1,664 results
All reviewshonours restaurantbig yingreek orthodox churchduplex suitechateaubriandmini barq parkcity centrelovely hotelstandard roomreception staffclub roomrestaurant staffcooked breakfastlovely roomstreet noisean overnight stay
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Our expectation of this hotel was that we would enjoy dinner and a good night's rest at one of Glasgow's central hotels. The dinner was fine, with good food and good service, apart from an error on the bill which was corrected before we paid. However, the real problem was the incredibly uncomfortable double bed! Basically the mattress was lumpy and every time I sat, or moved, on it the springs actually made a cartoon-like noise; the springs were visible through the fabric and I half expected one to break through with a 'boing' sound! I may have got the only 'bad mattress' but it gave a very poor impression of the hotel and I hope their future investment will include upgrading the beds. The other factor which ruined sleep (and was not the fault of the hotel) was the 'boy-racers' who drove round (and around and around) the city streets in souped-up cars with suitably noisy engines...this went on from around 10.30pm to the early hours. I have stayed in that part of Glasgow before and it is clearly a major problem. I know the Malmaison has complained to the police about it before, and presumably other hotels and businesses in the area have also complained, but it gives such a bad impression of Scotland. Apart from the obvious safety issue of speeding cars in city streets there is also the tourism angle. I wonder if 'Visit Scotland' (the tourist authority) are aware that all their efforts in attracting tourists to Glasgow could come to nothing if visitors to the city are continually harassed by these speeding law-breakers.

Room Tip: Ask about the age and quality of the mattress before check-in.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Had an overnight stay for my husbands birthday- overall a very enjoyable experience. Staff very pleasant and welcoming. Room small for a superior room- showing some signs of wear and tear in the bathroom but clean. Bed extremely comfy- some noise during the night from pitt street. Breakfast small selection at buffet and extra charge for cooked breakfast. Overall a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This was our first time staying in Malmaison on 1st Feb 2014. We normally stay close-by it when in Glasgow but that hotel was booked up this weekend so I thought we'd pay extra for a little bit of luxury. Unfortunately this wasn't what we got. Don't get me wrong - staff were really friendly and they did happily help when requested for taxis / information etc. Check in and check out were easy and quick. We paid for an upgrade to a duplex suite (£194 for one night) and being a boutique hotel I expected a really nicely decorated room - maybe a feature wall with fancy wallpaper or something quirky - bit of a wow factor. But no - the room was just beige, sofas brown and bed linen white! It was clean and the furniture nice enough (although the black painted wood was fading in bits and the mirror at the dressing table was too high up when you were sitting down). Some things were disappointingly cheaply done - bath panel was wood painted black and white simulating tiles (instead of real tiles) and you can't shut the room door when leaving without banging it. Also the lighting was a bit poor and doing make-up anywhere else but the bathroom was impossible. It was more the sense around the location of items which really irritated us. It might seem petty but when you're only there for one night spending time looking for stuff and having to bring things up and down stairs is annoying. Being a duplex you went upstairs to the bedroom. We eventually found the kettle and coffee in the bedroom wardrobe which seemed silly when you had to fill the kettle from the bathroom which was downstairs and there wasn't really an appropriate surface in the bedroom area to place the tray when taken out of the wardrobe. Although we quickly got some extra milk when we asked (there were only 4 milk portions on the tray) i felt that the tea/coffee should have been better stocked and didn't look like it had been filled properly - only 2 coffee sachets. once i'd had one when we arrived i ended up drinking decaffeinated in the morning so my partner could have the one remaining caffeinated sachet. I'm sure we'd have got more if we'd asked but we shouldn't have had to. The minibar was also in the same wardrobe upstairs as was the hair dryer - cleverly camouflaged in a black drawstring bag resulting in a call to reception as i couldn't find it anywhere. The prices for the minibar were downstairs with the snacks. Bearing in mind most people would use the sofas etc I felt that the drinks should have been on that floor with the snacks and water supply! The toiletries were nice enough (although id heard so much about the quality and i wasn't blown away by them and the tissues were cheap too), the bed comfy, room service great and it was nice to have a bathrobe but this was nothing we haven't had elsewhere for half the price. The luxury element just seemed to be missing.
Also, we have to agree with previous reviewers - the noise from boy racers at night is really bad (we were there on a Saturday). Not the hotels fault but we were on the fifth floor and if we hadn't been out late at an event ourselves and I hadn't had earplugs I would have struggled (went on until after 2am at least) so anyone lower down must have been deafened by it! Perhaps the hotel should lobby the police to crack down on this?!

In summary I expected more at this end of the market. It is quirky and the communal areas are lovely but the rooms (I can only speak for the suites) are nothing special. I'm usually easy to please and don't mind paying if something is worth it but we just left a bit disappointed. I'd have been happy enough at half the cost.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Susiesus
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Great hotel, staff attentive, nothing was an issue, they even made up plain pasta for the kids and milkshakes which weren't on the menu. The lunch menu was set, good quality, lovely looking and tasting. Cocktails afterwards were great and staff were good at making us made to order drinks.
The only slight negative was the private room we had was really the conference centre room! It still had the projector screen down. We would go back though, exceeded expectations.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last night, and found my overall experience to be Ok but nothing special. The room was modest sized and clean, but the bathroom smelt badly of damp/drains (although not so bad that I couldn't bear it for one night, as I didn't want to have to move my stuff to another room).
Overall, I didn't enjoy the experience greatly and wouldn't race back. A shame, as I had expected it to be a nice, boutique-style hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business