“great restaurant”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
Reviewed November 23, 2012

excellent food - good sized portions so that after starters and mains there was no room for pud - sadly! Good selction of wines all sold by the glass - very refreshing when two out of three were driving. Unfussy vegetable - but well cooked. Good value too.
Lucky to get early table at short notice on a Tuesday! - so worth booking in advance
I would definitely go back

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed November 22, 2012

My pal and I lunched at the Black Sheep last Friday and we were both delighted with our meal.

The service was enchanting, the ambiance gentle and genial without being laid on thick. It's almost like being in someone's front room. Slightly arty without being farty.

There was a large table populated by mature ladies who were clearly enjoying themselves enormously too, on an outing or reunion or something.

We were bowled over by the quality of the dishes. I had the haddock and chips - sounds banal and routine but was amazing. Two huge fillets done in a delicious batter with garden peas and gigantic chips. My pal had the lasagne and thoroughly enjoyed it - he's not the easiest person to please, either! It was all very much home cooked with tender loving care I came in by Glasgow's renowned "Clockwork Orange" subway train which stops at St George's Cross, about two hundred metres away. My pal was able to park nearby without too much difficulty. We will certainly be going there again. You have to book and it's only open later in the week.

1  Thank Davymor
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Went here as it was recommended by a friend and me and my boyfriend went for lunch. There was one more table in but the restaurant is really small so a couple more tables and it would be full. We ordered from the waitress who was really nice and had soup and a sandwich and my boyfriend had chicken. It was really nice and a nice portion size. We will be back.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

So the positives, nice welcome, polite staff - (over friendly?), food piled high, nice menu and price also easy enough to find.....

however.....it has to be emphasised that this place is small - only a room, with no trained chef as such (they dont try to hide this) - does the bigger portoins make up for this? Not convinced. Yes the food is totally acceptable but it doesnt take too much to pull off these dishes? No huge skills required I am afraid.

So yes - ticks a few boxes and has nothing hugely wrong with it but if you are looking for a "real" restaurant - with some skills in play - perhaps look elsewhere. This small place seems to do well but for something with more flair - you will be needing to shell out more cash.

To sum up - acceptable but if your looking for depth and skill - perhaps look elswhere.

5  Thank janey f
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I have tonight found one of the best restaurants around. The food was exceptional and there's something for everyone I'd assume. The place has an excellent ambience and excellent waiting staff. To top it all off, the cost of the food is tiny considering the great quality.

1  Thank Beaverchew