“Good value, quality hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Glasgow Pond Hotel

Glasgow Pond Hotel
Ranked #55 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Helensburgh
“Good value, quality hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

Hotel was clean and welcoming. Staff were courteous friendly and helpful. Rooms fresh and comfortable. Good food with a varied menu.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

Visited hotel for 3 nights from 2nd September 2010 and had a room facing the pond on 2nd floor
Staff are great but you will have to organise car hire yourself as although I was promised on the telephone that it could be done at the hotel I was told on arrival that they could not arrange it !
Very noisy - no air conditioning so window open at night and woken at 6am by dustbins being emptied / deliveries made to M & S Simply food store in Shell garage opposite
Would recommend earplugs and room on 4th floor on other side of hotel not facing the pond

1 Thank DENNIS00736
Huddersfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

The young women on reception were very busy and constantly broke off from dealing with face-to-face guests to answer the phone. I had to return to reception twice to sort out a faulty electronic key to my room (leaving my luggage in the corridor outside my room). In the morning I was late at the conference as my car had been blocked in by a delivery lorry.

The rooms are clean and the shower was powerful which was good. Although I'd folded the towels and replaced them on the rails, I was needlessly given clean ones despite following the instructions on a card aimed at reducing environmental impact by reusing them.

I stayed for 3 nights and didn't sleep well. The bed was fine but there was a lot of noise from outside (possibly the boiler or similar and the arrival of binmen, deliveries etc), noise from neighbouring rooms (I could hear the man in the next room's phone-call word-for-word) and the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night (I guess somebody was smoking or similar as there certainly wasn't a fire).

!'d been booked 'room only' as breakfast was over £10 which my employer considered too expensive for a continental breakfast. However, the hotel assured us that I'd be able to obtain a coffee and light breakfast through the Costa coffee. This turned out to be very unsatisfactory. A single small stale cold croissant was served with jam - and a ramekin of cream! A colleague who decided to treat herself to breakfast through room service hadn't got her meal by 9am - it turned out her order had been lost. However the evening meal which we took at the hotel restaurant was well presented and it seemed that there was a a talented chef in the kitchen (during the evening).

Having watched 'Undercover Boss' I was optimistic about staying at a Best Western and liked the company's ethos. I can only hope the boss goes undercover at Glasgow Pond and sorts out its shortcomings.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Malaga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

I have been told that last weekend was one of the busiest in Glasgow this year, therefore I was expecting a little distubance, however I was pleasently surprised when I returned from an evening in the Westend, which is a stroll along Great Western Rd or a few mins in a taxi, I returned to a quite and relaxed atmosphere and enjoyed my evening at the hotel.

The reception staff were very welcoming and helpful, and the reception area/bar/restaurant is equally welcoming and very comfortable.

Interior of the room was extremely modern and of high quality with a nice view overlooking the pond and local surroundings, so I could not have asked for more.

An allround good eperience - I am certain that I will return to the Pond Hotel

1 Thank UnclePedro85
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

My girlfriend and I have recently visited family and friends in Glasgow.

In ther past we have stayed in the Crown Plaze and Malmaison, but this time decided to take a punt on a cheaper alternative.

Although it is not a central location, getting into Glasgow is easy as 1 2 3 - the rooms are clean and the staff couldn't be more helpful. The hotel really is great value for money and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Glasgow Pond last week as we were in Glasgow to attend a family wedding. What a massive disappointment. Don't get me wrong, for a budget hotel, I wasn't expecting the Ritz, but the hotel fell well short of what I'd expect having stayed at a number of Best Western Hotels across Europe, it will certainly make me think twice before booking a stay at another.

OK, the hotel is someway out of the City Centre, which in itself isn't a big deal, you get what you pay for and if you research this before you book you'll make the necessary travel arrangements.

Our first clue that something was not right was when we checked in and were told we'd booked on a room only basis, when we simply hadn't. The staff weren't really prepared to investigate it and gave us the impression that we could "take it or leave it". Bearing in mind we were only there for one night, we didn't make a big deal out of it.

The room itself was small and fairly clean, although there were white oily smudges on the bathroom mirror. In addition, despite booking for two we were only provided with one towel. When I asked for more I was rudely asked "Are you sure? Have you checked?". Following this, more towels were begrudgingly brought to our room.

As the hotel is on a main road (and next to a hospital) it was pretty noisy in the room. We had to keep the window closed at night as the petrol station (next door) was a constant source of noise, especially when the mini market was being stocked at 5am! As such the room was incredibly hot as some other reviewers have said. When we checked out there was another couple doing so, who also mentioned the heat only to be told "You could have come down and got a fan if it bothered you that much!".

The icing on the cake was that the paper we'd asked for was nowhere to be seen. A triviality sure, but just one more disappointing point to the stay at the Glasgow Pond.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

The welcome at reception was almost non existent, the food in the restaurant was inedible, and the service throughout really dreadful - our room was small, the corridor carpets filthy and the decor grotty. A few of our group sat in the bar most of the night on Saturday, and received excellent service, and a great bit of Scottish hospitality from the Night porter (Brendan), this was the one part of our stay we enjoyed - so, if you are going to stay here, make sure to wait up all night drinking, it's better than spending time in your room, although the bar prices are horrific! £7.55 for a double grouse and ginger ale!

• Stayed September 2010