“Beautiful B&B!”
Review of The Belhaven Hotel

The Belhaven Hotel
Ranked #50 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed December 19, 2007

We stayed here for two nights - one at the beginning and one at the end of our trip. We had two different rooms and both were beautiful - although one definitely had a better bathroom.

This was a great place to start and end our trip - the hotel was in a great location and we were able to see a lot without going too far. The food was very nice, and the staff were excellent helping us out with directions and recommendations.

There was a computer available for use after 5pm, which was very convenient. I never had any wait time to use it, and no one lined up after me.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thestarvingpoet

Reviewed November 26, 2007

This hotel is a great find! A warm welcome and great service, enjoyable breakfast and comfortable rooms, all we required for our trip to Glasgow. We had read a report a previous report on room 15 and 16 and thought '' will be just our luck to get one of those rooms''.
On check in we were given room 16!! but although the stairs can be a bit tedious we found the room great. Small bathroom with plenty of fluffy towels, comfy bed , what I think is new furniture and digital TV which was great because it rained for 2 days we were there.
Well worth the £65.00 per night we paid

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luppe
Reviewed October 23, 2007

We choose this hotel mainly because of the good reviews and it was very close to where we were going for the evening. Unfortunately when we checked in we were told it was the top floor, you need to be very fit as there are many many small narrow stairs to climb. We were given room 16 there was one opposite room 15, it was tiny, the bathroom is the smallest bathroom I have ever been in, the room was clean but very old furniture and the television could be called an antique!!!! We would stay here again but only if we had another room, we were very disappointed to say the least. If booking please ask to avoid these rooms.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank winkerwatson
Reviewed September 11, 2007

My husband and I have just spent 3 nights at the Belhaven Hotel and the customer service and friendliness of the staff is exceptional.
It is a little gem in the West End of Glasgow and so convenient for the lovely restaurants on Byers Road. We wanted to stay an extra night but they were fully booked. I did not take the name of the proprietor but he found us accommodation elsewhere on a last minute website and then booked it all for us. I was incredibly impressed with this standard of customer service.
The breakfast was delicious, yummy poached eggs just as I like them,but there was a full Scottish breakfast available which my husband really enjoyed.
This is a beautiful Victorian terrace building with fantastic high ceilings and ornate plasterwork.

This hotel will always be my first choice on visiting Glasgow.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mercury50
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I was attending a conference with a friend and stayed 5 nights in The Belhaven. We had a very spacious twin room with 2 double beds which were place opposite each other rather than the typical side by side option. The room was clean, comfortable beds, fabulous water pressure in the shower and nice furniture which looked to be new. A lovely cooked breakfast is on offer but after 3 days we could no longer eat in the morning but there was plenty of options available on the cold table. Great staff, david was really helpful with ideas for day trips and evening venues. If i' back in Glasgow I'll be back in The Belhaven.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank wry34
Reviewed July 17, 2007

This small hotel, in an attractive stone terrace along Great Western Road, is convenient for the West End as well as buses to the centre of Glasgow. We stayed five days while attending a conference at Glasgow University. The underground (Glasgow Subway) is 10-15 minutes walk away on Byres Road, which is also full of interesting restaurants, bars and shops. There is plenty of free parking in the terrace outside the hotel. However, until you understand the street layout the hotel can be a bit tricky to reach by car, not helped by the misleading map and sparse directions on the hotel's website. We had a large and reasonably comfortable room on the very top floor (60 steps up!). It was pleasant, though a bit sparsely furnished and could have done with some very minor maintenance. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was ok but not wonderful, with a choice of cooked options that could have used better-quality ingredients. In the breakfast room/lounge the hotel offers free and unrestricted wireless internet access, as well as a PC for those not bringing their own laptops.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank RedIron42
Reviewed May 15, 2007

First impressions of this hotel are good. The entrance is smart and appeared welcoming with a glimpse into a bar/lounge with wicker chairs. The entrance hall is most inviting and it was nice to see family photographs on the mantelpiece as well as a well stocked rack of brochures and tourist information. I had read assorted reviews on Trip Advisor and was aware the basement rooms seem to receive less favourable comments than those upstairs. I had booked a single room at one days notice on laterooms.com and had a feeling I would end up in the basement.

