“was very disappointed with our stay at 1 devonshire gardens in Glasgow”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #14 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
edinburgh
“was very disappointed with our stay at 1 devonshire gardens in Glasgow”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I booked the hotel for my husbands birthday as a surprise requesting firstly that they send a letter for me to present to him on his birthday the letter never arrived although on checking with the hotel they assured me they had sent it! When we arrived at the hotel we were told we were upgraded from a standard room to their next upgraded room. I was very disappointed with the size of the room but however we settled in not wanting to spoil our day. We were told by the hotel that they would organise a glass of champers on our return from a shopping trip it never materialised. The restaurant in the hotel was lovely and the service and food very good. However on retiring to our room it was equivalent to sleeping in a hot house both my husband and I had trouble sleeping and I eventually went downstairs to the reception at 2.30am to be told that it was a very hot day and would I like another fan in the room. I was also charged for a cup of tea I ordered from reception to try and help me sleep. I was disappointed overall and expected more from a 5 star hotel I did speak to the manageress in the morning who assured me she would check things out however I received a letter a couple of days later again saying that it was a hot day in Glasgow. I will not be visiting this hotel again please head to Gleneagles or The Old Course if you are looking for customer service in a real five star hotel.

• Liked — restaurant
  • Disliked — lack of customer service it was disgraceful
1 Thank cartersathome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2008

This hotel is one of Scotland's little wonders! What a marvelous stay me and my boyfriend had.

We stayed for one night staying in the cheapest rate available which was £150 through their website. You would think cause it was the "cheapest" rate that the hotel would possibly cut back on the perks or that you'd get put in a bit of a pokey room but that couldn't be further from the truth!

We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by a LOVELY guy who was so quick to help us with our bags and offer us a "wee dram" on arrival. I declined but my BF took full advantage of the freebie and got into an in depth whiskey discussion with the tartan trousered man (we didn't get to find out his name but his service and help was second to none), after a good 5 - 10 minutes relaxing in the front area we were taken through what felt like a really beautiful and calm maze of doors until we got to our room the "Taittinger".

We walked in to be greeted by a ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE four poster bed, table and chairs, sofa, walk in wardrobe with mini bar, slippers, bathrobes, tea and coffee facilities and a bowl of chocolate strawberry's on our desk!!!!.... and I haven't even got started on the bathroom. I fully recommend anyone to request the deep baths because they are simply lush!!! The bathroom was beautiful with a decent amount of assorted bath and shower freebies also!

Later on in the evening we got a knock on the door from a lovely lady who came to offer us some complimentary biscuits and cookies, which we did decline but again they looked really lovely.

I really had a fantastic time at this hotel, it seriously met all my expectations and I think all the prices you pay for the room and within the hotel are 100% justified.

If we were to seriously SERIOUSLY nit pick and if you held a gun to my head to make me point out a disadvantage all I could really say was that

a) We phoned room service to ask for a wake up call which we never got and we also asked for bubble bath which took an hour and a half to come to our room - BUT they did apologize profusely for any inconvenience!

b) We ordered continental breakfast which they delivered BANG on when we requested, it was a lovely breakfast with assorted pastries, fresh squeezed juice, cereal, toast and teas/coffees however it did cost £14 each... but like i said before even due to things like the presentation you don't really mind paying that much for toast and tea cause its so nicely presented and its given to you with a smile!!!!

c) lastly we were located right next door to a room and although they weren't exactly noisy every time they left or entered their room the door was so heavy it made a pretty loud noise every time it was being opened or shut - a few times we jumped out our skin cause we thought someone was trying to get into our room!

But none of the above would put me off going back whats-so-ever because in every tiny tiny negative there was still a positive to be found and basically the hotel is amazing!!!!

We were gutted we had to leave but its cracking that check out is at a lazy 12pm so theres no great rush to leave...

We just cant wait till September rolls round as we've booked to go back for my 21st and I 100% cannot wait!!!

Overall Beautiful hotel with amazing + friendly staff and very conveniently located next to lovely restaurant's on byres road (try the bothy for gorgeous affordable food in a cosy environment!)

• Liked — Everything! - the service, the room - EVERYTHING!
  • Disliked — really loud banging doors and pricey breakfasts!
1 Thank Hayleigh-Aberdeen
eire
Reviewed May 19, 2008

This was an absolutely beautiful hotel. An impressive sandstone building with contemporary and traditional decor. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. A complementary whisky was offered on arrival and duly accepted! :)
Our room was more like a suite, four poster bed with a hallway leading to the bathroom which was one of the nicest ones I've ever seen, rolltop bath and twin showers. Lovely arran aromatics (generous sized) toiletries.
The room also had a fine selection of tea and coffee available. There was a great range of magazines provided and the biscuits I just have to mention were divine. We had a full scottish breakfast for £17 each. A nice buffet of fresh cut fruits was available and the usual cereals, yogurts etc. One downside I felt was the lack of breads available. I enquired about this and was told that the bread I requested was for tonights dinner. The residents bar provided a nice place for our after dinner tipple.

