“Tiny rooms, bad breakfast, worn out heaters”

Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside
Ranked #27 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Location of this Hotel was really good, rooms were tiny, breakfast which was complimentary was below standards both in terms of variety and taste. The Heaters in the room conked out often, mostly during the night, which made it very uncomfortable for us to get a restful sleep as we weren't used to the cold autumn days in Glasgow. On the brighter side the reception staff, servers and the general staff were helpful, pleasant and cheerful. I would recommend this hotel only for a quick business visit, although you would have to go to work without a proper, filling breakfast on most days.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
gmexpressglasgow, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you experienced problems with the heating system in your bedroom, we will look into this as a matter of urgency. We are disappointed that our complimentary hot buffet breakfast did not meet your requirements on this occasion. We do not provide a full cooked breakfast as we are a Holiday Inn Express property, we offer a continental breakfast with an additional three hot items which are scrambled egg, sausages and beans.

Regards,

Donna O'Hanlon
Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Me and my mate, were at a Hardstyle event in Glasgow - stayed at holiday inn because it was cheap. I had been a fool and forgotten my charger. The staff were very helpful in finding me one to use. They were polite, helpful and went to so much effort - for such a simple task. We came back at about 4 am, hungry and tired. We asked the doorman and he kindly told us a place we could grab food. Breakfast was excellent! Overall, value for money was totally worth it. Staff were perfect!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We recently stayed for 3 nights at this hotel, two nights and then 1 noght a week later. My first impression was that the hotel was a bit out of the main city centre (don't know Galsgow very well) but then realised that it's only a few minutes from Argyll Street and the start ofd the main shopping area. Hotel itself was spotlessly clean, the Reception staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. Breakfast is perfectly adequate, althou I would have preferred more cooked choices at breakfast - the only options being scrambled egg, sausages and baked beans. There are no evening meals served in the hotel, although snacks can be ordered I haven't tried them so can't express an opinion. Would certainly use the hotel again.

Room Tip: The first two nights our romms was on the main road; the last night at the rear. I experienced no d...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen P
Reviewed March 7, 2013

So I had to find a reasonable priced hotel to stay in so that my mother and I could attend a my Grandmother's funeral.
Well we wasted money as we did not sleep.
We arrived around 2pm and we were aloud to check in as we entered the room it felt a little small but it sufficed as we thought we were only sleeping there for one night. The Staff at reception were friendly enough and directed us to a good pub
When we got back we needed to eat however there was nowhere nearby as my mother and I did not know the area all we could find was an Italian next door which wa okay
Anyway later we tried to settle but the room was very cold so we turned on the air con which just blew directly down on to my bed and my mother was still very cold, it was also very loud.we tried to sleep but failed with the noise so we turned it of but again we were both frezzing.
I also went down to the bar during the night to get bottled water however none availble. So the friendly night porter gave me two pints of tap water to take up.
So my mother and I tried to rest and thought breakfast would be okay but guess what!No it was disgusting no Bacon or Sausages to go with the reconstituted cold scrambled egg. Crossants like rocks extremely water down Orange and when I asked for a teapot the member of staff looked at me like I had invented a new word, when she dis bring one she brought it without lid.
We had no time to complain as we had to leave straight away as the funeral was at 9:30 So there we were freezing day in Glasgow at a Funeral with empty stomaches and very tired. When i got back I pbut a complaint in to Holiday Inn but heard nothing back no outcome of my complaints I don't the or my friends and family will ever stay at a Holiday Inn again.
By the way forgot to say when it turned light we found a lot off glack dust all over my bed it must have fallen from the Air Con.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
gmexpressglasgow, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay. We really appreciate any feedback, even if it is negative, as it helps us to address any problems within the hotel that we may have unfortunately been unaware of, or overlooked.

We really take great pride in our hotel, and the service we provide, therefore, I have sent you a private message so I can speak to you personally, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Management Team

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed at this Hotel Saturday March2nd.Id worked for this company so knew what to expect.
A big thankyou to Laura and her male colleague for their great Hospitality (reception)we had a dog with us and was on fifth floor.great sleep.great location.A big thankyou to the housekeeping and breakfast staff.

Room Tip: Great view over the river from fifth floor.very quite
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
gmexpressglasgow, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel.

I was so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay here, and your kind comments have already been passed on to Laura and Michal, who were delighted! We really pride oureselves on giving first class customer service, and I am so glad that you got to experience that.

I will also pass your thanks on to our Breakfast and Housekeepng staff.

Hope to see you back again on your next visit to Glasgow!

Hotel Management

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Brilliant, central hotel. Staff were lovely! Breakfast was great. Rooms clean and comfy. Views from the 5th floor were amazing. Asked for 3 rooms nearby and they accommodated this request despite booking at different times.

Room Tip: Nearby, affordable parking
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review of the hotel, we really appreciate it, and we are pleased you enjoyed staying here.

It's fantastic to hear you found our staff to be so lovely! And it's also great to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, and you found the room to be so clean and comfortable. I will pass your comments on to our Breakfast and Housekeeping staff.

Thank you again, we hope to see you back again in the future.

Hotel Management

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My partner and i booked this hotel for a quiet relaxing night and requested a room at the back and it was the complete opposite,we booked a double room and got a twin room,complained and got moved to a double,which we thought was quiet and comfortable,we went out into the town and came back a few hours later to the noise of air conditioning system and vibration in the room only to discover it was from the italian next door,we complained again and got moved to the front of the hotel to a bigger room with no heating except a small fan heater and windows with gaps all the way round we could hear all the noise of traffic and people shouting till 4 in the morning.Breakfast was really nice in the morning and the staff were friendly,rooms were nice and clean,hotel very secure once you are in, its jst a 5min walk from the town centre,but would never stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David R

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the hotel.

I was disappointed to read about your experience here. It is very unusual for things like this to happen, and I hope you will reconsider and come back again when you are next in Glasgow. If you contact me directly at the hotel, we can discuss this futher, and the next time you stay, I will make sure you are allocated a quiet room at the back of the hotel, away from the main road and the elevators etc.

I was really pleased however, that you enjoyed our complimenatry breakfast, and found the staff to be so helpful and friendly. As you also mentioned, we really are in such a great location for everything that the City of Glasgow has to offer.

Once again, please accept my apologies, and I hope to talk to you soon.

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel anytime.

Laura Docherty - Duty Manager