“April 2014 Visit”

The Glasgow School of Art
Ranked #2 of 84 Shopping in Glasgow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Join a 45 minute'Mackintosh at the GSA' tour to discover original furniture, the history of the Mackintosh building and the architects life and work, from student to master designer. Restoration is underway following a serious fire in 2014, as such there is no access to the interiors of the Mackintosh building. Explore the rich history of The Glasgow School of Art at the 'Window on Mackintosh' Visitor Centre through artefacts from GSA's Archives and Collections, illuminating life at the School from 1845 to present day. Step outside this summer with GSA's Walking Tours to explore Glasgow's creative past and present. Invest in new talent hailing from the School or pick up the perfect memento of your visit in the GSA Shop. The 'Window on Mackintosh' Visitor Centre and GSA Shop in the Reid building at 164 Renfrew Street are open 10Am - 4.30Pm, 7 days a week. Tours depart from the 'Window on Mackintosh' 7 days a week. Every purchase supports the School.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I visited the Glasgow School of Art in April via an excellent tour led by a post graduate student. I was actually surprised since I had expected a much larger building - but the design is inspirational; I particularly enjoyed the views of Glasgow from the "hen run", the marbled cement staircases, the library and the board/ committee room.

I wished that I had signed up for an 'Art Nouveau' tour - and would love to visit his other masterpieces. As always, I think it would have been helpful to show photos of a Victorian counterpart to emphasise the disruptive nature of his vision.

Given the May fire, as a fan of architecture, I feel incredibly lucky to have visited the original School during April 2014.

3  Thank Aqua700
There are newer reviews for The Glasgow School of Art

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Great MacIntosh building-art Nouveu, but has suffered a recent major fire to the library. The rest of it is intact and well worth a visit.

2  Thank Ian B
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Having visited Glasgow many years ago and falling in love with CRM after visiting Hill House it took me a few more years to get here after having a family. We had a tour a couple of years ago and I loved it. The woodwork is amazing, the whole atmosphere is amazing. Last year my youngest daughter applied to go to GSA this September and she has a place. We visited again last October to look around on the Open Day and we were able to access places other people aren't allowed into. I sat at the top of the stairs with tears in my eyes at the beauty of the place and I still can't quite believe that Alice will be studying there. I was so sad at the destruction the fire caused but I'm sure it will be brought back to its former greatness. Please visit and help to get this place up and running again.,it's also worth a visit to House for and Art Lover if you are CRM fan.

3  Thank kazzahughes
Reviewed June 6, 2014

A wonderful and informative tour around the area around the Glasgow School of Art lead by two very nice students from the school. It was great value and very well done. we really enjoyed all aspects of the tour.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

As it was end of four year degree course for students we had the mini tour taken by Arseni. Architecture student. He was informative, friendly and helpful, showing us as much of this beautiful building as was possible at this time, including several beautiful pieces of Rennie Mackintosh furniture. Such a terrible tragedy followed with the fire the following day and our thoughts go out to all those students we saw working on their projects on that day. Like the Phoenix we are sure that this beautiful building will survive.

2  Thank diane e