“baa baa black sheep, have you any tables......”
Review of Black Sheep Bistro

Black Sheep Bistro
Ranked #16 of 2,428 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“baa baa black sheep, have you any tables......”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I have been wanted to visit the bistro for a while following reading reviews on here and listening to some recommendations from friends.

I eventually visited with some friends and I was not disappointed.

The menu has some amazing choices - its probably one of the only restaurants I would have been happy for them to serve me anything as the menu is right up my street.

We opted not to have starters but went straight for mains. Jeez! The portion size was just fantastic. Between us we had:

Lamb shank - so big, so tender, so tasty and to die for.
Steaks - both perfectly cooked to order - very generous portion and tasty too
Macaroni - which was massive and probably the best macaroni I have ever had including that of my own mothers.

It is fair to say we licked our plates.

Although I had no room left for pudding we opted to have the sweet platter between us. OMG!!!! it was amazing. Its smaller portions of the main dessert menu. There was nothing small about this.............7 dessert options each nicer than the other - its a platter from heaven. My favourite was the victoria sponge, the sticky toffee pudding and the puff candy meringue - all to die for.

The bistro wouldnt be the success it is without the staff - a lovely family run restaurant. Welcoming from the minute you walk in the door to the minute you leave. very attentive but not in your face.

It took a while to go but I will certainly be visiting again to work my way through the menu and will be recommending to everyone.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank shoppergalGlasgow

“Eclectic mix”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Quality of food high standard and wide ranging . Desserts delightful and sweet platter exceptional . Very reasonably priced good honest food as it should be , well worth seeking this bistro out as other trip advisors have , you won't be disappointed.

• Visited November 2013
Glasgow
“Glasgow's hidden gem - an excellent find”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I'd been meaning to get along to this place for a long time; mainly based on the favourable reviews on here plus a couple of friends' recommendations. I wasn't disappointed. The food was excellent, the portions were substantial, they had good local beers on offer and their desserts were just incredible.

I had scallops with Stornoway black pudding in a creamy mustard sauce to start with, which was amazing; around 5 tasty scallops with a considerable wedge of black pudding and some crispy parma ham chucked in for good measure. Amazing! For my main, I had braised lamb, which just fell apart and was melt in the mouth. But the highlight of the night had to be the desserts. It was around £5 for an individual dessert but, for around £11.50, you could get a platter of seven desserts to share. Our party consisted of four people, so it was a no-brainer! Raspberry roulade, stick toffee pudding, honeycomb ice cream, banofee pie, cheesecake (to name but 5!) all on the same platter; each one as delicious as the last.

The staff were really friendly and helpful and the restaurant's tastefully decorated and has a great atmosphere. It's not an area you would necessarily expect to find a decent eatery, particularly one as good as the Black Sheep. It's a hidden gem that's well worth finding and sampling for yourselves. An excellent restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank innestully
“Memorable family meal”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Came here with my girlfriend's family for a birthday meal and each one of us left very full and very happy. We all had a main course and dessert which was enough as the portions are large. Our waitress was very helpful in helping us decide what to choose and she even offered to alter some of the dishes if it would sway us one way or the other! All the meat was cooked perfectly especially the gammon steak but it was really the sauces that turned these everyday Scottish homely dishes into something special. When the desserts arrived everyone was taken aback by the presentation and the tasted even better than they looked! I look forward to going back but it won't be for a while as they are almost fully booked through December and January and no wonder.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“hidden gem - need to book in advance”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Visited the black sheep after a recommendation and was surprised to find out it was practically on my door step! The restaurant doesn't look like much from the outside, but the intimate and cosy interior made up for it. The menu is excellent and full of traditional Scottish hearty food. The service, food and portion sizes were excellent and I have been back several times since! Though I would recommend that people book in advance as they're always busy.

• Visited July 2013