“Pleased and will return!”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Pleased and will return!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I will start with the service, I wondered if it would all be a bit stuffy and pretentious before I got here, but it was the complete opposite, warm friendly and inviting. The reception desk staff were lovely and just normal down to earth people, who actually smiled naturally (!) sorry I stay in far too may hotels and come across far too many fake smiles!! So yes lovely friendly staff in all parts of the hotel, from the desk staff to the Houskeeping maids to the jolly man in breakfast!

The room was immaculately clean and wow spacious or what, the bed was massive and by far one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, I was a bit lost in the bed as it was so big, but that's no complaint! Loved the power shower, so refreshing first thing in the morning before I got on a plane to the states!

Didn't have dinner and breakfast was a bit of a manic rush exercise as I overslept in the amazingly comfy bed!! But the food was tasty and yummy, very good coffee to boot!

I was only there for one night, next time I hope it is for longer and for leisure!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank lazy_beach_days88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Wonderful staff made the trip memorable. The room was beautiful and the hotel is dripping with character. Fantastic stay and highly recommended. It's not the most central hotel however, so if you're travelling into the centre by taxi leave about thirty minutes pare due to traffic. We were heading to the Kelvingrove Museum and it took a lot longer than three miles should due to congestion.

Room Tip: Book with breakfast and save money.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chalky82
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a night for a friends wedding. The suite we had was out of this world, also very clean. The reception staff were lovely and nothing seemed too much bother. The wedding room was gorgeous with so many lovely touches.
Very comfortable bed. Breakfast was delicious and we would not hesitate to go back.....soon I hope.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laurajbone
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Comfort, attention, warmth (February) and luxurious rooms.

A most enjoyable and relaxing stay, with staff which were helpful and friendly. We stayed just two nights - wish it could have been more - and ate in the restaurant on just one night. The food was good, but a limited menu. Somewhat pricey as were the wines. Breakfast was of a good standard and plentiful.

Room Tip: The rooms are named after wines - so if you have a favourite, try for that. Otherwise the rooms are...
2 Thank Morton J
HoJu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

For Valentine's day, my partner bought an overnight at One Devonshire Gardens. I got her chocolates. Whoops.

The package we got was dinner, bed and breakfast. It wasn't a 5pm deal or anything; it was from their own website, but nonetheless, I was fully expecting to be looked down upon, condescended to and snarled at for picking up the a la carte menu when I should have been restricting myself to the fixed price one, as happens so often when you book a deal.

Really, nothing could have been further from the truth. Perhaps the greatest triumph of this hotel is that while it's clearly quite a swanky number, the staff are friendly, welcoming, and human. Check in was relaxed to the point of sitting us in the fire-warmed lounge and offering us a dram. I saw someone complaining about the lack of options at this point for those of us who aren'y whisky drinkers. Why should there be options? It's a freebie.

One Devonshire Gardens is a row of townhouses, all wonderfully interconnected and the lounge was huge, comfortable and warmed by a roaring fire. I could have stayed there. But we were escorted to our room - all ten feet or so from the reception desks - and were greeted there by the duty manager. On opening our door, he told our stunned faces that he'd given us a special room due to our booking details - my partner had signified that this was a special treat following some medical treatment - and he wasn't lying. The room we had was certainly much plusher than we'd paid for. Over two floors, it was huge: long, high and wide. The middle of the room was dominated by a huge queen-sized bed with down (I think) pillows and duvet. To its right was a bath - and I mean a big bath, I could more or less completely lie down straight in it - a desk with coffee maker and fruit and the stairs leading down to the bathroom. To its left was a three piece suite, an entertainment unit and a wardrobe housing the minibar. In front of it was an old fashioned fireplace and mantle.

Comfortable, well-appointed and luxurious. I can't say much more about the room. I would mention the bathroom though. It was double. Double sinks. Double shower unit - bigger in itself than some entire hotel bathrooms I've seen - the only thing there seemed to be singular was the toilet. For obvious reasons.

Dinner was excellent. Fine dining, attentive (but discrete) staff and good wine. I had a medley of seafood followed by a daube of beef. Both were delicious. My vegetarian partner had a truffle salad, some kind of artichoke thing (I rarely pay attention to her choices) and a perfect bitter chocolate orange souffle. After an excellent night's sleep, breakfast was just as good. A breakfast buffet stuffed with fresh and exciting things followed by the kind of cooked breakfast that puts mere fry-ups to shame. The kind where you know every component part has been carefully sourced, chosen and cooked. I didn't eat again until dinner.

If you get the chance, stay at One Devonshire Gardens. Every part of it was an utter delight and I can't wait to go back.

2 Thank HoJu
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here for one night for a wedding and were generally really pleased with all aspects of our stay. The room wasn't cheap but had everything you could need.
The thing that impressed me the most was the staff, they couldn't have been more helpful without being over the top.

2 Thank jtb105
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was a 2nd visit and was as good as the 1st. Rooms are good and bathrooms great. We paid for superior room on a HdV deal and I think got upgraded
Dinner in the evening was super but only if you prefer quality over quantity.
Breakfast again was of excellent quality but not for you if you want a plate piled high!!
2 course dinner was included in the price we paid but we spent a further £100 on drinks, desert and coffee.
This is a place to go on a "deal" for the quality on offer but only if you can afford it, Drinks and other add ons are not cheap

2 Thank Deepsleeves