1,676 results
All reviews honours restaurant big yin greek orthodox church duplex suite chateaubriand mini bar q park city centre lovely hotel standard room reception staff saturday night club room cooked breakfast restaurant staff lovely room street noise
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last night, and found my overall experience to be Ok but nothing special. The room was modest sized and clean, but the bathroom smelt badly of damp/drains (although not so bad that I couldn't bear it for one night, as I didn't want to have to move my stuff to another room).
Overall, I didn't enjoy the experience greatly and wouldn't race back. A shame, as I had expected it to be a nice, boutique-style hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I arrived quite late on an early mid week night. The check in was friendly and efficient. But, that’s where my positive comments end.

I was given the dreaded Room 160 which other reviewers have also commented on. It’s tiny and is next to both the reception and the lifts – so it’s constantly noisy. It also overlooks the internal bar (i.e. it has no external windows), so it’s also very claustrophobic. The bathroom is so small that when you open the door – it nearly hits the toilet and blocks access to the bath.

As the noise of the music from the (nearly empty) bar was so loud in the room, I called reception to complain. After 10 minutes of no action; I walked back to the reception with my bags. I was told that there were no other rooms available that night! What nonsense – the hotel was nowhere near full as was demonstrated the next morning when we ate breakfast in an almost empty breakfast room.

This is an expensive hotel – so I would have expected more from it. Like other reviewers, I have stayed at Malmaison hotels throughout the county – and this one lets the group of hotels down very badly. Poor customer care, impersonal and poor design and planning. Also - it needs a good refurb / renovation; as it’s looking very tired.

Room Tip: Avoid internal rooms that overlook the bar
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I've stayed in quite a few Malmaisons and although this hotel has many of the familiar characteristics, it's not quite up to the same standard as some of the others in regard to location, staff and decor. Firstly, the location, which is a strange combination of being away from the main streets in Glasgow you would want to be near to but many of the rooms still face onto a busy road. I was in room 150 which is on the ground floor and has large windows / doors opening directly on to the street. This did not feel like a very sensible room to put a single female in given that the windows/doors didn't shut / lock very securely. This did not make for a very easy nights sleep (I appreciate I could have moved room but they had already told me they were fully booked and who really wants to have the rigmarole of moving room in the middle of the night). I would suggest to choose a room away from the road and above the ground floor wherever possible.

Staff were pleasant enough but just looked a little disheveled. The decor is fine and standard as per most Malmaisons although could probably do with a bit of freshening up, bathrooms particularly are starting to look a bit tatty. One thing I've noticed though is that the whole chain seems to be getting a little 'darker', both literally and figuratively - for example, I'm not sure why Sunday brunch needs to be advertised using a semi-naked couple in bed with some associated double entendre. Room service breakfast was a good as ever, delivered in a hamper (although not sure why this Malmaison insisted on delivering it into your room rather than leaving it outside your door as the others do which is lot easier).

I would stay there again - I'd just be a bit more careful about the room they put me in.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Him Indoors and I recently spent a very enjoyable weekend at this hotel. The purpose of our visit was to see one of our favourite bands play at King Tuts Wah Wah House and the hotel is ideally located, being just a block away.
Probably because January is traditionally a quiet time for hotels, some amazing deals were on offer and we secured 2 nights in a superior room with breakfast on both morning and a 3-course dinner on the first night included.The room was very comfortable and well-appointed.
The food in the hotel's restaurant was a high standard. We elected to go a la carte instead of the limited menu available under the deal, Because we were on the deal, a significant amount was deducted from the bill. Oh, and the backgound music playing in the restaurant was really good - kudos to whomever made the selection!
Although we live in Edinburgh, an occasional weekend break in Glasgow makes a nice wee change. We both love the city and would certainly choose the Malmaison again. And the gig? Well, the Holy Ghosts were brilliant - probably the best we've ever seen them play.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't overlook the street are probably quieter but it's a fairly quiet area anyway.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I used to stay in this hotel quite regularly but after a gap of 3 years it just looks very worn now. Desk scratched, paint peeling off, worn furniture and bathroom suite - just not up to the standard it once was not the standard of other Mal hotels. Also tonight I arrived to a freezing room as the heating was switched off? I know it's quite mild but it's still January in Glasgow!
One final comment is about the amazing Mal toiletries, if I'm honest a big pull when I'm choosing to stay at the Mal, they have stopped doing them in Glasgow! No body lotion or conditioner and a new shower gel which is not a patch on the old one - such a shame!

• Stayed: January 2014