“Perfect place for a short stay!”
Review of The Belhaven Hotel

The Belhaven Hotel
Ranked #53 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“Perfect place for a short stay!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My mum stayed in a standard single room and was delighted with the stay. Her room was small but perfectly adequate for a single adult, with a comfortable bed and all the bathroom facilities that one would require. She also felt that the staff were very mannerly and helpful.

But most of all she enjoyed the breakfast the most. Although the cut off time was quite early (last orders 08.45am) the quality of food that was made was fantastic..

All round a very competitively priced, well laid out hotel with helpful staff and a fantastic breakfast. My mum will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BalBelhaven, General Manager at The Belhaven Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing the Belhaven Hotel.

We are delighted to hear your mum had such an enjoyable stay and loved our breakfast. We offer breakfast to non-residents as well. If your mum chooses to stay with us again then please join her in our breakfast room for a hearty scottish breakfast.

Bal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was just passing through Glasgow and only needed a place for one night. The Belhaven was great for that (perhaps I could have chosen a hotel closer to the train station, but I got the bus just outside the hotel and it was quite easy). I had a single room, quite tiny and with shared bath and toilet, but I more or less had the whole floor to myself so I was alriight. I left too early to have the breakfast. The staff was really nice and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We needed somewhere to stay in Glasgow on our way up into Northern Scotland. This hotel is ideally located, just off the main road in Glasgow. While there is no dedicated parking, we did manage to find a spot relatively near the hotel. With this central location there is, inevitably, some noise from the main road. We had a room which looked out onto the front of the hotel and light sleepers might be disturbed by traffic pulling away from the traffic lights.

The staff were exceptionally friendly, particularly the night porter who let us in, manned the bar and found a local tyre place for us. The breakfasts were also great (and included in the price of the room).

The room was a nice size, and the building is a wonderful period building, decorated well in character, with modern furniture. The ensuite was built into the existing room, and had a saniflow system installed, which was a little noisy, and did seem to smell a little when used, although the automatic airfreshener was doing an excellent job of covering it. The bed was okay, although was a little hard for my taste.

Overall, this hotel was in a great location for an overnight stay at a good price and met all of our needs. However, if I was spending longer in Glasgow itself, I'd probably opt for a quieter and more homely base, a little further away from the centre.

Room Tip: Asking for a room at the back may minimise traffic noise.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Delightful small hotel in a great location, handy for the Botanic Gardens, Kelvingrove Park, Òran Mór and only a few minutes walk to Hillhead subway. Rima, Chris and the rest of the staff were always friendly and helpful. Smashing breakfasts individually cooked to order were served in a lovely room looking out on to the leafy terrace. I would recommend staying here without hesitation and intend to return on my next trip.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lochgilphead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Second time I have stayed in the Belhaven. It is a lovely hotel in a brilliant location for the West End but, as has been said already, it is a bit tired in the decor. It was explained that it is under refurbishment and the entrance hall and new lounge do look great. We had the Premier Room and overall it was comfortable and the spa bath was a real treat. However, we did miss having our own coffee/tea making facilities, as several people have commented on. Although it was explained that coffee and tea could be ordered on room service, I didn't think this was good enough. For the price of the room I don't think we should have to pay extra for tea and coffee. I would rather make my own anyhow, especially first thing in the morning. I have discussed this with the manager and he explained that a kettle could be provided on request but I think all rooms should have it provided as standard. Most people just want to relax in their room and have tea and coffee when they want and not have to order room service plus pay extra. However, we had a lovely, comfortable stay at the hotel. The staff were friendly and attentive and the breakfast was excellent. Parking was also good, although you don't need the car when the best way to see the West End is on foot. We will definitely be back to the hotel and look forward to seeing the progress made in the hotel refurbishment. I have had email discussions with the manager, Bal, and he is obviously doing his best in developing this unique hotel and responding well to comments. Avril Lockhart, Argyll.

Room Tip: If Bal hasn't changed his mind about providing tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, as...
1 Thank Avril L
Austin, TX
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had an upstairs room, which was beautiful, overlooking the courtyard. I was solo the 1st night; daughter joined me 2nd day. When she arrived, she thought I must have caused trouble, because Rima knew where she belonged right away! I explained that the staff were all very helpful. :-)

Breakfasts were delicious, and very filling.
This was my first trip across the pond, so I'm no expert, but absolutely loved the Belhaven. I walked everywhere, as there is so much to see in the West End. It was great to come back, sit in the lounge and relax or use the free wi-fi.
I had read about Oran Mar, and wanted to eat there. On the map, it looked like it was probably a taxi ride away. I was delightfully surprised to find it just a few blocks away from Belhaven. Excellent food, as well as FUN place!!
I hope to return some day, and stay @ Belhaven again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The room itself (The Premier Room) was terrific but slightly tatty in some corners - very comfy bed and the spa bath was fantastic - the breakfast was great (well worth the 30 min wait for it!!!!!!!) - was advised that the cook wanted to perfect our poached eggs hence the wait - the only bad thing and this is why a star is being taken off is that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room - when I asked reception about this all I got was a shrug of the shoulders folowed by the words " That's why we have a cafe" - which is all well and good but what if you fancied a tea or coffee when the cafe is closed????

2 Thank Rob H