1,667 results
All reviewshonours restaurantbig yingreek orthodox churchduplex suitechateaubriandmini barq parkcity centrelovely hotelstandard roomreception staffsaturday nightclub roomcooked breakfastrestaurant stafflovely roomstreet noise
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This was our first time staying in Malmaison on 1st Feb 2014. We normally stay close-by it when in Glasgow but that hotel was booked up this weekend so I thought we'd pay extra for a little bit of luxury. Unfortunately this wasn't what we got. Don't get me wrong - staff were really friendly and they did happily help when requested for taxis / information etc. Check in and check out were easy and quick. We paid for an upgrade to a duplex suite (£194 for one night) and being a boutique hotel I expected a really nicely decorated room - maybe a feature wall with fancy wallpaper or something quirky - bit of a wow factor. But no - the room was just beige, sofas brown and bed linen white! It was clean and the furniture nice enough (although the black painted wood was fading in bits and the mirror at the dressing table was too high up when you were sitting down). Some things were disappointingly cheaply done - bath panel was wood painted black and white simulating tiles (instead of real tiles) and you can't shut the room door when leaving without banging it. Also the lighting was a bit poor and doing make-up anywhere else but the bathroom was impossible. It was more the sense around the location of items which really irritated us. It might seem petty but when you're only there for one night spending time looking for stuff and having to bring things up and down stairs is annoying. Being a duplex you went upstairs to the bedroom. We eventually found the kettle and coffee in the bedroom wardrobe which seemed silly when you had to fill the kettle from the bathroom which was downstairs and there wasn't really an appropriate surface in the bedroom area to place the tray when taken out of the wardrobe. Although we quickly got some extra milk when we asked (there were only 4 milk portions on the tray) i felt that the tea/coffee should have been better stocked and didn't look like it had been filled properly - only 2 coffee sachets. once i'd had one when we arrived i ended up drinking decaffeinated in the morning so my partner could have the one remaining caffeinated sachet. I'm sure we'd have got more if we'd asked but we shouldn't have had to. The minibar was also in the same wardrobe upstairs as was the hair dryer - cleverly camouflaged in a black drawstring bag resulting in a call to reception as i couldn't find it anywhere. The prices for the minibar were downstairs with the snacks. Bearing in mind most people would use the sofas etc I felt that the drinks should have been on that floor with the snacks and water supply! The toiletries were nice enough (although id heard so much about the quality and i wasn't blown away by them and the tissues were cheap too), the bed comfy, room service great and it was nice to have a bathrobe but this was nothing we haven't had elsewhere for half the price. The luxury element just seemed to be missing.
Also, we have to agree with previous reviewers - the noise from boy racers at night is really bad (we were there on a Saturday). Not the hotels fault but we were on the fifth floor and if we hadn't been out late at an event ourselves and I hadn't had earplugs I would have struggled (went on until after 2am at least) so anyone lower down must have been deafened by it! Perhaps the hotel should lobby the police to crack down on this?!

In summary I expected more at this end of the market. It is quirky and the communal areas are lovely but the rooms (I can only speak for the suites) are nothing special. I'm usually easy to please and don't mind paying if something is worth it but we just left a bit disappointed. I'd have been happy enough at half the cost.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Susiesus
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Great hotel, staff attentive, nothing was an issue, they even made up plain pasta for the kids and milkshakes which weren't on the menu. The lunch menu was set, good quality, lovely looking and tasting. Cocktails afterwards were great and staff were good at making us made to order drinks.
The only slight negative was the private room we had was really the conference centre room! It still had the projector screen down. We would go back though, exceeded expectations.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last night, and found my overall experience to be Ok but nothing special. The room was modest sized and clean, but the bathroom smelt badly of damp/drains (although not so bad that I couldn't bear it for one night, as I didn't want to have to move my stuff to another room).
Overall, I didn't enjoy the experience greatly and wouldn't race back. A shame, as I had expected it to be a nice, boutique-style hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I arrived quite late on an early mid week night. The check in was friendly and efficient. But, that’s where my positive comments end.

I was given the dreaded Room 160 which other reviewers have also commented on. It’s tiny and is next to both the reception and the lifts – so it’s constantly noisy. It also overlooks the internal bar (i.e. it has no external windows), so it’s also very claustrophobic. The bathroom is so small that when you open the door – it nearly hits the toilet and blocks access to the bath.

As the noise of the music from the (nearly empty) bar was so loud in the room, I called reception to complain. After 10 minutes of no action; I walked back to the reception with my bags. I was told that there were no other rooms available that night! What nonsense – the hotel was nowhere near full as was demonstrated the next morning when we ate breakfast in an almost empty breakfast room.

This is an expensive hotel – so I would have expected more from it. Like other reviewers, I have stayed at Malmaison hotels throughout the county – and this one lets the group of hotels down very badly. Poor customer care, impersonal and poor design and planning. Also - it needs a good refurb / renovation; as it’s looking very tired.

Room Tip: Avoid internal rooms that overlook the bar
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I've stayed in quite a few Malmaisons and although this hotel has many of the familiar characteristics, it's not quite up to the same standard as some of the others in regard to location, staff and decor. Firstly, the location, which is a strange combination of being away from the main streets in Glasgow you would want to be near to but many of the rooms still face onto a busy road. I was in room 150 which is on the ground floor and has large windows / doors opening directly on to the street. This did not feel like a very sensible room to put a single female in given that the windows/doors didn't shut / lock very securely. This did not make for a very easy nights sleep (I appreciate I could have moved room but they had already told me they were fully booked and who really wants to have the rigmarole of moving room in the middle of the night). I would suggest to choose a room away from the road and above the ground floor wherever possible.

Staff were pleasant enough but just looked a little disheveled. The decor is fine and standard as per most Malmaisons although could probably do with a bit of freshening up, bathrooms particularly are starting to look a bit tatty. One thing I've noticed though is that the whole chain seems to be getting a little 'darker', both literally and figuratively - for example, I'm not sure why Sunday brunch needs to be advertised using a semi-naked couple in bed with some associated double entendre. Room service breakfast was a good as ever, delivered in a hamper (although not sure why this Malmaison insisted on delivering it into your room rather than leaving it outside your door as the others do which is lot easier).

I would stay there again - I'd just be a bit more careful about the room they put me in.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business