“Glasgow Malmaison”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Great place to stay although the walk from the town centre to the hotel is like scaling Everest!
Really good friendly service and the food is very good. Rooms are nicely furnished but the views are not great as you face other buildings depending on which side of the hotel your room is located.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Raj C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,553)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 x night stay at Malmaison Glasgow in a standard room with breakfast whilst visiting family in the city. I expect city centre hotel rooms to be small and that's what we got. I understand other's comments about the darkness, however I think this is possibly the intended style. Generally speaking the room was alright, if not a little tired in places. A few niggles would be the fact that you can't turn lights on and off within reach of lying in bed, and the rather dated TV had channels 1-3 and an abundance of sky sport, and that was about it, plus no WIFI code was provided which is very unusual these days. It was pretty warm in the room, which is no good for me personally, sleep-wise, and no air-con. The GIANT window opened a little but then you compromise with street-noise which was pretty intense at times. Not the hotel's fault, but maybe they could accommodate a little...with air-con!! Not unreasonable for the price you pay I should have thought. The shower was a little leaky with poor pressure and the walls were like paper, but didn't exactly 'ruin' our visit. On the plus side, the staff were all very friendly and helpful, towels changed every day, and restaurant staff also very good. Breakfast I feel is the hotel's saving grace; the breakfast area is very nice also. A very good selection of buffet-style choices, and then the hot menu order is taken and cooked fresh. No complaints on the breakfast front at all, very much enjoyed, and served until 11am weekends which was nice too. In summary not a bad hotel, but needs a little TLC in a number of places to justify the price they charge.

1  Thank Revue84
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Slightly disapointed with my stay here... especially in comparison to Malmaison Aberdeen.

The decor is nice but becoming a bit tired - not what you'd expect for the money you are paying. The walls are like paper, be prepared to hear your neighbours every movement! I had a very poor sleep due to this combined with the noise outside, which didn't calm down 'til around 3am and began again around 6-7am.

The receptionist staff were excellent, but unfortunately this would not be enough to encourage me to stay again. Overall, you could definitely find better value for money elsewhere in Glasgow.

1  Thank JenJar24
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have stayed in most of the Malmaison hotels in the UK, and I have to say that this is the least impressive in my experience. The staff were very nice and helpful on the front desk, and of course it features the usual array of Mal niceties (the comfy bed, nice toiletries, etc). But the room we were in was tiny, very cramped and gloomy. The bathroom was equally mini. It would have been OK for a single person, but felt overpopulated with the pair of us. The room was incredibly stuffy, even with the window open -- and if you did leave it open, it was very noisy outside. Room service failed to replace the food and drink from the minibar that we consumed on our first night (we were there for two nights). Channel 4 was not working on the TV and they were not able to restore it (they said it was a hotel-wide problem). The lobby area is unusually small for a Mal.

All in all, this felt to me like a weak link in the chain and I would not look forward to staying here again. A general overhaul is certainy needed and would improve things somewhat, but even then, if our room is inidicative of the others, this is still a poorly laid-out building with small, stuffy rooms, and it's hard to see what difference a superficial sprucing would make.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Eldarro
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed at the Malmaison in Aberdeen and found it a great hotel but this one in Glasgow is not what I had hoped. While the front desk staff were very friendly, the hotel itself looks a bit run down both in the common areas and in our room. In terms of cleanliness, there was an old washcloth left in the shower and one of the pillowcases was covered in mildew stains. As for the room service, while prompt, the caprese salad was terribly blah. Next time I'll try somewhere else!

1  Thank Red_Cinquecento
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Three women watched me through the glass door as I arrived with a suitcase, a brief case and a walking stick. I was rescued by a man who came out from reception and took my suitcase which had been brought up the steps by the taxi driver. The three women continued chatting - quite loudly and close to us, while he checked me in; as though dealing with a guest was secondary to the real business of the hotel. He brought it to my room too - there's no concierge service. These people know how to do customer care - technically, but there's little warmth to it. Furnishings are very good, good quality fabrics, beds, pillows, towels and toiletries all well above. Bathroom fittings stylish and everywhere smells great. Price very competitive at this location at this time of year. The Bistro is also very good. It could all be excellent, if only the staff were a little bit nicer to interact with. Reading some other reviews, the management of this chain need to invest in some good customer care training - decide on an ethos for your approach to guests and teach your staff what it looks like in practice. The apparent disdain of some individuals is ruining your brand.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have justv returned from a 6 night stay at the Malmaison in Glasgow. My wife stays in these changes frequently so I was quite looking forward to the stay until I read other reviews. Luckily for us the service we received bore no reemblance to the poor reviews.

We stayed on 4th floor in a standard room which had ample space and was well equipped. We had a very comfortable bed and a comfortable chair to relax in. Unlike other Malmaison rooms this was light and airy. The bathroom was spacious and we had a great shower.

It was however the staff that made the stay so great. I shall mention names but in advance apologise to anyone that I may miss out as you were all great. To start with Nicholas the night manager was charming and more than accomodating when we were messing about with our initial reservations (from 4 nights to 6), Kevin the brasserie manager was a gentleman and looked after us every morning to ensure we started the day on a happy note. Sarah is a heaven sent receptionist who did everything for us from book restaurants, to call cabs, move luggage, arrange our lives really for the 6 days. Sally was exceptional in her service. She even wrapped and labelled a parcel for me and ensured thatthe courier collected it so I didn't have to hang around the hotel one day. Last but not least is Kirsty, who was so friendly and made checking out stress free.

All in all the staff, room, food, and cocktails are sublime. Ignore the bad reviews and give this place a chance. You won't be sorry.

Thank you to all the staff at Malmaison Glasgow, we will definately see you again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business