“Ideal place to stay!”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Stayed at the hotel on the night before the wedding of William and Kate. Arrived around 10:30am hoping for an early check in and were not disappointed. Staff were welcoming and accommodating.

The room was spacious for 2 girls sharing. Nice decor and comfortable beds. Although the room was classed as a twin, the beds were pushed close together to form a double bed (although there was separate blankets). No problem for us but may not suit everyone. There was a faint stale smoke smell each time we entered the room but it did disappear after a while.

Bathroom was small but comfortable. We needed extra towels so called reception to request extra. Waited 90 mins for them to arrive, only after another call to chase them up. No problem as we were not waiting on them but I thought this service could have been improved.

The room has a nice juleitte balcony and double doors. Directly outside our room (264) was a police station and we did hear noise during the night which was disturbing.

Overall, apart from the few negatives mentioned, the stay was very positive. Location is perfect. Approx 10 min walk to shops.

We also attended Afternoon Tea event in the Champagne Bar for the Royal wedding and this was thoroughly enjoyed.

Also attended the

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Lynsey2008
Write a ReviewReviews (1,540)

Reviewed April 5, 2011

First night,, hair dryer broke, Internet wonky,,window won't close. Had to move rooms at midnight. No upgrade. Second room much smaller. Internet still wonky,very loud noises all night. Street noise etc despite being at back. Upon checkout had breakfast etc added, all removed after I assured not me. Same with minibar/ extra items added. They called us taxis, generally quite pleasant and helpful staff. Googlemaps shows it as being close to Buchanan street etc, actually it's up a large hill, not ideal with a case.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Ocarrie
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Stayed on the special sunday room rate, which was great value for money. Nice surprise to get into room at 1:30, room what i would expect maybe needed a little upgrading but still had everything you would want. Meal booked for 6:00 as going to see comedian for festival. Partner got to bar early and was given some great advice and knowledge of locally brewed beer. Staff in restaurant very helpful in knowledge of menu and had a really nice meal. Restaurant staff ordered Taxi for us when we had finished our meal and again local staff gave us advice on good pubs in the area we were going. Check out not a problem and used nearest multi storey car park and got a small discount from hotel. Paid £110 for dinner with wine, cocktails and a couple of beers and room was an absolute bargain. Will be making a return visit soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I spent the night here with my husband for our anniversary & made the booking via booking.com I paid £109 for a double room with breakfast. Checked in @ 2:15 to be told to come back in an hour? Check in is from 2pm! To park the car it is 60p for 15minutes. Had a bite to eat at the brasserie. Two tuna sandwiches, 1 beer & 1 cocktail. £26? Rip off. Finally got into the room @ 3:20! Couldn't swing a cat in it. Bathroom is a joke. Towel rail above the toilet pan? Serious health & safety issue. The bed, where do I start? Lumpy, bevelled, rock solid & not fit for a dog to sleep in. Room 107, this is one of the better double rooms I'm told! Yeh pull the other one. Left the hotel to put another fortune in the parking meter £3 maximum 2hours!! Started to feel really sick at 6pm, shakey & light headed. My husband started to feel it too. We were taking turns to vomit into the sink & let our guts run down the pan. We were ill!! Stayed in the room & both violently ill through the night. 1am & fire alarm goes off! Not an apology, zero! Left to stand in the cold for 25 mins. False alarm we were told.
We got back into the room & tried to sleep but boom boom boom music from the bar 2am -3am creaky floors, shouting, doors slamming & souped up cars whizzing by.

Honest to god, I have never stayed in such a place in my life.
You'd read this review & think they must be old, we are late 20's!
Never ever again, turns out we have confirmed case of salmonella which you guessed it is from the tuna sandwich!
If you've booked to stay here then honestly change it asap!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank MrsJ2000
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for a night away with husband . Whilst the hotel itself is fairly glam if you like boutique chic... the service would prompt me never to return. Took an hour to get a drink on arrival despite 3 requests - to be fair the duty manager sent us some complimentary drinks thereafter which was a nice touch. Dinner - steak came rare instead of well done - sent it back. Poured garlic butter on steak only to find it was blue cheese sauce which wrecked my dinner. Hoped that breakfast would make up for it - was greeted by girl who i can only say " is not a people person" - she showed us to our table and left us there without instruction, or even a nudge in the right direction to help ourselves .... the saving grace was the duty manager who did listen to us on check out and apologised. I await a call from the hotel manager..... I will say that there were some other very lovely staff in the hotel, but the consistent poor service by others really let this hotel down. Come on Mal....customer is king.....

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I have stayed at Malmaison hotels around the UK and have always regarded them very highly until I read a review for the Glasgow one which made me think twice about booking it for an overnight stay for my wife and I. I decided to go ahead and book it anyway and was really glad that I did.

The Glasgow Mal has all the hallmarks of a typical Mal hotel - boutique style, quirky and individual but there were some touches here which made this one special. On arrival, having booked the hotel on the interenet, I realised that I had brought the wrong debit card which had no funds on it and the receptionist couldn't take the necessary payment. She was extremely courteous and patient while I sorted this out (trying to do it via my Blackberry but struggling to get a signal). I asked if I could use one of the hotel computers to access the internet to take care of this problem and she fixed me up straight away so that I could solve the issue. Once that was done and we were in our room, my wife couldn't have been happier. The decor was top rate and tasteful, the bed was really comforable and spotless and the rainfall power shower was to die for.

We got ready to attend a black tie party in Glasgow and then dropped into the hotel's cocktail bar for an aperitif. The bar had a lovely ambience and the service was first class and friendly. I savoured a Tanqueray gin and tonic and my wife decided upon a glass of Sauvignon Blanc which was really robust and flavoursome and not a bit overpriced. After our party we both slept soundly and had a bit of a lie in before we went for breakfast. Breakfast itself was excellent and anything but typical. Rather than the usual cereals I opted for a bowl of crunchy granola with pureed blackberries and the creamiest yogurt I've ever tasted. This was followed by a full cooked breakfast with really tasty and lean back bacon, good quality sausages and black pudding along with perfect poached eggs - fantastic!

Throughout the stay the staff couldn't do enough for us and we have decided to use it again for our next shopping trip to Glasgow. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I have stayed at a few of this chain including a Hotel du Vin. All have been good and of a similar standard and this was no exception.

I didn't eat in the restaurant because I was meeting colleagues in the town but the bedroom was well equipped and clean and the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business