When I arrived I asked if I would be in the basement and was told yes but could upgrade to a £55 single upstairs – I had paid £40 on the internet. Since I was only there for one night and was not expecting to be in the room except to sleep I decided to accept the original room.

I was directed past the kitchen and down the stairs. It is rather an off putting staircase down as the stair carpet is blue and much worn. I was in Room 3 which is close to the public toilets and next to Room 2. This room turned out to be a disappointment and a surprise at the same time. The disappointment was it is quite small – the width between the walls is just enough for the bed which was placed at the end by a window. The surprise was it was pleasantly decorated with assorted soft lights and the main overhead light could be controlled by a dimmer by the bed. There was a table and chair and a wardrobe with – and this was a second nice surprise – proper wooden hangers inside. On another table was a small portable television. The bathroom was tiny and had a shower only. However it was nicely decorated and spotlessly clean.

As an ex-hotel inspector the first thing I did was tap the walls. As I suspected, there was a studboard wall between my room and next door, Room 2. I was nearly going to ask to change/upgrade but decided to risk it for one night. Generally I hate studboard walls because you usually hear everything through the walls. I suspect most of the basement rooms are studboard too.

My evening plans changed at short notice and I found myself back at the hotel much earlier than expected. I decided to have a drink in the bar. As it was I was the only one there and I was served by a very polite and friendly young man. The lounge/bar was warm, cosy, had nice soft lighting, and looked inviting with tables and delightful wicker chairs with cushions. I discovered the free Internet and took the opportunity to check some emails etc. At this point the television above the bar was on and when I asked if it was possible for it to be muted (I was concentrating on an email) the young man said “Certainly” and turned the sound off.

I was so relaxed and content I had another drink. Again this was served politely, efficiently and I returned contented to the Internet. A young couple came in and they ordered a drink. By this time there was an older man on duty and it was about 11.20pm. Suddenly he came over to me and rather brusquely stated the Internet was supposed to be switched off at 11pm! Indeed there was a paper sign on the desk indicating it was available to guests between 5pm and 11pm. However, since the PC is connected to broadband I do not see what the problem is if a guest wishes to use the machine until such times as the bar closes.

Since he had managed to destroy my chilled out mood in a second I decided to retire to my bed. I was quite tired and so did not put on my television – in case it disturbed anyone next door, for I could not tell if the room was occupied or not.

In the event I slept well and only heard the person in the rooms next to me moving about as I myself was rising and getting up. I was pleased to discover the shower was quite powerful and thus found the bathroom to be perfectly adequate for my needs.

The hotel serves an excellent breakfast in the lounge/bar area with an array of cereals and juices on the bar counter. Also available were yoghurts, and a bowl of grapefruit segments and a delightful bowl of fresh fruit salad to help oneself from. Two cheery ladies quickly took orders for tea/coffee and toast and anything from the full breakfast menu. I ordered two poaches eggs on toast and these came exactly as I liked them so I was most pleased. It was a relaxing and enjoyable breakfast with nice quiet guests.

The hotel’s website gives a good indication of the rooms upstairs as well as a look at the bar/lounge area. Perhaps it would help to show the small single room, or maybe give an indication of its size. The trick is to think of Room 3 as being a bit like a ship’s cabin!

In the end the basement was not as bad as I feared although I think that was probably due to the quietness of the lady in the room next to me – I spotted her going in to her room after breakfast. I felt the value had been good for £40 but I would not have wished to pay any more for Room 3.

If the owners read this may I respectfully suggest redecoration of the staircase down to the basement might improve first impressions for guests being directed downstairs. Also, perhaps the night porter could learn to be as charming s the young man he replaced! A relaxation on the use of the Internet until the bar closes might also be a benefit for guests.

Would I return again to the Belhaven? Yes, I think I would. But I would probably prefer a larger room upstairs.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo