“Pretty Good!”

Ranked #57 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Pretty Good!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely place! Staff were second to none, breakfast was to die for and the evening meals were very good and reasonably priced. Rooms were lovely except for one or two little problems.

The double room, number 222, was smaller than normal due to the fact that it shared a lot of space with the two lifts! (This should really be a single room).
Don`t worry, the lifts are completely silent but I am afraid that the persons exiting them in the small hours were not! This room also had the air conditioning unit outside the window so the noise was fairly annoying when the window was open. In fact, perhaps this particular room should be for storage?

Bathroom was lovely but the light above the mirror did not work and the tissue holder was empty. I asked reception for an extra pillow but was told that as the Hotel was full I would not be able to get one! . Minor details but annoying nevertheless.

I would like to see notices inside or outside the lifts stating something like: `PLEASE KEEP NOISE DOWN WHEN ENTERING/LEAVING THE LIFT. Thank you`.

My Sister and Brother in law also stayed overnight and had a larger room on the third floor.
No problems with their room. (In all fairness it was well away from the lifts!).

The overall ambience is fine and it is a very quiet area.

All in all a really nice place and I have no problems in recommending it to one and all.

Room Tip: Room 222 or any room too close to the lifts!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lancashire UK
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have just spent 2 nights at this hotel. It was ideal for visiting our son at University and has a large free car park. The rooms are comfortable and we had a delicious buffet breakfast.

Our only problem with the hotel is the function room which seems to have events on Friday and Saturday nights. Unfortunately our room was situated above this and we were kept awake by loud music and people shouting, singing and swearing in the car park. Fortunately after complaining the following morning we were moved to a room at the other side of the hotel. We were very pleased how quickly out problem was resolved and would stay again but ask for a "quiet" room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side facing the hospital rather than the pond which is on the side of the func...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sal1LancashireUK
In the smoke
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at the pond for a couple of days, what an excellent location for Beatson Hospital, the team we all very helpful and willing to assist our every need. The rooms were all well furnished. Free Wi-Fi a bonus, had a lot of electronic devices, but not a problem for the receptionist who were all willing to keep handing me out vouchers.

Definitely will use again when in Glasgow.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Big_John_Inthesmoke
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

As an exile Glaswegian now staying in Birmingham I have recently been spending quite a bit of time visiting Glasgow and, for the most part, have reguarly stayed at the Glasgow Pond Hotel. I can honestly say that, on each occasion, my family and I have been well received and would find it difficult to fault the service we have received in any way. The rooms and communal areas are always very clean and well laid out, the bar staff and housekeeping staff very friendly and the food (especially the breakfasts) excellent. We like to spend our time in Glasgow's West End and therefore the hotel is well located for this and I woud not hestate to recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lovely interior decor, excellent friendly service, tasty cooked breakfast as well as fruit, pastries etc and comfortable light fresh modern rooms. Very comfortable bed slept like a log. Would highly recommend to friends and family and would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Carolpiggybank
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my partner in January, was a bit worried pulling up to the hotel as the exterior isn't the nicest, however it was a nice surprise when entering the hotel and seeing its lovely decor! Check in at reception was very quick and professional, receptionist was a lovely girl! The room was clean and modern. The brasserie menu wasn't for us, however the bar menu was excellent. The guy Andrew that served was excellent, very friendly and well spoken and showed a keen interest in us and other guests when chatting to them. The young girl in the bar was also very attentive, I'm sure her name was laurel or Laura? Breakfast the next morning was great! All in all I would definitely return to this hotel. Keep a hold of your good staff members they are a credit to you!

• Stayed January 2013
Trophy Club, Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Where to begin: I'll start with prior to my arrival. The few automatic e-mails I had received had very noticeable mistakes (i.e. using the word "us" when they meant to use the word "you") and continued to send e-mails this way. Secondly, when I sent off an e-mail prior to arrival I received no response (how charming). Thirdly, when I did arrive, I was greeted very unpleasantly by a receptionist who seemed malcontent at working her shift. Then, upon check-in after entering my room I noticed that my product upgrade add-on was no where in sight -- as in the bottle of wine, robes, slippers (which are actually paper thin) and the chocolates. So, no bother I go down stairs and point this out and show my booking information. The receptionist says okay, apologies, and asks me what kind of wine I want and I say red. A few hours later I return to my room to see a bottle of white wine after stating I wanted red on top of the worn looking bath robes.

Upon room inspection, it was very clear that little hairs were all over the bed, the tv remote had seen better days, the shower/bath tub was worn and the walls were lacking in any form of privacy as you could hear the smallest noises. Speaking of which, I hope sleeping in isn't a priority since their walls are useless and housekeeping is overly noisy in the morning if they're on your floor or they sound like they're jumping on trampolines from the floor above in the morning and ready to greet you bright in early to clean your room if you don't think in advance to stick the "do not disturb" sign on your door. Conversely, you can still stick it on and they may still open the door.

The problems were very minimally fixed after commenting on the above. I would have thought that above and beyond customer service would have sprang into action though I never saw it. A refund would have been nice though that was rejected.

All in all my stay can be summed up by the following:

-A staff with NO attention to detail
-Poor customer service
-Poor cleanness
-Worn rooms/products
-Very noisy
-Little privacy
-Misrepresentative

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank intltraveller13

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels