“Glasgow's treasure”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Glasgow's treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I was married in this lovely hotel 3 years ago and my day was perfect, I could not ask for better service, attention to detail and care for all my guests. It was a complete success.
We now go back every year for our anniversary. We have tried a different room every time we go and every standard of room is lovely. This year we were in one of the top suites which was lovely and it was nice to try how the other half lives. Even though there were a few little things that I thought could have been sorted and found it really was not worth mentioning as we were only there for one night and I am sure if I did report these little things they would have been dealt with with no fuss at all. The staff will do anything for you without hesitation and with a smile and care you do not get in every hotel. We were told whilst staying last year that they do not have a five star and were at a 4 star status but this I find unbelievable, as this is 5 star treatment. We stayed in a so called 5 star near erskin and it is not a patch on this hotel.
The food is excellent and we have never been disappointed with any meal we have had. The tasting menu is well worth trying. The service from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave is the best you will experience in Glasgow and surrounding area. We will continue to stay in this hotel for many years to come as we have stayed in many but we always found there is no place better. If you are looking for attentive staff, romantic setting and the best in town, look no further than One Devonshire Gardens.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, you will not be disappointed with any one of them. They are all of a high stand...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 288Lindyloo
ODGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Congratulations on your recent anniversay and thank you for continuing to celebrate this at the hotel!

Thank you for your fantastic feedback and I hope to welcome you nack to the hotel very soon.

Marianne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Having been eager to to try One Devonshire for years as it's set in such a beautiful building and location, and as I pass it every day, finally curiousity got the better of me. I decided to treat the girlfriend to a couple of nights in new surroundings. Apart from a lengthy wait at reception upon checking in, and the use of named rather than numbered rooms leading to alot of time wandering corridors, everything was perfect. My gf and I found the staff very attentive when called upon, and were always smiling.

The lobby and reception are beautifully appointed and very grandiose. The dark curtains, exposed wood and stained-glass compliment each other well. The room was in keping with the theme and charmingly decorated. Due to the shape of the building I would imagine each has its own character. All the amenities necessary are there, and I found the nespresso machine a lovely touch in particular. The huge bed was luxurious and made the room, however the bathroom is finished to spectacular standard. The huge deep bath was more than comfortable with both of us in there, so was thoroughly well used. Great range of toiletries to use too.

We'd never had any problems with the food from the Bistro downstairs when eating there in the past, so we ordered room service both nights. And on both nights we were not disappointed. The oysters tasted fresh and the steak was cooked just right. Nothing overly complicated but done very well all the same.

We had a lovely stay and it was like a romantic getaway in the heart of the city, such is the seperation you feel from the outside world. We barely stepped over the hotel's threshold for two nights and wanted for nothing. Dearer than most hotels in the city, but for good reason. It's worth every penny.

Room Tip: Take note of your room name, literally.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tomcjohnstone
Thank you for your lovely feedback; I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Loved this hotel. Beautiful room (Superior Grand), very elegant and spacious and the bathroom was amazing, roll top bath and an amazing shower. Bed was really comfortable and we had a lovely stay. I'd have liked the soundproofing to be a bit better as the noise from outside and from other rooms was noticeable but not to an extent where you were overly disturbed. The staff are fantastic, really helpful and knowledgable and happy to go that little bit further for you. Do give it a go.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the of the hotel would be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments; I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

motherwell
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

The induction was quick and very professional , the room was probably the best I have stayed in anywhere.
The evening started at 7.30 in the McCallan suite, free drinks as it was a corporate event, the meal was per-ordered , it was adequate and average, not over impressed!
The service was rather poor and erratic, I was missed regularly by both the wine waiter and other staff. rather frustrating.
The event finished at 12, but Dissapointingly the staff did not inform anyone that the drinks would have to be put on ones room, resulting in a hefty bill at 12.05 Am.poor show really!
The breakfast was tremendous, eggs Benedict! But again the service was poor, I think I would still be sitting there waiting for a menu if I never made a point of asking! I would go back, but not for food.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with several aspects of your experience and would be keen to discuss this with you in more detail. Please contact me on marianne.clave@hotelduvin.com or on 0141 339 2001.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regrads,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Have wanted to stay at this hotel for as long as I can remember so perhaps my expectations were too high.

Long wait for our room to be ready, misplaced luggage, dusty but stunning room.

What really let this place down was the service. With the exception of the wonderful concierge who obviously loves his job I was so let down by the service levels of the rest of the staff. This was most evident at breakfast where we basically had to fend for ourselves and hunt down staff to ask for tea/coffee. Not as much as salt and pepper on the table for our vastly overpriced breakfast. I asked for no mushrooms with my food and when it came there they were all over the plate. Just little things but all added to an over all poor impression of a stunning hotel badly let down by its staff who don't seem to have a clue what they are doing. Sorry but we won't be back, for the prices you charge I would have expected much better than we got. Top marks to your gentleman concierge though who was lovely.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank HL75
Thank you for your comments. I was very sorry to read that you were disappointed by several aspects of your stay and would be keen to discuss these in more detail. Please contact me on marianne.clave@hotelduvin.com or on 0141 339 2001.

I hope to hear from you soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We have been to One Devonshire before, enjoyed the room but felt dinner was overpriced, so this time we went for bed and breakfast and booked dinner elsewhere. This could be the perfect solution. Freixenet is a Classic room at the back of the hotel, no traffic noise, very spacious with dressing room and gorgeous bathroom. For dinner we walked to Cail Bruich on Great Western Rd - about 10 minutes - which has a lovely atmosphere and a superb kitchen. The deal at the hotel was £150 B&B and the meal at Cail Bruich for 3 courses with bottle of wine and tip came to £100. Problem solved.

Room Tip: Best to go for a room at the back as its impossible to shut out the traffic noise from Great Western...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris I
Thank you for your lovely feedback; I'm delighetd you enjoyed your stay.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Du Vin on Monday 3 March for my birthday. I cannot fault the room at all, we stayed in the Graham Beck room and I could have died happy in there. Massive bath, massive comfy bed and massive TV. The young guy who showed us to our room was lovely, really polite and professional but without being snobby about it. We were a little bit confused as there was reference to a room information folder but there was not one in the room. I thought that as this hotel has a garden out the back, it would be nice to sit out there at night but we couldn't work out how to get out there. Every time we wanted a cigarette it was through the vast hotel, out to the street and round to hyndland road and back up. Was also a little let down that I had emailed them an enquiry before booking and no one replied, so was having to guess at the rooms and it wasn't exactly what we wanted. I would like to go back to stay in the room that i really wanted but only if they decide to reply to me next time.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Lynn W
Thank you for your lovely comments; I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay.