“Mercure gets thumbs up from me!”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #73 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights (8th and 9th November) with my partner as part of our anniversary weekend away. I feel the mediocre reviews are a little unfair and am guessing people just like a good moan. Staff were friendly, polite and well-presented upon check-in and check-out. Our room was a double en-suite on the 4th floor and was very comfortable with a top notch en-suite. True, the rooms aren't huge but they are more than adequate and very well kept! There was ample room to maneuver round the bed and plenty of space for luggage. For a city centre building I'm not exactly sure what size of rooms some people are expecting and to be honest, the room had everything we needed. I don't see how extra floor space would have improved our stay!!
Location is obviously key here as hotel is pretty much in the heart of the city centre, close to merchant city, George Square, Argyle Street and Buchanan street. Pretty much perfect!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin K
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review and feedback concerning your stay with us.

I am very pleased that you were comfortable during your stay with us and found everything you needed within the rooms. The hotel is of an older design and not a modern new build. With this in mind the room sizes can vary as the floor plan is not generic.

I do hope that you enjoyed your weekend and were able to celebrate your anniversary. I will look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Glasgow City hotel in the future.

Thanks again

Monica Docherty

Write a ReviewReviews (1,079)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Not much to add to the previous comments. The location is great but I found this hotel very disappointing after staying in other Mercures. Very small rooms, tired decor and noise from everywhere - the lifts, other rooms, the corridors and outside. The staff however, were really good, they all made a real effort and did improve the experience slightly for me.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and feedback.

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet your expectations.
We are currently working on several projects which will hopefully work toward reducing noise issues affecting the hotel. Noise is a very emotive issue and I am sorry that your stay was affected by this.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking with other Mercure properties in the future.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

great location,friendly staff...value for money......quality of food and portion price needs to get sorted though!....The nearby Merchant area is wonderful for cafes/shops....great ant store close by!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay.

I am pleased you found the hotel well located and the staff friendly. I can only apologise for any shortcomings you experienced with the food, as your review is not specific, I cannot comment.

However, I do hope that you will stay with us again should you be returning to the area.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My partner and I stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night for a little weekend away using the tesco vouchers we had saved. We booked last minute so it was the only hotel available using the vouchers but the reviews looked ok and it was in a good location for a couple of nights out and some shopping so we booked it.
The room was very small and the bed wasn't exactly a double so not comfortable. Other than that it has all the usual essentials. When it came to getting some sleep it really wasn't great. There was no way to control the room temperature which was overheated other than opening a tiny gap in the window and even if you did manage to cool the room the noise was worse. You could hear everything going on in the rooms/corridor around you as well as whatever was going on outside. Not great waking up 7am on a Sunday morning after a night out to what sounded like bottle bins being emptied.
However it was in a very good location for shopping and our favourite bars/restaurants and the staff were very helpful throughout our stay and ensured we still got breakfast even although we were slightly late down for breakfast after we tried to get some extra sleep after waking up so much during the night. Also the breakfasts were very nice.
I think this hotel could do some upgrading of the rooms to make them more comfortable/quieter and it would be worth the money but I have stayed in basic chain hotels in decent locations for much cheaper.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay with us.

I am sorry that the room did not meet up with your expectations, the hotel is of an older design and therefore, the room sizes can vary.
The heating system does operate on a timer which switches off during the night. We can provide fans where necessary.
Currently, we are working on a project which will see bedroom doors replaced which should reduce the noise emanating from corridors and prevents doors closing loudly.

I do hope that your experience has not put you off booking with Mercure hotels in the future.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

WE had stayed here several times in the past in it's previous existence as The Ramada.
The big attraction has always been its central location just off George Square, minutes from the main railway station.
This time the attraction was an Autumn Special package deal ... with two nights' B&B and dinner on the first night for a bargain basement £129 (TOTAL!!!).
A helpful receptionist held our luggage until the room was ready and gave us keys for a double on the fourth floor overlooking the busy main street.
For some reason we had gained the impression the rooms might had been given a facelift after the take-over. But it seems we must have imagined it. Don't get me wrong the room was OK - but just OK, sorely needing freshened up.
The facilities, however, were fine ... with a nice bathroom and extra comfy king-size bed.
Breakfast was first class with a choice of either buffet-style "full Scottish" or menu choices like smoked haddock or eggs Benedict. A real bonus was the fact that the dining room seemed to be staffed by "local ladies" who not only gave service with a smile - but acted as unofficial tour guides for visiting guests with lots of tips on what to see and do!
Our "free" first-night dinner was served in the reception area lounge/diner and was surprisingly good. It was a pleasant bonus to discover our dinner allocation was £22 a head - more than enough to cover a two-course a la carte meal. Wine, however, was extortionate so we stuck to soft drinks.
Overall, a great location but could be doing with a bit of an upgrade. However at that price who could complain?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback about your stay.

Thank you for your continued support and I do hope that you will return to stay with us again.
The Love campaign runs througout the year with various offers similar to the one you booked during the autumn.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Mercure Glasgow is a great mid-range hotel, located right in the middle of the Glasgow CBD and within walking distance of a lot of attractions and major train stations/bus stations.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. No real complaints. The staff were very friendly and happy to help find our feet in Glasgow.

One minor complaint is the lack of free internet. This is becoming a standard in most hotels across the world and would like to encourage Accor/Mecure to join in. Internet is cheap these days and essential for most travellers, there's no need to gouge guests to check emails any more.

The bar downstairs is also a great choice for a quick drink and snack.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review and kind comments.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable during your time with us.

We are currently revising the internet offering / pricing strategies and are working on a new system which will possibly allow guests some free time to connect to the internet before charges apply. Hopefully, this will be up and running should you be staying with us again.
There is the free Wi-FI network which is always available in the reception and bar area.

Thanks again

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Tiny room, tiny bed - was definitely not big enough to call a double bed, overheated, noisy - Room 316 right at the back of the elevator.
Only thing really going for this hotel is that is in a good location for the shops theatre clubs and restaurants in the City Centre.
Good idea to get here early if possible if you need to take advantage of the parking - very small car park by the way.
Only thing I really like about this hotel was the REALLY DEEP bath and the nice hot strong pressure coming out of the shower.
I wouldn't stay here again if something better was available.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review and feedback about your stay.

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet your expectations. As the building is of an older design, the room sizes can vary. I can only apologise if the elevator disturbed your stay.
The hotel is ideally located for all central amenites and I was pleased you were able to take advantage of the car parking.

It is a shame that you won't be staying at the hotel again in the future. I do hope that this has not put you off booking with other Mercure properties in the future.

Kind regards