• Liked — the large bedroom and bathroom
  • Disliked — room next to reception
1 Thank eime
London
Reviewed May 12, 2008

This has got to be one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. Forget the Mariotts, the Hitons, and all those other chains. This place is amazing! Full of character and gorgeous modern rooms.

The staff were all very friendly and welcoming, always eager to help and the rooms are fantastic. I managed to get a good Internet deal for my room which was probably on the lowest end of the price bracket but it was massive and really nice!

This hotel makes you feel like it's a home away from home with 5-star service. Just to give you an example: I was out having a few drinks with a friend and when I returned to my room the bed had been turned down and a plate of shortbread cookies was pplaced next to my bed. How cute is that?

The only thing I regret is not having had more time to fully enjoy my room and the hotel. A 10 out 10 for the Hotel du Vin. I'll definitely be looking to stay at another one in the future.

• Liked — Great service/lovely rooms
  • Disliked — The old-skool key needed to lock the door but kind of neat in a way
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Stayed here for one night and overall an excellent experience. From our arrival and the bekilted front-of-house chaps virtually running down the terrace to relieve us of our luggage to check-out the experience was good.

Nice touch to get a dram on arrival after negotiating Friday afternoon Glasgow traffic. Minor gripe that room wasn't ready till 4pm, although they do make this clear on their website.

Room was really very nice, with excellent facilities. Didn't experience the food as ate elsewhere in the city but the 'Whisky Bar' is definitely worth a visit.

• Liked — Ambience
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Stayed here for a friends wedding being held in the hotel. Room was in building 4 and was exceptionally large. Four Poster Bed, massive bathroom and shower. Fabrics and furnishings all of top quality. Bed was so comfortable. Each room has a differnet wine themed name. There was a huge skylight in the room which has an electronic blind. The wedding in the hotel was truly fantastic. Held in building 5, the whole event was superb from start to finish. Food was fantastic and the service impeccable. In a lovely area of Glasgow, the HDV ODG is really a jem in the city of Glasgow. I would recommend it to anyone needing a touch of luxury.

• Liked — Sumptious and Comfortable Facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Kent UK
Reviewed April 29, 2008

This could so easily have been a 5-star review.
This actually is an excellent hotel. Lovely. Beautiful old style luxury. Brilliant staff who couldn't do enough for you and were always ever so friendly and willing. In fact ,we had a lovely one-night quick stay and enjoyed the ambience of this beautiful building.
We had guests visiting and the hotel kindly offered us the delightful mews garden behind the reception which has what they call a bothy - a sort of small building mainly used these days by smokers. There, they served us delicious food and drink of the very best standard including a quirky Hagen Dasz ice cream dessert that came still in its own carton. The warm sun shone and we were very content.

Over the years we have stayed in virtually all the top hotels in Glasgow but this was our first time here. We will return.

Our grumbles, if you want to call them that, were all about the room. Some will think them petty and I wondered whether to even point them out. It was a large seemingly well appointed room and - as we had asked for - was overlooking the gardens at the front. Large windows, great views. The bed linen was luxurious and silky to the touch and the bed was a good size and firm. The minibar was well stocked and as previous reviewers have mentioned we noticed two complimentary bottles of mineral water. However, despite the above, I have a suspicion that because we had managed to do a late very cheap deal on the internet, we rather pulled the short straw when it came to rooms.
We looked through a couple of open doors as we passed them and other similarly priced rooms seemed to have been renovated to a far higher standard. The hotel was quite empty, so maybe a good move - as it was our first visit - might have been the quite common offer of a complimentary upgrade which would have cost them nothing and probably assured them of our custom at an actually higher price level next time.

We were given room 25, Verve Clicquot. On the top floor. It was dark and the lighting was inadequate. The lovely porter who took us to the room immediately apologised for the television not pulling out from the housing as it was supposed to do. This may again sound picky but it meant that it was almost impossible to view comfortably without sitting down on the floor right in front and certainly couldn't be viewed from the bed. Also the number of channels was limited - as someone pointed out above - why are we always denied Freeview channels when staying in good hotels? We rarely bother with tv when we are away but it happened, that we had had a very tiring day and were working early in the morning, so just stayed in our room and rested.
The other problem, was the lack of a freestanding shower. The hand held is not good enough these days for a five star hotel though my wife who loves her bath said that was one of the best she had experienced in a hotel.
One further suggestion is that they seem to serve a really nice tea on Sundays which we were tempted by but had already eaten too much out in the garden. As with the otherwise delicious breakfast, jam and marmalade is served in little glass catering portions. It would have been a nice touch considering the price and the reputation of the hotel if jams could have been served in a small dish, as in many high class hotels and tea rooms. A personal little grump I have, maybe because I am old enough to remember how it used to be in the good old days.

If you are thinking of Hotel du Vin for your stay in Glasgow then don't be put off by my niggles above. They are very much on the margin and as long as you don't get the same room as us, I am sure that you will have a wonderful time at this lovely hotel that covers a whole block of houses and is so well positioned for the delights of the West End.

• Liked — The delightful staff, delicious food and beautiful building
  • Disliked — The room we were allotted
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business