“'This is how it could have looked'”

House for an Art Lover
Ranked #8 of 339 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1901 and built in the attractive setting of Bellahouston Park in the 1990s, House for an Art Lover allows the visitor an insight into Mackintosh's renowned talent not just as an architect, but as a an artist, designer and pioneer of the Modern Movement. The venue runs regular arts themed events and is home to the popular Art Lover's Cafe.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

How often do you look at the remnants of some Roman building whilst contrasting it with some artistic mock up of how it could have looked - but at least what's left is real.
If you construct something from scratch and put it somewhere else(e.g Las Vegas) we look down our noses and call it tacky, but if it's one of our own, no problem.
To be fair I've given this 4 stars because even if you're not a fan of Mcintosh the interior looks fantastic and in its own way better than the Glasgow School of Art - but that was real.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,042)
All reviews
"afternoon tea"
in 22 reviews
"scones"

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I recently had a half a day in Glasgow and wanted to 'see some Mackintosh'. A google search pointed me to House of an Art lover.

I did not know that the house is, in fact, new and build according to his plans. But the very informative exhibits told me everything about how this place came about.

The building and grounds are wonderful. The interiors made me want to move in, and the exhibits explained how everything was made, even the fabrics that I didn't even notice the first way around.

Staff was very helpful, parts of the garden looks like a local art project that I didn't get, but never mind, it was a wonderful place to visit. The cafe looked good but we didn't have time to go.

In the white room facing the garden they had a wedding coming in later the same day, and I noticed that the font of the menu was the same as in the rest of the house. Nice touch, and the flowers look nice too. What a fun and whimsical place to celebrate your wedding!

I recommend a visit for everybody interested in art, design and architecture. Or weddings! :-)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We got married at the HFAL on 21 June 2013, everything went as planned, no problems. The venue is beautiful, staff attentive and professional, excellent food, beautifully presented. Laura our wedding co-ordinator was top class as was Craig our Master of Ceremony.

I would highly recommend HFAL, we had an amazing day to remember and all our guests thoroughly enjoyed.

I cannot thank the staff enough for all their hard work which made the day go so smoothly.

Looking forward to going back for lunch very soon.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This building is a mock up from original drawins by Rennie McKintosh. But the place is no "mockintosh" pad. His unique style comes through in every detail of the house and, if you love or hate his designs, they are unique. Loved the furniture which RM also designed. In fact, he designed everything down to the cutlery. OCD or what! this man was a Genuine Genius.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is 2 places IN ONE.

Rene Mackintosh - as he designed a house - very few rooms but.... stunning - plenty of offer of 2 for 1
Has a Café/Restraunt open all afternoon (do not have to go to the House) - serves some of the Best Food in Glasgow at very competitive prices - if you want bulk and heavy food perhaps not for you. Good wine list - by glass and bottle - a treat. Very Pretty Garden as well - impossible to find in a Car - find the Car Park to the Dry Ski Centre and you are there