“Perfection!”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I arrived on business very late at night, almost midnight.

I was warmly welcomed by staff and checked in by the roaring fire I was given the Geoff Merril room,

When I opened the door I couldn't wipe the smile from my face, HUGE bed, HUGE plasma TV, large corner sofa a HUGE roll top bath in the room area near the TV

The bathroom had a double shower with a rainforest shower, full size toiletries, candles and matches by the bath

Lots of lovely teas and coffees complete with a French press.

The attention to detail was faultless, the fresh milk in the fridge for example and a golf club and golf ball with a little machine that spits the ball back out at you when you have potted it (is that the correct terminology?)

No expense had been spared it was quality all the way, I only wish I'd have had more time to play before my meeting it was bliss.

I'm going back and plan to take my husband, that bed was too big without him : )

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank SparkyG

Reviewed September 15, 2007

A number of years ago, my wife and I came to the conclusion that given the few number of nights we stay in hotels, we may as well pamper ourselves in outstanding hotels. This hotel handily lived up to that standard of excellence. From the moment we checked in, the service was amazing. All the staff we came across welcomed us from their hearts. We have stayed in many wonderful hotels in the last few years and I must say this may be the best of the best for service. The rooms were gorgeous and spacious and the decorating fit for revovated Victorian homes. The bed was very comfortable. Our bathroom was massive and beautiful. We very much appreciated the welcome Single Malt as well as the daily biscuits. We'd be back in a heartbeat.

The only challenge was the hotel doesn't have air conditioning so when it got a bit hot, one had to open windows. Those windows faced one of Glasgow's busiest roads...so we had to choose between a room that was a bit too warm vs traffic noise.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Stayed here for one night in a superior room, which was very spacious and well-decorated. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom (down a little corridor) had a roll-top bath and a double shower with lots of nice toiletries. There were all the usual amenities to be expected in a hotel of this calibre, flat-screen TV, CD and DVD player (DVDs were available to borrow from reception), bathrobes, kettle and a selction of drinks. In answer to a previous reviewer's problem, I simply moved the kettle out of the cupboard to make tea, it wasn't a problem at all. There was a turn-down service, when we received some biscuits, which was a nice surprise. Staff were also friendly and helpful
All in all, I find it difficult to fault this hotel. It is a lovely, luxurious place to stay, and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ohhellospain
Reviewed August 6, 2007

If you are aged about twenty-seven, or American perhaps, or on honeymoon, or like boutique hotels and a load of pretentious nonsense you'll just love this place. Why I hated it was not finding a plug for the kettle which was hidden away in the wardrobe, and not wanting to find 6 great fancy cushions on my bed on top of the great heavy bedspread -- which now seems to be obligatory in fancy hotels; what are we meant to do with such things when we go to bed? I always dump mine on a chair, but what a hassle. Here there wasn't even enough room for all the dumping that had to be done. But that's just the bed.

If you think it's dead romantic to have a Victorian bathtub in your room you'll love this place. I prefer mine in the bathroom. The little golf putting set in my room might have come in dead useful for smashing in the heads of the noisy guests who didn't shut up from 1.00 - 4.00 am, so excited were they about their wedding, no doubt. When I phoned down to reception I got no reply: NOT what I call the 5-star experience. Can you imagine that in, say, a Four Seasons? I got to sleep late anyway because of the noise from the patio bar or whatever it was below.

Breakfast, when we finally found it in the unmarked warren (you are meant to think you are a guest in an Edwardian country house) was accompanied by someone like Cleo Lane. I just HATE loud jazz in the mornings. Can't they ever imagine inside the heads of their actual guests?

One of the most stupid things about this hotel is the keys which are old-fashioned, to be fitted into old-fashioned keyholes under the low door handles. I appreciate that this is probably due to them not wanting to ruin the listed building, but it makes for a lot of frustration and bums in the air while you try to get your door open or locked. Hey, how long have you got to read this review? The "Please Do Not Disturb"/"Please Clean My Room" signs say "Don't Come In" (which I think is very rude) and "Do Come In". As they are both green and printed in some trendy pale small print, it's very easy to get them mixed up. Be warned.

Oh well, if you are Donald Trump or someone and adore wine and are dead impressed by interior decor, etc., you will like it.

The one and only thing I loved was the original stained glass. I would never stay there again. I now know that I hate all Malmaisons and Hotel du Vins, and, luckily, I have now found the perfect place to stay in Glasgow, but I'm not telling you where it is or it will be all booked up next time I visit.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank UKSapphire
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Stayed here for one night. Amazing. Staff extremely helpful, accommodation 5*, VERY comfortable! Huge bed, luxury bathroom. I hope to be back soon. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CB_Aberdeen
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I have just had a wonderful few days the Hotel Du Vin. I am a female business traveler and often away from home all around Europe. I look for hotels where I can relax and get peace to do some work in the evenings. This is also definitely hotel I would bring my Husband for a romantic getaway
I normally like the Hotel Du vin chain but this one seems to retain some of its old charm.
Some very nice touches, candles in the bathroom, lovely toiletries and fresh milk in the mini bar.

Great friendly service and free internet access in the rooms, I didn’t feel homesick at all.

If you like anonymous big hotel chains this probably isn't for you. But for a more Human touch you won’t be disappointed.
Only drawback was the lack of aircon ( not such a problem in Glasgow) But still my favorite hotel in Glasgow.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank JanetDerby
Reviewed July 7, 2007

My partner and myself have recently returned from a weekend stay at One Devonshire Gardens, we had read the reviews and where interested to discover if was in fact as good as it reputation, and the answer to that question is Yes without a doubt!

The room was spacious and beautifully decorated and it was easy to see that the hotel has recently had a lot of money spent on it. We paid £280 for the 2 nights, and while this may seem expensive, we thought it was worth every penny.

The staff could not have been nicer and catered to every request without fuss and with a smile, and the hotel has an atmosphere which instantly makes you feel at home.

We where so impressed by the hotel that we plan to marry their in summer 2009.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple