“Excellent Homemade Food-One Of The Best Restraunts In Glasgow”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Sheep Bistro

Black Sheep Bistro
Ranked #10 of 2,393 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
“Excellent Homemade Food-One Of The Best Restraunts In Glasgow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

This Restraunt is one of the best in Glasgow.We found the restraunt on Trip Advisor and as it has got 5 stars we decided to go there. We were warmly greeted and shown to our table where we ordered drinks off the extensive wine menu. Then for starters I had pepper and tomato soup which was gorgeous and rich with flavours. Then for the main course a roast beef dinner with Yorkshire Pudding which was again full of flavour. At this point I was feeling full however I was tempted to dessert when I saw the menu-cheesecakes, shortbreads and ice cream. I opted for meringue and puff candy ice cream. When it came out I nearly fell off my chair it was so high. A huge meringue topped with honeycomb studded ice cream and chocolate sauce. The only way I can describe it is divine. Also my dad had cheesecake which was silky smooth. The menu changes daily to ensure a variety of meals and the family who run the restraunt are friendly and chatty. The service is excellent and I would definitely be going there again.
EXELLENT FOOD.

angel1265, Owner at Black Sheep Bistro, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Hi , thank you so much for the fantastic review , I am glad you enjoyed your meal at the Black Sheep and had room to squeeze in dessert , we are all grateful for the time people take to review us and help spread the word about our wee restaurant as it is tucked away out of sight but these reviews really help people find us , hope to see you all again soon

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Read the reviews and had to try it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

After reading all the reviews for this little place I really wanted to give it a go! It is a bit out of the way as it is not in the city centre but only cost me £6 in a black cab from the middle of Glasgow. It is small but really nicely decorated with a friendly atmosphere. The staff were very attentive and no one's glass was empty for long. As for the food, everyone in our group of 12 really enjoyed their meal and there was plenty of it. The chips were amazing! The price was great too, really reasonable for what we had. Three of our group are going back again next week so can't say much better than that!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank karjambails
angel1265, Owner at Black Sheep Bistro, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
so glad you and the family enjoyed yourselves on sunday , I was happy we were able to fit you in , and its fantastic that some of your family are returning , and we really appreciate your time to write this review and hopefully we will see you again sometime
Tayport, United Kingdom
“hidden gem serving fresh home cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Having read all the reviews on TA we decided to book for our trip to Glasgow.

We walked from CitizenM Hotel to the Black Sheep Bistro which was about 1 mile, although the walk wasnt the most pleasant in surroundings and I wouldnt feel too safe during the hours of darkness walking through the underpass.......so next time we will take a taxi.

The Black Sheep Bistro is tucked away slightly off the beaten track. On entering you will receive a warm friendly welcome from the owners. The seating area holds about 20 people so its not too busy/noisy. The ambiance is just right with background music playing and a great scent of home cooked food coming from the kitchen. The menu is traditional with a twist and one is left with a dilemna of what to choose.

The wine list is adequate and good value. We had the Tin Roof Shiraz which was very good.

My wife requires Gluten Free which having discussed with the owners daughter/waitress, she quickly returned to the kitchen and returned with a number of options. It was clear that this was not a problem and they aim to please!

The food was excellent although I wish I didnt have the Haggis Neeps n Tatties to start given that we were unable to have a dessert or coffee due to being absolutely stuffed.

When receiving our bill we were advised that there would be no charge for my wife as the owner/chef had forgotten about our visit/booking/gluten free request which was very very honest.

In summary........do not miss the Black Sheep Bistro if you are in Glasgow. It is a hidden, family run gem, offering good home cooked food at a reasonable price, served with a smile and ensuring that the customer is happy which these days is rare.

We will return the next time we are in Glasgow. Well done to all at the B S B !!!!

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank onemanjazzband
angel1265, Owner at Black Sheep Bistro, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Black Sheep and I am so glad I was able to rustle something up for your wife , and again my apoligies for not noticing the Gluten free requirement , we do hope you visit again sometime and thanks for the time you took to do such a fantastic review
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Glasgow's diamond in the rough.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Family run, owner in the kitchen, home-away-from-home-cooked meals.

Black Sheep Bistro, hidden away from the sights and sounds of the city centre, is an out-and-out gem for anyone with the guts to turn their back on the endless franchise restaurants the city puts up.

Take the best country bed-and-breakfast you've ever stayed in, drag the family and its kitchen out of the mountains and put them in a backstreet cafe. That's the kind of atmosphere you'll walk into here - and you haven't even started on the food yet.

'Full' doesn't come close, consult your doctor before you book a table, and yeah, I'd skip lunch as well if you want to have room in your stomach for what's coming to you. This is the meal you wish for when you're ill. Hot, wholesome, filling food in abundance, with an unmistakable mother's touch.

I shan't write exactly what we ordered, since the chances are that tomorrow the menu will have morphed into something completely different. I am, however, sitting on Sauciehall Street in the middle of town eating last night's unfinished chocolate cake with my girlfriend which was lovingly wrapped in tin foil just before we left. I would recommend just as I would return; without hesitation.

3 Thank BlueLeaf04
angel1265, Owner at Black Sheep Bistro, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
oh your review brought a tear of joy to my eyes , I am so happy when people just get the black sheep , I think I am a mum first and cook second , I just cant help myself when dishing up the food to put a wee bit extra on the plate incase your right hungry and we happily provide doggy bags to anyone who cant clear their plate and that means when you leave you know tomorows lunch is sorted , once again thank you for the rave review
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Something for everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Friendly, family run restaurant. Bright and airy feel even though it's quite a small room. The menu pleased all our party from the 12 year old to the octogenarians. Good food, well cooked from staples such as fish and chips to the more adventurous such as smoked salmon and potato rosti. Attentive service when needed, left you to get on with your food when not. An excellent choice for a family meal.

2 Thank Belmarsh
thank you for lovely review , I am really pleased you and your family had a good time , we try to make sure there is something for everyone on the menu as I know its hard when there is a group of people to decide where to go that makes everyone happy , we hope you will all return sometime to sample more of the menu as everyday I try a new dish and keep cooking the favourites