour of its guests, but they should be able to ensure the comfort of other guests. Whilst there was no disagreement about giving me a refund, I was told it was the busiest night in Glasgow of the year as it was just after payday and ten days before Xmas - it was as if we should have known not to stay there. If a hotel runs events like this it consider th comfort of those guests who don't want to participate or warn them before they stay. Some rooms were block bookings and the the badly behaved guests weren't young kids but adults who should know better

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced and your stay was spoiled by noise. I can only apologise for this, as you say, it is not always possible to control the behaviour of other guests. The team will respond to all issues reported to them and deal with such situations accordingly. I can confirm that the night team do perform regular checks along corridors and take action where appropriate. The security and safety of all guests is given paramount importance.

I do hope that your experience has not put you off booking with Mercure Hotels in the future.

Your sincerely

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Excellent staff - front-of-house and behind the scenes, in a well- priced, well located hotel.
Would stay here again.
Other hotels could learn from the helpful,professional and friendly staff in the Mercure.

• Stayed: January 2013
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review and kind comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 2, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Reviewed December 28, 2012

we booked the Mercure for our Christmas dinner and work night out. It was fantastic. The food was brilliant and the night was great. The hotel supplied great props on our table, sparkley bowler hats, boas, blingbling ring etc. The staff were brilliant always offering to help take photos etc. It was a glass of bubbly on arrival before dinner was served a disco followed the dinner and the mix of music was perfect. The cost was reasonable at £37 per head inc. glass of bubbly. We bought sparkling house wine by the biottle at £22 which at Christams time was very reasonable. The staff in the 24hr bar upstair even call you a taxi at the end of the night
All in all a great time was had by all of us
thanks - we will be booking agian

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank alifleet
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review and feedback about your Christmas night out.
I was so pleased that you and your party had a nice time and enjoyed your party. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and i will be sure to pass your comments on to the team.

I will look forward to seeing you in 2013 during the party season!