“Delicious Food, Great Staff, Definitely Recommended”
Review of Black Sheep Bistro

Black Sheep Bistro
Ranked #17 of 2,430 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
Glasgow
“Delicious Food, Great Staff, Definitely Recommended”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We visited tonight for my friend's birthday. I'd wanted to try the Black Sheep for ages so was really looking forward to it. I certainly wasn't disappointed. We all loved our food and will definitely be back. Even the birthday boy who is the fussiest eater I know was well taken care of. Many thanks for a fantastic evening.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank GBGlasgow

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice wee restaurant but overpriced”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I went with a friend for lunch and although the food was nice I didn't think it was anything overly special and at £14.50 for a main course I was expecting something better. I chose the chicken and it tasted like it had been cooked for hours and was like eating rubber. From all the great reviews perhaps I just chose the wrong dish but I certainly wouldn't be rushing back. I appreciate it's meant to be rustic home cooking and that it certainly was, you could smell that stewed meat aroma when walking through the door. From reading all the great reviews and considering the prices were the same as I would pay in a good town centre restaurant I was really quite disappointed. The service was good and friendly I agree and perhaps it would be a better choice to go in the evening as I didn't feel there was any atmosphere like I have experienced in other out of town bistro type restaurants.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank AnneF459
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“A real gem”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We visited for a late Sunday lunch, and were really struck by the generous portions and the quality of the food which tasted really nice. It's a small, attractive and relaxed place, and we felt quite at home there. My scallops were perfectly cooked, and my friend's smoked salmon with rosti and horseradish was equally good. The mains we chose were slow roasted lamb, and haggis with neeps and tatties. Both were lovely and came with generous amounts of fresh and nicely cooked veg. We did rather struggle with our desserts as they were huge, but the staff offered to "doggy bag" what we couldn't eat. The wine list was small but very reasonably priced. Overall, in terms of quality, honesty and value, this restaurant is hard to beat. It's off the beaten track, but obviously known to and popular with the locals. The staff were friendly and attentive without being obtrusive. Would definitely recommend, but bring an appetite!

1 Thank mondsp
“So glad we eventually went!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend had wanted to go here for ages, so of we went today with our 17 month old daughter.
The food was amazing, I had Cullen Skink my BF Tomato and red pepper soup, it was delicious, the wonderful waitress even took us some choldproof dishes for us to share with our daughter (who also loved the soups!) I had lasagne salad and chips, tjey even made the salad look and taste great, chopped in to lovely pieces with a gorgeous dressing, my BF had the haddock with parmaham. The waitress was lovely, over entertaining our girl who was getting irritated so we could finish our lunch.
I was really impressed with this place and will most definately go back. And reccomend!

New Brighton
“Well worth seeking out!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Black Sheep is a little of the beaten track for the tourist or business traveler. It's right on the edge of Glasgow's West End - but walking from central Glasgow it feels quite separate from the West End. The area around the restaurant feels like it's just starting to be redeveloped but is less busy and in some ways feel more genuine than other more touristy and studenty parts of the city.

The restaurant itself is in an unassuming building on a side street. I was made welcome as soon as I arrived and was the only single traveler that evening. I was quickly struck that there were numerous family groups in the restaurant of all ages, mainly local, mixed with a few non-locals who, probably like me had been attracted by the great reviews.

The menu looked delicious and everything was keenly priced. I have to say as well I'd challenge anyone that uses Tripadvisor to find a cheaper wine list for any restaurant in the number one TA slot in another major European city! I chose to have two starters instead of a main as they sounded so delicious - I had Cullen Skink with crusty bread followed by Stornoway Black Pudding, tattie scone, poached egg, salad and chutney. Both were really, totally delicious.

Service here was agreeably friendly and inclusive - important for a single traveler - but not overbearing. The deserts sounded amazing but I just didn't have the room on this occasion.

To be honest every town and city needs a Black Sheep - it's a shame that that's not likely to happen. a neighborhood restaurant that really hits the spot on all levels - wow! Come here and enjoy!!

1 Thank JimmyBNewBrighton