“Nice stay in Glasgow :)”
Review of Argyll Hotel

Argyll Hotel
Ranked #30 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My parents and I stayed in the Argyll Hotel for 3 nights in April. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. The room was perfectly fine and I enjoyed the breakfast which was very traditional british. In the evening we tried a meal in the bar downstairs but there wasn't really a variety to chose from. All in all we were quite pleased with our stay and the location isn't very far from the Kensington Museum and a stop where you can hop on the City Sight Seeing Bus.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights in this nice warm and friendly hotel. Liked a lot about it including its location. The rooms had been recently refurbed and where impressive.
However very disappointed to hear that the restaurant was closed on the nights I was there. This put somewhat of a damper on my stay although restaurants nearby where plentiful.
I would have thought that the hotel would have been keen to facilitate me food wise.
Ask me would I stay there again and my answer would be yes but please a restaurant would be useful

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank 1193al
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My sister and myself have stayed at the Argyll Hotel on average about every 3 years since first travelling from Australia in 2000 and have come to look upon it as a home away from home.

It did not dissapoint this June when we stayed there. The staff are always friendly and a big thank you once again to Linda. Also Rafael for the wonderful service at breakfast. You will not go hungry. On touring around Scotland we voted (in our opinion) the porridge at this hotel the best.

We felt that the menu in Sutherlands is not quite as comprehensive as it has been in the past but more casual, but in saying that the food was yummy and fresh and thanks to Lawrie for looking after us always. Drinks and food not overpriced at all, very good value.

The beds are comfy and the renovated bathrooms are great. One big bonus for me, you can
actually open the windows and get fresh air into the room, but if cold the heating in the room is also great.

Nothing seems to be too much trouble for this hotel and I also hope they keep the policy of being able to leave our large suitcase in storage at the hotel (no charge) whilst we take our small bags with us for a period of days whilst we are trouring around.

Well done again Argyll, we will be back, and would recommend the Hotel to anyone travelling to Glasgow.

Room Tip: Front rooms are very noisy as there is a pub downstairs on Sauchihall Street. Rooms at back are won...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Dorothy60
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Went to visit family at the Western Infirmary,so wanted a hotel within walking distance, about 10 mins. Warm welcome on arrival and friendly staff throughout my stay. Stayed in the main Hotel, I was upgrades from the annex over the road. Room was clean and tidy...... The furniture may have seen better days, but my bed was comfy. The shower room was spacious and obviously recently decorated.
The hotel has 5 car parking spaces to the rear, then offers parking permits for those with a car (small charge)...not sure if these will be available during the Games in July 14.
Location wise you couldn't be better placed for the Kelvin Art Gallery and Gardens...... within 10 minutes walk. Byers Road is about 15 minutes walk. Buses into the City Centre stop outside. I walked to town in about 30 minutes, as it was a lovely day.

For what I paid I was very pleased with the Argyll Hotel........ I expected a clean room.........and I got a lovely clean room with a great shower!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank aliol
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at the Argyll before - more than 10 years ago. At the time I joked that the room was so small, I had to go out in the hall to change my mind. What a difference a decade has made! Our room was large and roomy, sporting a 4-poster bed. The bathroom was sparkling. Although we weren't particularly disappointed in our earlier stay, we were pleasantly surprised at the improvements.

Breakfast was ample, although my wife and I steered clear of the scrambled eggs which appeared a shade or two too runny for us. We did, however, order poached eggs which were perfect when delivered to our table.

The staff was most helpful. And we took advantage of having laundry done at the hotel. Great value for money.

We had a terrific stay at the Argyll and would readily return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a 4-poster room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We'd read they'd recently redecorated the rooms in a previous review but this seems to have extended to new curtains and bed/pillow covers only. The furniture i.e. wonky wardrobe and scratched bed side tables could do with replacing. Same goes for the rusty shower rack. The bathroom in general could be updated. A mattress protector of a few inches so you don't feel the springs would be nice. The reception staff was friendly and cleaning was fine. WiFi wasn't great.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have stayed in the Argyll many times over the years and this was as good a stay as previous, we stayed in one of the 4 poster rooms. Very comfy sleep, clean room and bathroom. Nice Breakfast as usual and always friendly staff. Thanks again guys.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple