“Like talking to a wall!!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside
Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Like talking to a wall!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel is in a good location and the rooms are clean, what more do you need really? Apart from staff that can understand you?
The sign in the bathroom reads......"forgotten something?, toothbrush, razor, etc. call reception"
So I called reception and asked for a razor, the lady was eastern European and had no idea what I was asking for, after trying to explain to her for ages, that I wanted to shave my legs, she said "no sorry we don't have them" I knew she was just brushing me off because she didn't understand so I called back.... The same lady answered.... I said the sign in the bathroom says you have razors could you check please. Then another lady came to the phone and I asked for a razor AGAIN, to which she replied "yes, no problem we have them at reception" How hard was that???? honestly!
So after shaving my legs and was quite happy, until the next day when I asked for a pair of scissors from reception and the same lady handed me a pen!...... a pen!!!!
I could do nothing but walk away and shake my head.
Very disappointed, as I travel allot on business and will not be staying here again or recommending it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We paid around 60 pounds per night to stay here for 3 nights for a professional conference. The staff could not do enough to help us - the rooms are very clean,obviously not 5 star luxury but this is a fraction of the cost. I could barely believe breakfast was in this price - and it was pretty decent with plenty of continental stuff and some hot items like sausages, scrambled eggs and beans. No distance from the heart of town and on the Clyde. Even better - in my view one of the best pubs in Glasgow the Scotia bar is almost next door! Well done team - brilliant. PS- don't eat at the italian restaurant next door - the manageress is absolutely crazy - thought we were not going to get out alive when my colleague's fish was complained about for being past it's best - " I am deeply offended - and my husband is the chef" she said! No refund! Previous stories of him leaving kitchen with knife yelling by other customers - I would believe it from reaction we got!!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

This hotel feels like a hostel and I'll never stay here again. At the front doors you're welcome by groups of people, mainly Asian, smoking. Once you check in the room is cold, you feel a breeze coming through the window and the air con doesn't work so you have no heating. The TV is from the 80s with a rubbish picture and sound. There was a power cut for 3 hours on the evening I stayed. Bad food at breakfast. Just a cheap hotel that isn't worth what it charges. Go to the one in theatreland instead.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear bristolsmeg,

Thank you for you review. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry about the inconvenience you experienced due to power interruption and for the quality of breakfast served during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for any negative impression you may have at our hotel. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Lovely friendly staff made checking in easy and hassle free.
The room was clean and spacious with everything you could need for making a drink in the morning, and a list of toiletry supplies to choose from if you forgot to pack anything.
It was a great location to get to the Celtic football stadium, just a £3.60 cab fair, and a couple of minutes walk into the shopping area.

• Stayed September 2012
Fittleworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here for one night on business. The room was clean, fairly basic but had two comfortable single beds and a decent shower. I slept well which is, at the end of the day, what I wanted from the hotel.

The staff were helpful and friendly and there was a relaxed atmosphgere in the bar. Breakfast was included in the price and was basic but perfectly edible with a choice of hot and cold meals. If I'm back in Glasgow I'll stay there again.

West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Close to river and the centre of Glasgow within easy walking of George Square and so the 500 bus every 15 minutes to the airport. It is about a 20 minute brisk walk to the conference centre along the River Clyde. The staff are very friendly and an excellent pizza can be ordered after 10pm if you are feeling hungry. Of particular note there is an original 200 year old pub 2 doors away with occasional live music and an excellent atmosphere. Complementary breakfast is available the next morning at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
whitstable, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

The only good thing about this hotel is its location. It was in easy walking distance of my business meeting and of the city centre.

It is overpriced- even taking into account its city location.(It was booked for c £115 through a corporate agency but you may get a better deal via the web). It wasn’t immediately obvious from their website that they don’t have a restaurant. Only breakfast and sandwiches are available. I had had a long, tiring, journey and even though they have a deal with the restaurant next door- the inability to order a hot food or room service was a definite minus.

The bed was comfortable though despite their claim re pillows all mine seemed firm. It was noisy. I did not have a good night’s sleep. The ‘power shower’ is no more powerful than my domestic most definitely non-power shower.

The carpet in my room was grimy and need replacing. The extractor fan in the bathroom didn’t work and was also very grimy. For some reason I had been allocated a disabled room and the disabled fittings were also very dirty and needed a deep clean. The bathroom smelt stale and there was hint old urine in the air. Yuk!

Breakfast was a bit of a bun fight. The scrambled eggs were surprisingly good but the only sausages were meat – no veggie alternative. The rolls were uninspiring and the layout of the buffet is poor and cramped. Staff seemed to ignore this and tried to walk through guests. The coffee was good, the fruit was tired. At busy times there is not enough seating.

Security seemed good even though there were no safes in the rooms. Access to the lifts and stairwells requires a room key. This is good.

For the price paid I would expect a trouser press or iron in the room. There was neither.

The lighting was inadequate for working/reading.

The reception staff were helpful when pressed but not spontaneously so. The breakfast staff less so. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to stay here – or another Holiday Inn Express – again.

The photos aren't great as they were taken at night on my mobile – but they show enough.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear mushroombutty,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a detailed review. I am glad to know that you found our location suitable enough for your stay. I apologize if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the room issues you encountered and service you received from our staff. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.