“Ok at discount price”
Review of Argyll Hotel

Ranked #30 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Booked a few weeks in advance for £48, if I had paid the full price I may not have been quite as happy. The hotel is what it is, a fairly ok 3 star, I appreciate the efforts made with the tartan themed rooms, which I suppose would make overseas visitors feel they are getting a good 'Scottish' experience. However perhaps if the cost of the vast mounts of tartan in the room had been instead been used to attend to small details such as the toilet flush handle being replaced with a chrome one instead of a cheap flimsy white plastic one or if the public toilet type toilet tissue dispenser were replaced with a toilet roller holder, it may lead to return custom ... As for the mattresses & pillows, it's time to replace both. The mattress was such a cheap one that when you sat on the edge, you could feel the divan base & i did not actually think lumpy foam pillows existed anymore. Neither of us slept very well, despite there being no noise whatsoever from either other guests or traffic etc.
Our room (101) smelt slightly of urine but I could also smell it by the lift & in the corridor leading to the room, I think air freshner had been liberally sprayed but this made it worse as to me it smelt like a public loo. We did tell the receptionist about it & she offered us room 106 but unfortunately the restaurant extractor was below the room.
We had breakfast & I have to say this was the saving grace for the Argyll, if the had not been so fresh, plentiful & tasty we would give this hotel a poor rating.
The area is not bad & you could easily get to the west end and other great locations.
Both my OH & I got our hair cut round the corner in Argyll St at a very funky salon (Cusp) who do standbys. Lucky for us when we arrived at 2pm the receptionist told us check was from 3pm (it's actually 2pm) so we wandered round the corner & found Cusp...
There are great places to eat just up the rd & it fairly centrally located., just not sure it's a 3 star, more of a 2 star, less tartan & more finishing touches may be the answer for the Argyll

• Stayed: February 2013
ArgyllHotel, Front Office Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear MrsMackmehappy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Argyll Hotel. We carefully read all your comments and suggestions and we appreciate the detailed feedback.

We are very sorry we could not meet all your expectation and we truly apologise for any inconvenience caused. As soon as you check out the housekeeping went in the room and a deep cleaning was made. At that point, we could not actually detect a urine smell but we carefully cleaned the carpet.

Attention to details is definitely a valuable advice and we are constantly trying our best to improve our services. Your comments will be presented to our general manager to remedy the areas mentioned within your review.

Thank you in particular for highlighting our breakfast and we are very glad you enjoyed it.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,
Flavia

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I booked this hotel for my mom to stay while she came to my graduation at Glasgow Uni. I literally walked up and down Sauchiehall Street and looked at every hotel. This one exceeded the rest by far. The reception people were friendly and the rooms were clean (although small). My mom loved the breakfast and the location was perfect. 15 minute walk to the uni and 15 minute walk to city centre. The price was right as well and i loved the tartan rooms! Would recommend anyone to stay here!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Pleasant surprise! Met with a warm, cosy welcome. Hotel very clean and staff friendly. Definitely great value for money. Room big and although at front of the hotel, noise level was minimum. Looked as though room had been recently refurbished with beautiful decor and en- suite. Very comfortable bed and pillows. Excellent breakfast. Extremely happy with our experience and would definitely return. Very convenient to both Westend and City centre.

Room Tip: Room 306 was were we stayed and would recommend. Although at front of hotel, it was third floor and...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Una R
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Needed a fairly last minute room for an interview at Glasgow Medical School. Booked online and wasn't disappointed, especially considering the price. Comfortable, well equipped room plus a really fantastic breakfast for less than you pay for a travelodge. Plus the staff were very friendly and helpful, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I checked into this hotel at very short notice for two nights (6th & 7th February), due to a bad experience and unanticipated check out at another hotel on the same street (no heating or hot showers).

The lady on the front desk was great - professional, helpful, warm and friendly, offering me a lovely room, despite lack of notice.

The room was lovely - warm, clean, large, with a four poster bed. The bathroom was also large, moder, very clean with a good hot shower and plenty of decent towels.

The breakfast was very good. The lady managing the breakfast area was very professional and was very helpful, warm and thoughtful - a real credit to the team!

I had a great stay and would recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Ranmali
ArgyllHotel, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments on tripadvisor and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to your recent stay at the Argyll Hotel. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed everything during your stay, we certainly are very fortunate with having good staff and good facilities.

Thank you in particular for highlighting Front Office team and breakfast team members who delivered outstanding service.

I am pleased to read that you intend to return to the Argyll Hotel and recomend it your friends.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments.

Thank you for staying with us at the Argyll Hotel Glasgow.

Kind regards

Bobby Bashir
Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was our 4th time staying at The Argyll Hotel in the last year. Its great value, clean, and the staff are very friendly and very accommodating. It's our first choice when looking for accommodation in Glasgow. We’ve even changed our travel plans to ensure we can get into the Argyll Hotel rather than go elsewhere. When I booked this time, I forgot to request a room at the back and on the upstairs, which is our preference. Although, on arrival, the room we had been allocated was not of this type, the receptionist went that extra mile to ensure we got exactly what we were after. And we were only staying for the one night! Well done on customer service! The rooms are always very cosy, clean and have everything in them that you need. The free Wi-Fi is an added bonus! The breakfast is always fresh and good value. This time I noticed a lovely fruit loaf on the bread table, which when toasted and served with melted butter is absolutely delicious! Linda, the waitress during breakfast service, is very friendly, efficient, and has such a pleasant manner with everyone. The location is excellent. You’re within walking distance to the city centre, a stone’s throw away from the Kelvingrove Art Galleries and Museum, The Kelvin Hall Sports Arena, Kelvingrove Park and an easy walking distance to the trendy West End. Getting a taxi, if required, is very easy. Just step outside the front and you’ll get one very soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ArgyllHotel, Front Office Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments.

We appreciate your very kind comments relating to your recent stay at the Argyll Hotel. We were very pleased to read you enjoyed everything during your stay, we certainly are very fortunate with the central location which sometimes comes with some traffic noise.

The fruit loaf is a new addition to our breakfast. We recently bought a bread maker and we are testing all sorts of breads and cakes. We are glad you enjoyed it.

Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Flavia Tudoreanu
Front of House Manager
Argyll Hotel Glasgow
0141 337 3313

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I booked this hotel via www.lasminute.com and paid £35 for B&B! Not bad! and exactly what I needed as I had to charge an organisation for this and didnt want to take the P***.
I had a single bed and a very small thin duvet, the room was on a busy road in a busy part of town, so didn't sleep too well, but thats not the hotels fault!
Due to the duvet being quite small I was kept quite cool during the night (which I prefer) but since Im over 6' I had at least one part of my body not covered.
The breakfast was average but considering I only paid £5 extra to add breakfast to my room, it was fine.
The staff are all very very pleasant and Id consider staying here again, If I wanted cheap and cheerful!
Does at it says on the tin!

Room Tip: Request you dont get a room to the front of the building if poss.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our Hotel.

If we are not fully booked we are always trying to upgrade the singles to double or larger rooms.
A last minute booking can be a real bargain sometimes but there will not be too many rooms left to choose from. The room allocation is made considering the rate level.

We know sometimes a single duvet will not suffice for some guests and we keep some double duvets in the reception.

Please feel free to ask for one next time when you are visiting us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Enjoy you travelling.