“Disappointing”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for 1 night and we were very excited to be trying out another Mal but we were very disappointed. The hotel is nice on the outside and we were welcomed by a friendly receptionist but we were told how to get to our room not shown with is something I expect to happen in a 4 star hotel.

When we entered the room it seemed ok until we realised that at the 'twin' was in fact 2 single beds right next to each other with no space between. Now for a couple of female friends it wasn't too much of a problem but it was not what we had expected and for any other 2 single people it would probably be a problem - we were advised that this is how twin bedrooms are set in this hotel and that it was not a mistake. Then the fridge - it was mouldy and was not very cold. We did get it cleaned but even then it was not up to the standard I would expect. The hotel looks tired and could be doing with a freshen up to keep it up to the same standard as the other Mals. The room was very hot and stuffy all night and we both had a horrible night's sleep even with the window open - I can't imagine how bad it must be in the height of Summer. The hot and cold taps were mixed and the water was coming out the opposite tap.

The food and cocktails were the best parts about this hotel - our 3 course set meal which was included in the £225 dinner, bed and breakfast meal was very good and the cocktails were some of the best I have tasted. We were 15 minutes late for breakfast but managed to get a few items from the buffet and everything that we had was nice.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you get a very good deal but don't expect too much even then - our friends stayed at a Premier Inn the same night and they're hotel was much nicer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nikki150886
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Hotel

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Never stayed here before, stayed in numerous glasgow hotels before. My hubby and I came here as going to Hampden to see Bruce Springsteen. Luckily for us purcahsed an Itison Voucher for a meal in the brasserie aswell, so saved quite a bit of money. The meal was lovely, which is unusual when its these type of deals. The staff in the brasserie were very professional and attentive but not in your face! We checked in after our late lunch, quick change and then out into the glasgow sunshine for a couple of drinks before the show. Got back to the hotel around midnight, went to the lovely bar area and had a drink. So can't really say much about the room except we both had a good night's sleep, so must have been comfy enough, I would agree with the previous review though could do with an air conditioner, I am usually always freezing but the room was really hot and stuffy but i thought that was because it was an unusually hot and sunny day in glasgow. Would stay there again.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights 15th - 17th June when in Glasgow for the Stone Roses concert. Booked the Saturday night through booking.com and then when we decided to do 2 nights, I booked the Sunday night special where you stay for £25 if you spend £75 in the Brasserie.

Good points:
1. Meal in Brasserie on the Sunday night was delicious ... plus great late night nibbles in the bar after our gig on the Saturday
2. Clean good sized room
3. Good service on reception

Bad points:
1. Our room was located along the corridor that runs behind reception - creaky floorboards meant we could hear everyone coming and going. The hotel really needs to do something about this. Furthermore, our neighbours decided to party into the very early hours of Sunday and the noise was unbelievable. We got back to our room about 1.30/2am, just as they were getting going. I phoned reception to complain at around 4am ... unfortunately at the point the receptionist came through things went quiet! Obviously this is not the hotel's fault, but I can't believe for a minute that I was the only person who complained.

2. The room was far too hot and no air conditioning.

I stay in Glasgow 2-3 times a year and I don't think I would choose this hotel again. There are much better ones. I would much rather pay the extra for Blythswood Square.

Room Tip: I definitely wouldn't recommend a room on the ground floor through the door behind reception!
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and i visited in January and the best way to sum it up is.......meh.

The room was a bit dated, the bed was like a concrete block, the walls were paper thin and the bathroom was cramped and definetly wasn't the best layout. We were disappointed as we had paid a lot of money for the room and it definelty didn't live up to the likes of Blythswood Square.

The only thing that saved the weekend was the restaurant, the food was AMAZING!! We had dinner and breakfast and it was great. Cannot fault it all and we have visited the restaurant since and loved it.

I would recommend that you book Blyswood Square and walk round the corner to Malmaison for your dinner!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria M
Reviewed June 16, 2013

have been here before so booked again as going to the theatre in Glasgow. a nice room with a nice view (for a city centre).nice bathroom products. could have had more coffee in the bedroom but if you ask they usually give you more. had breakfast forgot I hadn't been impressed with the full English the 1st time and ordered it this time. bacon and mushroom salty black pudding dry had a croissant and pain au chocolate instead

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Visited Glasgow in mid-June and booked into the Malmaison for one night (Saturday). Great location only 10 mins walk from the city centre. Glad we had booked in good time as Glasgow was full of people attending the Stone Roses concert! The reception desk is friendly and efficient making a good first impression. This was my second visit and this time round I was in room 550. Good sized well presented room with a nice bathroom (bath and shower). Despite the hotel being full of concert goers the hotel was quiet and we had a great nights sleep. The downstairs bar is stylish and again the service is great. Breakfast is excellent, had the full English which was great. One of those hotels where everything is done well and you can take it for granted. Can't think of one thing to complain about.
If you like traditional pubs ensure you visit the Pot Still on Hope St and the Horseshoe on Drury St. The former has the best selection of whisky I've ever seen. The Malmaison is handy for Kings Theatre which is just behind it.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend break from Friday night until Sunday. Firstly there's no car park at the hotel but parking on the street is free from 6pm until 8am Monday to Saturday. We just moved the car during the day on Saturday so the rest of the time was free. The hotel can arrange discount at a nearby car park if needed though.
All the staff here were very friendly and incredibly helpful, from reception to the bar to the restaurant, without exception. The food was excellent and the bar well stocked with a good selection of beers, wines & spirits.
We were in a Junior Suite type room on the first floor which was comfortable however lacked in electric sockets, annoying for those who need to use a hair dryer! A hair dryer is provided but we couldn't find a socket near a mirror. The bedroom floor was creaky too so you could hear people walking round during the night. We also found that we got hot water from the cold tap sometimes. I felt that the bedroom let the hotel down a bit. However, I would still go back.

Room Tip: I would ask for a higher floor room in the hope it's not as creaky
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple