“Great place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Sheep Bistro

Black Sheep Bistro
Ranked #8 of 2,386 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Went here because at the time it was number 1 on trip advisor. In my opinion it still deserves to be. Excellent steak, good price, plenty of chips. Dessert was amazing too had a mixed plate with 3 puddings they were awesome.

“Simple and stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

This small restaurant seating only about 10 tables is quite simply brilliant. Home cooked simple food which just tastes amazing. I asked what was in a particular sauce cause i couldnt believe how good it was, the daughter who was the waitress asked her mum who was the chef shouted back through three simple ingredients. lol its was amazing, no frills and over fancy settings or dazzle, just brilliant home cooked fresh food.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Cosy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I went here with my sister tonight for a quick bite.
She had steak pie with mash and veg, and I had fish and chips.
Both very generous portions of well seasoned, tasty fresh food, and we shared a trio of mini desserts - raspberry and white choc cheesecake, maltesers sponge cake and sticky toffee pudding. Delicious.
I had wine, she had a lemonade and the total bill came to about £40. Very reasonable.
The service was excellent, the only downside was my sister said her steak pie wasn't as hot as it could be.
But we will definitely return.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Repeat visitor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Visited this cute little place a few times now. I always enjoy it and this time I decided I'd take a dessert away as I can never fit it in. I thought it was good that they allowed you to order a dessert to take away! I didn't actually get to try it as my other half ate it but he did enjoy it! The food is good, like your mum would make! If you're still not sure whether to go or not - do it you'll enjoy it. I like going for lunch or Sunday dinner. It's a family run business, which is good to see these days :-)

East Kilbride, Scotland, United Kingdom
“An opportunity missed, perhaps.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I've thought long and hard about this restaurant and how many stars to give it. Ideally it would be 3.5 but unfortunately that isn't an option so I've went for three, and for a very good reason.

Firstly, the restaurant itself is lovely. A small place, with maybe 9 or 10 tables inside. It's nicely decorated, with a cosy feeling whilst also feeling modern and fresh. A big tick for the decor in my opinion. The staff were pleasant too, warm, welcoming and very informative (the waitress gave me a good run down of the available ales and helped me pick a nice one.) There's a good wine and beer list, and the menu is of a fair size. The choices will be familiar to those who used to go to their Granny's for a nice, hearty dinner.

And therein lies the problem with this place. The food. I tried my best to forgive it, I really did. But it's still bugging me. It's food like Granny used to make... but not quite. I'll try my best to explain.

For starters I had the scallops with black pudding and parma ham in a mustard cream sauce. The plate that came out was MASSIVE for a starter, with five scallops onboard, three of which were like medallions of beef. They were cooked beautifully. The black pudding was nice (it was from Stornoway, so no surprises there) as was the parma ham (two easy ingredients that would be hard to get wrong.) My problem with it was that it was drowned, and I mean drowned, in three ladlefuls of the mustard cream sauce. The sauce was bland, with not even the slightest hint of mustard to it. It's presence turned what might have been a nice, delicate dish into something rather uncouth. All that was required for the dish really was a drizzle of the stuff. They must go through a gallon of cream a night! My partner got the goat's cheese tart, which wasn't bad except for being a bit short on the cheese side of things.

For mains I got the beef olives (the large potion, which is, as I'm sure you've guessed, also MASSIVE!) and here is where the problem lies with the cuisine. The olives themselves were lovely, served with onion and a tasty gravy. But it was the accompaniments that let the whole show down. It was served with mashed potato, mashed turnip and boiled carrots. And that's all there is to say about them...

The whole restaurant is summed up in that dollop of mashed potato. It was plentiful. And it was mashed. But it was just potato. No seasoning, no butter mashed through it or cream or horseradish or spring onion or anything. Just plain mashed potato. Plain turnip. Plain carrots. Plain mustard cream sauce in the starter. Plain scallops, unseasoned. Plain Broccoli. Plain bland.

It's such a shame. The quality of the ingredients is superb, but the final effort is a little ham fisted and, well, lacking in effort, I suppose. Which wouldn't be a crime if Granny did it, because Granny didn't make me pay for it. But she seasoned things, put butter and spring onion in the mash, added depths of flavour to the dish, made it her own. This is what Black Sheep Bistro need to do. I was looking for something unique, a different take on the traditional. But it all felt a bit flat and underwhelming.

I really hope that the kitchen sees this, because there is a lot of potential there. It doesn't have to be poncy, fancy, naff nouvelle cuisine stuff, just so long as it isn't bland. Because that's the biggest sin of all.

• 3 of 5 bubbles