“A wonderful hotel experience - highly recommend it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #15 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Vancouver, BC Canada
“A wonderful hotel experience - highly recommend it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2007

A number of years ago, my wife and I came to the conclusion that given the few number of nights we stay in hotels, we may as well pamper ourselves in outstanding hotels. This hotel handily lived up to that standard of excellence. From the moment we checked in, the service was amazing. All the staff we came across welcomed us from their hearts. We have stayed in many wonderful hotels in the last few years and I must say this may be the best of the best for service. The rooms were gorgeous and spacious and the decorating fit for revovated Victorian homes. The bed was very comfortable. Our bathroom was massive and beautiful. We very much appreciated the welcome Single Malt as well as the daily biscuits. We'd be back in a heartbeat.

The only challenge was the hotel doesn't have air conditioning so when it got a bit hot, one had to open windows. Those windows faced one of Glasgow's busiest roads...so we had to choose between a room that was a bit too warm vs traffic noise.

• Liked — The service, the room quality and the beautiful buildings
  • Disliked — A bit noisy from road traffic when windows are open
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

Stayed here for one night in a superior room, which was very spacious and well-decorated. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom (down a little corridor) had a roll-top bath and a double shower with lots of nice toiletries. There were all the usual amenities to be expected in a hotel of this calibre, flat-screen TV, CD and DVD player (DVDs were available to borrow from reception), bathrobes, kettle and a selction of drinks. In answer to a previous reviewer's problem, I simply moved the kettle out of the cupboard to make tea, it wasn't a problem at all. There was a turn-down service, when we received some biscuits, which was a nice surprise. Staff were also friendly and helpful
All in all, I find it difficult to fault this hotel. It is a lovely, luxurious place to stay, and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — comfortable, well-designed room
  • Disliked — wish breakfast had been included in the price!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ohhellospain
Egham, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

If you are aged about twenty-seven, or American perhaps, or on honeymoon, or like boutique hotels and a load of pretentious nonsense you'll just love this place. Why I hated it was not finding a plug for the kettle which was hidden away in the wardrobe, and not wanting to find 6 great fancy cushions on my bed on top of the great heavy bedspread -- which now seems to be obligatory in fancy hotels; what are we meant to do with such things when we go to bed? I always dump mine on a chair, but what a hassle. Here there wasn't even enough room for all the dumping that had to be done. But that's just the bed.

If you think it's dead romantic to have a Victorian bathtub in your room you'll love this place. I prefer mine in the bathroom. The little golf putting set in my room might have come in dead useful for smashing in the heads of the noisy guests who didn't shut up from 1.00 - 4.00 am, so excited were they about their wedding, no doubt. When I phoned down to reception I got no reply: NOT what I call the 5-star experience. Can you imagine that in, say, a Four Seasons? I got to sleep late anyway because of the noise from the patio bar or whatever it was below.

Breakfast, when we finally found it in the unmarked warren (you are meant to think you are a guest in an Edwardian country house) was accompanied by someone like Cleo Lane. I just HATE loud jazz in the mornings. Can't they ever imagine inside the heads of their actual guests?

One of the most stupid things about this hotel is the keys which are old-fashioned, to be fitted into old-fashioned keyholes under the low door handles. I appreciate that this is probably due to them not wanting to ruin the listed building, but it makes for a lot of frustration and bums in the air while you try to get your door open or locked. Hey, how long have you got to read this review? The "Please Do Not Disturb"/"Please Clean My Room" signs say "Don't Come In" (which I think is very rude) and "Do Come In". As they are both green and printed in some trendy pale small print, it's very easy to get them mixed up. Be warned.

Oh well, if you are Donald Trump or someone and adore wine and are dead impressed by interior decor, etc., you will like it.

The one and only thing I loved was the original stained glass. I would never stay there again. I now know that I hate all Malmaisons and Hotel du Vins, and, luckily, I have now found the perfect place to stay in Glasgow, but I'm not telling you where it is or it will be all booked up next time I visit.

• Liked — The stained glass.
  • Disliked — The muzak at breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank UKSapphire
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2007

Stayed here for one night. Amazing. Staff extremely helpful, accommodation 5*, VERY comfortable! Huge bed, luxury bathroom. I hope to be back soon. Would highly recommend.

• Liked — Comfortable and luxurious
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CB_Aberdeen
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

I have just had a wonderful few days the Hotel Du Vin. I am a female business traveler and often away from home all around Europe. I look for hotels where I can relax and get peace to do some work in the evenings. This is also definitely hotel I would bring my Husband for a romantic getaway
I normally like the Hotel Du vin chain but this one seems to retain some of its old charm.
Some very nice touches, candles in the bathroom, lovely toiletries and fresh milk in the mini bar.

Great friendly service and free internet access in the rooms, I didn’t feel homesick at all.

If you like anonymous big hotel chains this probably isn't for you. But for a more Human touch you won’t be disappointed.
Only drawback was the lack of aircon ( not such a problem in Glasgow) But still my favorite hotel in Glasgow.

• Liked — Lovely large Individual Bedrooms
  • Disliked — No aircon in room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank JanetDerby
Dumbarton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2007

My partner and myself have recently returned from a weekend stay at One Devonshire Gardens, we had read the reviews and where interested to discover if was in fact as good as it reputation, and the answer to that question is Yes without a doubt!

The room was spacious and beautifully decorated and it was easy to see that the hotel has recently had a lot of money spent on it. We paid £280 for the 2 nights, and while this may seem expensive, we thought it was worth every penny.

The staff could not have been nicer and catered to every request without fuss and with a smile, and the hotel has an atmosphere which instantly makes you feel at home.

We where so impressed by the hotel that we plan to marry their in summer 2009.

• Liked — the staff, the rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thommo25
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2007

My wife and I have stayed fairly regularly at 1 devonshire over the past year. As our children are now at University in Glasgow, we had various weekends away. I need somewhere where I can unwind and we need a hotel that will take the dog. Over the winter, there had been major reconstruction work in progress with the building obscured by tarpaulin and scaffolding. We were quite concerned when the staff described what was happening to the new rooms, and at that time felt that what was being created would not fit the image. I am happy to relate that the new rooms are quirky, but really fit the hotel. The staff are really entheusiastic, and the quality of the accomodation remarkable. I feel they have taken a good idea and made it better. Despite my misgivings they have made this one work. Well done!

• Liked — The whole experience
  • Disliked — nothing