“Best Ever!”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I can't imagine coming through Glasgow and not going to this wonderful Bistro! I found it searching for places to eat in Glasgow online four years ago and what a find it was!!! I believe this restaurant would NEVER receiving a poor review as the owners, staff and food are superior. Every plate of food comes from this kitchen piping hot and cooked to perfection. I feel as though I am sitting down to one of my Grandmother's Sunday meals that were always so special throughout my childhood. Nothing can compare. It is so refreshing to know there are still places like this, please don't ever change.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Went saturday evening. No complaints-food very good and despite having "smaller" main meals we were struggling to finish it. In summary, plentiful good food, helpful staff in unpretentious surroundings

1  Thank Gavin S
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This small quiet bistro is located outwith the city centre, so it's nice to be tucked away from all the hustle and bustle! The menu was varied, with a great range of starters - Cullen Skink, goats cheese tart, black pudding and scallops....very difficult to choose from! I had the goats cheese tart. The pastry was perfect and it tasted fabulous. My partner had black pudding with poached egg and tattie scone. The whole dish was mouthwatering, and the tattie scone was the best I've tasted. I had Balmoral chicken for a main, and it was melt in the mouth. Chicken was cooked beautifully and the sauce was excellent. My partner had the steak pie which had a rich gravy and lovely puff pastry. The service was quick and friendly. The atmosphere was very mellow. The bistro is decorated tastefully and there were lit candles scattered along the tables and windows which added to the ambience. Our meal consisted of two starters, two mains, a bottle of house wine and a soft drink. The final price came to just over £50. Worth every penny, and I can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Lee S
Reviewed January 20, 2013

In most small towns in France, and even dotted throughout the Quarters of large French cities, you find family-run, unpretentious little bistros serving excellent food to local people based on local ingredients and using local recipes. At last, Glasgow has the equivalent in the Black Sheep. The staff aren't worrying about appearing 'cool' - instead they are welcoming, interested in what they are doing and knowledgeable about what they are serving.
I had booked lunch for a party of five. During the morning, a baby was added to the party and a high chair was cheerfully supplied, along with an offer to heat up baby foods and even to wash the baby's dish which had arrived with him. When another adult arrived at the dessert stage, she was also welcomed, and joined in with dessert.
What about the food? Some of us shared a starter of haggis and black pudding fritters which were excellent - as were the vegetables that came with it. Our mains included haddock and chips, which seemed to go down well with a twelve year-old boy; beef olives for my wife; melt-in-the-mouth lamb shank in a Guinness gravy for me; a hearty plate of macaroni and cheese which my adult son enthused about; and a haggis dish for my Burns-loving son-in-law.
And as for the desserts! Creative, exciting and delicious - from a strawberry shortcake to a white cheesecake and a sticky toffee pudding - all shared around an age-range from late sixties to 11 months
For a small place, they have a good drinks menu: a smallish wine list backed up with some good beers (including real ales) - and a big jug of chilled water on the table as soon as we arrived.
Nice washroom too. So what's not to like about the Black Sheep? We'll be back.

1  Thank Sanz1820
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The Black Sheep opened especially for our staff night out.... Unbelievable. They accommodated us, allowed our own music, cleared us a dance floor.... The food was amazing, the service was friendly as usual.... We can't speak highly enough of the waiting staff, Georgia & Claire are consistently good and who could refuse a chat with Angie and dave at the end of the night, they cook the food and couldn't be any nicer (even when gratecrash the kitchen to talk rubbish after far too many wines). Will recommend time and time again. If you haven't been GO. Home cooked, comfort food at its absolute best.

If you're going for anything, go for Sunday lunch. The roast beef is unreal.

Thanks again to all at Black Sheep