Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Novotel Glasgow Centre(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
$100
$54
$110
$92
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Glasgow City Centre(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
$58
$212
$150
  • Pool
Argyll Hotel(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
$57
$50
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
$142
$77
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
1,113 results
All reviewsgeorge squarewould stay here againrooms are smallexcellent locationqueen stshort stayreception staffbars and restaurantsbuffet styletwin roomweekend breakstayed one nightvisiting glasgowcorinthiaconcert
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Originally had a suite booked for my birthday but something went wrong with the booking and they didn't have any of those rooms for that date so we changed the booking for another weekend. To apologise the management charged us the price for a normal room but upgraded us to a suite and included breakfast in the rate. They dealt with the situation really well and did everything they could to make sure they recovered their reputation. Something I haven't experienced with many other hotels so well done to them.

On our stay we had a suite on the 1st floor. Reception staff were welcoming and very friendly. The room was located opposite the lifts and beside the door leading to the stairs so you did hear people at all hours. The room looks over the street in front and given that we were on a low floor we could hear all the drunks going by through the night and unfortunately manage of them choose to sing. Not so good.

Room is large and spacious but tired. The couch had seen better days. The paint work looked a bit drab too. We also had no way to control the temp in the room, I woke up roasting hot and could not figure out how to cool down the room at all.

Breakfast isn't worth it (glad we hadn't paid for it) and the staff there were a bit curt and distracted.

Overall, brilliant management team doing their best for guests but hotel a bit tired and in need of updating. Fantastic location for our stay though, within seconds of shops, restuarants and bars.

Room Tip: Avoid low floors for rooms facing onto street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your review and comments regarding your room and stay.

I am sorry for what must have been an irritating series of events with your stay.

I do hope that you will decide to stay at the Mercure Glasgow again, when I am confident that we will be able to provide you with a genuine and hassle free experience.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Was there for 3 nights on business. The first room was on the top floor, nice and cosy but I think they have a water tank/boiler (or I don't know what) that makes constant noise that is sleep depriving! I was awaken by the sound every 10mins throughout the night so imagine how frustrating that was! The next morning, requested for a new room and the receptionist kindly granted my request (although with a small hiccup - I was sent to someone else's room - lucky enough the guest was not there when I opened the door!). The receptionist said that the guest is not on their system (security issue no.1). I was then given another room (a lot smaller, looks tired, but I don't care as long as I can sleep). Realised the next day that the window was opened, tried to close it only to find that the lock is broken (security issue no.2). Food was so so, I wouldn't pay to eat there. On the other hand, the service was very good, friendly staff and excellent central location.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CookieMon
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

I am sorry that you had a bad experience during your stay and that the hotel was unable to meet your expectations.
The windows in the bedrooms are secondary glazing which are fitted with a restrictor which prevents the window from opening fully until the restrictor is released. We have been unable to recreate the problem with the window as above so perhaps the restrictor required resetting before the window would close.

We are currently introducing a new menu into the cafe bar restaurant area which will improve the selection offered.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We booked two rooms by booking.com and got an very good deal.When we arrived they upgraded our room to bigger one since we had infant,which was quite a delight.Also the staff was friendly and warm.The hotel was in the heart of city so we really dint have to bother about commuting options.Overall its a good hotel in a very good location.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and comments.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

This was the last stop prior to returning home after the West Highland Way walk.
We pre booked the hotel, got a great deal and was very surprised, nicely, when we arrived.
the Hotel is part of a chain I have used before and so I expected the same service. The reception staff were good and efficient. The breakfast deal was also very well worth the money, with food quality of the buffet high. The staff will even serve you at the table if you so wish!!!

The only down side is that the rooms are a little small for two single beds, even though I was travelling with my Brother. Great location within the city and easy access to rail stations.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

Thank you for your review and kind comments.
I hope you will return to Mercure Glasgow City again in the future.

Thanks again

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights at the end of May 2012.
We got a bargain deal from booking.com.

We had a very important matter to take care of the next morning. After reading through reviews that it can get very noisy, I emailed the hotel not long after I made a reservation, asking for a quieter room. The hotel responded immediately, took my request into consideration, and allocated us on the fifth floor room facing back of the building. Obviously, it wasn't an attractive view, but it didn't face the main street, which would have disturbed our sleep. Anyway, I was pleased with hotel's response even before we arrived.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by friendly receptionist who made the check-in process smooth and pain free. The room is on a smaller side - there isn't that much space to maneuver but for the price I paid, I can't really complain about this. The bathroom with a bathtub, however, is quite spacious.

The only downside is that you get free wifi in the lobby area only. For using Internet connection (Ethernet), you have to pay surcharge. Late at night, after completing my document, I asked the receptionist if she could print two-page document for me, and she asked me to send it to email address of the hotel, and told me that she would bring it up to my room and slide it down under the door. She did indeed, so that was very kind of her.

When we checked out, the same receptionist who checked us in was there, and he remembered to ask us how the meeting (the purpose of our trip) went.

Location is very very central, only minutes away from Queen St and Central Stations and main shopping areas.

Overall, the location and service made our stay really enjoyable despite the small size of the room.

Room Tip: If you need to avoid noise, ask for upper floors facing backward.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Glasgow City
We look forward to seeing you again in the future